Are the police becoming to para-military?

Are the police becoming too para-military?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cadet_Shelton

I've been watching a lot of cop shows recently, and it seems to me the police forces in large cities behave a little too much like MP units. Do you agree?

...sorry meant to have "other" option... just specify in a post :oops:

YES! When L.A. SWAT teams have access to a WW2 German MG42 that has the ridiculously fast cycle rate, something is definitely wrong.

Well when you see 2 bank robbers with assault rifles, body armor from head to toe that do not care about living like in north hollywood its not surprising.

I do think that police forces are becomin more and more like a military unit. I do not think this is a bad thing though. They need to be well trained to handle the situations they are put into everyday. A simple traffic stop is not that simple now a days. Police take their life in their hands every time they take the street.

Yes, Law Enforcement, especially special tacitics teams are becoming a bit too big in the "britches" as far as attempting to align themselves with the military.

I don’t believe that police officers should own any firearm unless they can qualify with it, and prove that they are competent. There are a disturbingly amount of LEOs that know little about firearm safety, and what the weapon is capable of doing to a person.

Take this video for instance: http://media.ebaumsworld.com/negligence.mpg . The officer nearly blew this man’s head off because she was violating the following rules in fire arm safety: always keep the finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, and don’t point the weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy. The most committed infraction of firearm rules by LEOs - be sure of your surroundings and backdrop before you fire – is equally important as former rule. Failure to do this results in killing innocent bystanders.

It is a truth that, by and large, most private gun owners are a lot more familiar with their weapons than LEOs. Why do I say that a person, whose job is to enforce the law, is typically less familiar with firearms than the average gun owner? Well, it’s simple: The average civilian buys more ammunition for their firearms than the average Cop does. Did you know that the majority of LEOs, especially the ones in big cities like L.A. or New York, usually shoot their sidearm (or machinegun) once or twice a year? Fifty million private gun owners go out to the range or country and shoot often, sometimes as much as every week, and the ammunition sales show it.

I don’t even want to get started on the :cen: cops that chewed private gun ownership after the "West Hollywood Shootout", when it was civilians who provided the AR-15s that the cops used to save their own ass. Just as bad are those ignorant that think that a semi-auto Mak-90 is really an AK-47 or that an AR-15 is an M-16.

In each large metropolis area there is some kind of a speciality trained police organization to handle any type of an emergency that comes about. I believe this all was reinforced after the Hollywood Bank Robbery that turned into a masacre.

SFC

I think there needs to be trained force in the cities such as SWAT, or something similar otherwise there would be a need for a military unit set up in the cities to handle certain situations. The problem is they need to be more efficient with their weapons and tactics.. They do need more trainin and more understandin of the things they use.

They also need to remember that they are not military, and no matter how much "cool guy" gear they have, can never be. We tread dangerous waters by allowing law enforcement to become too militaristic.

We allready have a Paramillitary police force/unit that uses military gear and often has ranger traning or equal :)

Ranger training would not be good for a local police force. Ranger tactics are extremely aggressive and wouldn't mix well with civilians and dense cities. CT type tactics would be good but im not sure police could handle that type of training in the military sense.

the_13th_redneck said:
You mean SWAT?

No sir!

Well both yes and no

They co-train with Jägar units (Ranger units) ie the military. And is basicly more military then SWAT.

d982c302.jpg

http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/29/21/76/insats425.jpg

Yes its becoming more paramilitary in small degrees. No, military training is not a good idea for police. Military training specializes in lethality. Police training is best left as being less lethal.

Yes! and this is in direct alignment with the United Nations plans to "control" the worlds population and create a passive society where the leaders are the only ones with total power. :x :x

Out of my cold dead hands! :rambo: :rambo:

Back