Poland says no agreement on missile defense base unless US helps upgrade military

rock45

* Maybe I'm reading this a little harshly but are they kind of saying help as in help for free and then we let you protect us and other in the region with these missiles? I'll admit I don't know much about these types of missiles but haven't we reached out a lot for Poland since there break away? If I'm getting it wrong please explain, thanks.

Poland says no agreement on missile defense base unless US helps upgrade military

The Associated Press
Published: February 23, 2008
dot_h.gif

WARSAW, Poland: Poland will only sign up to accept a U.S. missile defense base if Washington gives significant help to modernizing Poland's military, the Polish defense minister said in comments published Saturday.
"As long as we cannot sign an agreement about a satisfactory contribution by the Americans to the modernization of our armed forces, we can't talk about our agreeing to an American installation on our territory," Bogdan Klich was quoted as saying in an interview with the daily Polska.
Washington wants to place 10 missile defense interceptors in Poland and a radar system in neighboring Czech Republic as part of a global system it says is necessary to protect the U.S. and Europe against future attacks from Iran.
Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski said in Washington three weeks ago that Poland and the U.S. had reached an agreement in principle after he received assurances that the U.S. would help Poland strengthen its short- to medium-range air defenses.
The two sides did not elaborate, and it remained unclear whether the United States had made specific promises to provide air defense systems. Polish officials have pressed for Patriot or THAAD missiles.
Klich reiterated that Poland's main expectations concerning U.S. aid are tied to air defense, but added that Warsaw has also identified 17 areas where its military needs an upgrade.
"I believe that in this range of possibilities the Americans have a chance to find somewhere" to help, Klich said.
Negotiations on the missile shield site and the eventual U.S. role in strengthening Poland's military continue and "must end at the same time," Klich added.
He also acknowledged that new threats may emerge if Warsaw agrees to accept the 10 interceptors, but said Poland would benefit from being tied into the U.S. defense system.
"You don't generally mess with the strong, but the weak you can give a kick to," Klich was quoted as saying. "If you stand by the strong, it pays off. And that would be the positive result of the American presence in Poland."
Russia strongly opposes the prospect of U.S. installations in a region that it controlled during the Cold War and has threatened to attack the bases, causing deep anxiety in Poland.

Full story
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/23/europe/EU-GEN-Poland-Missile-Defense.php

Poland

The Other Guy, Can I assume your pro-Poland on this from your comment? I don't know enough about the topic one way or the other I hoping for some detail. Are we playing hardball with them? Care to explain?
icon7.gif

I support Poland and I think we should help them upgrade their military. They're one of our better allies and I'd rather have my money going to Poland then to Palestine.

Poland

Hi 5.56X45mm
Big time yes I agree with those choices. I have nothing against Poland it's just the way I guess I read that article. Sometimes I get a little mad at countries taking us for granted. I have people blaming the United States for the Serb problem and the past war to me on other forums and it just tics me off. I wondering what are some of the areas where the need help the article didn't list it? I can only assume the bulk of there equipment is older Russian type in a bad state. Artillery, tanks, helicopters, etc costly items how is there economy? :cheers:

The Other Guy, Can I assume your pro-Poland on this from your comment? I don't know enough about the topic one way or the other I hoping for some detail. Are we playing hardball with them? Care to explain?
icon7.gif

I'm half polish. It's nationalism, I swear. :D

Half polish

So your half Polish but do you know what parts of there military need upgrading? I'm interested in what parts the article left that information out. I'm assuming helicopters, commutations, radar's, command & control, training on all levels, and maybe mechanized forces/artillery. An important question how is there economy can they afford to buy anything? Lets pump some life into this thread.

:rambo:

So your half Polish but do you know what parts of there military need upgrading? I'm interested in what parts the article left that information out. I'm assuming helicopters, commutations, radar's, command & control, training on all levels, and maybe mechanized forces/artillery. An important question how is there economy can they afford to buy anything? Lets pump some life into this thread.

:rambo:

I really don't care what Poland needs.... give it to them. Simple as that.

Poland has been one of our far better allies since the ending of the cold war. I've worked personally with Polish Troops and I will say one thing about them. Tough as Nails.

I would rather have $25 Million go to Poland then $25 Million go to Palestine or Africa.

Poland has the right to do what they're doing. We want to put a missile defense system in their people's backyards. They will okay it if we give them some help in training and equipment.

No sweat off my back.

We give free/little cost military gear to a ton of nations (some of which I consider my enemy) so why not help out a good alley?

Poland

Now I'm getting a better feel for Poland and the situation so does anybody know what they need?

Question: Why hasn't the Missile Shield (MS) been canceled???

The MS was was designed to protect the US against the Axis of Evil WMDs. Namely Iraq, Iran, and North Korea. And well, as it turns out NONE of these countries have a WMD capability, they are not even close. The MS was never intended or capable of dealing with a full scale nuclear attack from Russia, China or any ICBM armed country. If such an attack would occur it would be powerless to stop it. Therefore it is totally USELESS, not to mention exorbitantly expensive.

So why on earth does this white elephant still exist?

Answer: Has anybody check the share price of Raytheon or Boeing? (the major MS contractors). The MS has always been about money to major GOP election contributors, not about defense.

However, I agree with 5.56 about giving Poland what they need. They are an important Ally and they have been good to us. However we should give them what they want as an act of friendship, not as any type of 'deal'. We don't charge Israel for the annual $11 Billion and Poland is both a strategically important and a historically a much better friend to us.

Last edited:
North Korea has nukes. It's confirmed. But they don't have any means of loading them up onto long ranged missiles.

But I also have some issues about this missile shield.
Maybe it's actually for Russia but they don't want to provoke the Russians by saying they're being installed to counter them.

13th

N.Korea has a Nuclear device, not a nuclear weapon and its at best unstable. The last spectacular failure of nuclear test was a clear indication of how unprepared they are. North Korean fireworks are more dangerous.

They are no threat to anybody, but themselves. Its certainly not a reason to justify the abandonment of the 1972 ABM treaty nor the Billions invested in developing much a White elephant. Furthermore the MS is of no use against Russia which has 1000s of missiles. It serves absolutely no military purpose whatsoever.

Never heard of their last failed detonation actually.
But yeah, they don't have a means of delivering those "devices" if you will.
What makes you think they don't actually have a nuclear weapon?

As for the shield... I don't know. I guess I got to read up on it but it does seem like it's not a great idea.

Now I'm getting a better feel for Poland and the situation so does anybody know what they need?

I think I can answer this question. ;)

First of all Poland is one of the few countries that are able to design and produce almost all kinds of weapon systems for its Armed Forces but Polish military industry have one Achilles' heel and that is medium and long range AA systems.

So the most desired aspect is modernization of the Polish air defense by acquiring newest generation of Patriot and THAAD missiles in exchange for installation of the antiballistic missile defense system on our territory.

Second: Warsaw is worried that by allowing the US missile defence system on to its territory Poland would become a target for Russian ballistic missiles, so the government wants anti-missile systems, such as Patriot or THAAD, a high-altitude system, to protect Polish air space.

Last edited:
Back