Germany
Spain
Sweden
Austria
Switzerland

Congratulations to all of the teams that have qualified
drinks.gif

Euro 2008 will be very interesting :wink:

Congratulations to those countries who have made it into the finals. We, England, had a poor competition, and were put out on Wed last by a very good Croatia side. We will miss being there, but one way or another, this time we were not good enough. Best wishes to all the competitors in 2008. Have a good one!

I saw England go out in dramatic fashion. Just when you thought Peter Crouch managed to salvage something out of a complete disaster of a qualifying campaign.
And poor ol' Carson got pushed into something he wasn't ready for. I reckon he'll be the England number 1 a few years down the line but it was too early I think and I think most people agree with that.
David Beckham... say what you like... that he doesn't defend enough, that he doesn't have enough pace, that he disappears from games but just how many England goals have been created through his right foot?
Can't believe just a few seasons back Crouch was a Villa player...

The sound of the fans booing the England players off at half time was unreal.

Belgium out again? You'd think they'd do better... they got the players to do it... I just remember back in 2000 how they went out in the first round as co-hosts. Should have beaten Brazil in 2002 but the referee was obviously on drugs.

Here's a link to the highlights for England vs Croatia but I think most of you here have seen the video clips half to death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tySXICqFODo

And who can forget that match where England took a sweet 53 minutes to score against Andorra?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisaVSnvRFk

Last edited:
Great soccer post. Beckham is inspirational, and disappearing from games is often a plus point for great players, just like Zidane, and when I was a kid it was pointd out to me that when you didn't notice a guy playing in midfield it was probably because he was working away so well; because everybody notices mistakes or bad performance. And what a great goal.

Make no mistake, Robinson and Robert Green are fantastic goalkeepers. Pat Jennings, reckoned by many as the greatest keeper ever, recommended pre- Croatia that there was none better than Robinson in England.

The crowd were not booing their players, they were showing their displeasure at the poor performance. Message to the management!
Change of coach was appreciated by supporters!

Now we have Croatia again in 2010 World Cup, which, of course, we look forward to bringing back to England.

We have a wonderful soccer scene here in England at the moment, and I guess the same could be true worldwide. Football and rock makes the world go round!
Cheers.

Last edited:
It's truly the game of the world and I think the reason why people the world over know geography better than the average American is because of football. You watch leagues and you see this team... Hadjuk Split, and you wonder where they're from and then you realize there's a city called Split in Croatia and it's on the southern coast.
And you just won't be able to talk with your buddies if in fact you didn't realize that Arsenal was a London club.
I've also been an addict of Football Manager (formerly Championship Manager) since 1997.
And I'm still playing it. hehehe.

Brilliant. At its best it is such a beautiful game. At the moment we are blessed with Berbatov! I consider it a privilege to have lived to watch him. I have seen most of our greats. Stanley Matthews, Mortenson, Mannion, John Charles, Milburn, Ronnie Burgess and Bill Nicholson, Frank Swift, The Busby Babes, Best, Charlton, Dennis Law, Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, et. etc. etc. Up to today.Of course Di Stefano, Puskas, Platini, the great Holland team, the early Moscow Dynamos.

I still play the internet competitions, although I had to give up playing 40 years ago - but I've got a lot of grandsons! One of my army mates from 1953 played in the Canadian leagues until he was 56!

I love the European competitions. My main chidhood influence was the Boys Clubs and sportsmanship and citizenship was formed in those places before national service age.

Great to talk to you.

I was introduced to it by a Dutch friend who was a huge fan of Ruud Gullit, who of course became the first footballer I knew by name.
Didn't get to play or watch any for almost ten years after that.
I play mostly futsal and I'm good at that but I have problems with the outdoor games because my plays are too short and sense of positioning isn't that great. I can play out as left winger or as a second striker alright though.

Ruud was great, good manager now. I haven't played futsal. That's the Brazilian game with the small hard ball to develop ball skills isn't it? But I found myself with a ball and my garden was high above the surrounding roof-tops, so I introduced all my grandsons to it when they came round to challenge.

Now I'm old and one of them said when I was playing 'don't worry Grand-dad, when you go to heaven you'll be well, back to your best and winning again.'!

Positioning andreading of the game is the greatest skill for the top men, and the best I ever saw at that was Bobby Moore, England's 1966 captain. When the opposition started an attack, they would get about 5/6 passes forward before the ball was suddenly at the feet of Moore. Wonderful anticipation.

Last edited:
I guess I played more like Aruna Dindane. Don't know where he is now but he was at Anderlecht before. Lots of foot skills. Scores a few goals. Never seems to have any idea what he's doing though.

Back