Poland-Belgium 2:0 - Page 2

--

December 7th, 2007  
Del Boy

Brilliant. At its best it is such a beautiful game. At the moment we are blessed with Berbatov! I consider it a privilege to have lived to watch him. I have seen most of our greats. Stanley Matthews, Mortenson, Mannion, John Charles, Milburn, Ronnie Burgess and Bill Nicholson, Frank Swift, The Busby Babes, Best, Charlton, Dennis Law, Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, et. etc. etc. Up to today.Of course Di Stefano, Puskas, Platini, the great Holland team, the early Moscow Dynamos.

I still play the internet competitions, although I had to give up playing 40 years ago - but I've got a lot of grandsons! One of my army mates from 1953 played in the Canadian leagues until he was 56!

I love the European competitions. My main chidhood influence was the Boys Clubs and sportsmanship and citizenship was formed in those places before national service age.

Great to talk to you.
December 8th, 2007  
A Can of Man

I was introduced to it by a Dutch friend who was a huge fan of Ruud Gullit, who of course became the first footballer I knew by name.
Didn't get to play or watch any for almost ten years after that.
I play mostly futsal and I'm good at that but I have problems with the outdoor games because my plays are too short and sense of positioning isn't that great. I can play out as left winger or as a second striker alright though.
December 8th, 2007  
Del Boy

Ruud was great, good manager now. I haven't played futsal. That's the Brazilian game with the small hard ball to develop ball skills isn't it? But I found myself with a ball and my garden was high above the surrounding roof-tops, so I introduced all my grandsons to it when they came round to challenge.

Now I'm old and one of them said when I was playing 'don't worry Grand-dad, when you go to heaven you'll be well, back to your best and winning again.'!

Positioning andreading of the game is the greatest skill for the top men, and the best I ever saw at that was Bobby Moore, England's 1966 captain. When the opposition started an attack, they would get about 5/6 passes forward before the ball was suddenly at the feet of Moore. Wonderful anticipation.
--
December 9th, 2007  
A Can of Man

I guess I played more like Aruna Dindane. Don't know where he is now but he was at Anderlecht before. Lots of foot skills. Scores a few goals. Never seems to have any idea what he's doing though.