Pointless Wars - Page 6




 
--
 
May 7th, 2004  
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
 

Topic: Re: none


Quote:
Originally Posted by No MERCY
I think no war was pointless. Every war is fought for a reason. It was to protect the innocent and save our liberty.
i would have to say i agree with no mercy. Everything that happens is definately for a purpose. every war had a cause because one group had reason and disagreed with other groups.
May 9th, 2004  
silent driller
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1217
It would mean that a lot of people died in vain, because Vietnam, Bosnia, Korea, the first Gulf war, and the invasion of Normandy were "not smart". It would mean that I was never born, or if was, that I would speak German.
We jumped into Korea and Vietnam because US INTERESTS were being threatened by COMMUNISM. We went into the Gulf War the first time because the president claimed a US warship was ATTACKED. We went in the second time because Saddam Hussein (had, anyway) biological weapons which President Bush believed THREATANED the US. We went into Bosnia to strike military targets in retaliation for violations to UN sanctions and attacking NATO aircraft.
May 9th, 2004  
silent driller
 
 
And I forgot about Normandy! German U boats were on our coast and out at sea attacking our ships. As they were also an ally of Imperial Japan, who had deliberately ATTACKED OUR NAVY at Pearl Harbor, we invaded Normandy, France to put an end to the European war. Feel free to put up some more wars and battles that didn't threaten US interests.
--
May 10th, 2004  
airmanpatroler
 
 
Great Britan is'nt the great empire it used to be. So Argentina did need to get out of Falklands but the British need to just let it be a protectorate like Malta.
May 10th, 2004  
1217
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent driller
And I forgot about Normandy! German U boats were on our coast and out at sea attacking our ships. As they were also an ally of Imperial Japan, who had deliberately ATTACKED OUR NAVY at Pearl Harbor, we invaded Normandy, France to put an end to the European war. Feel free to put up some more wars and battles that didn't threaten US interests.
The WW2 was a WAR before the US ever got around to going to Europe. Germany was the agressor, and attacked several countries, including my own.
If you claim that the US had something to gain by D-Day, and that was the reason for it all, I think that's an insult to all the US, Canadian and other soldiers who died on those beaches. I don't think it would be wise to tell their relatives that: "they died for US interests" I'd keep it at something like: "They died for freedom"

BTW, why 'US interests'? Why not 'UK interests' Gulf war 1 wasn't started out of US interests, but out of Iraqi interests. They wanted the oil from Kuweit.

Starting a war is never pointless to the ones that start it, as long as they win.
The ones that join in are usually trying to end the war, wich is the best reason for going to war in the first place.

One more thing, there were wars before the US ever existed. They couldn't have been about US interests, now could they? Does that mean that they were all pointless?
May 10th, 2004  
RnderSafe
 
 
Quote:
I don't think it would be wise to tell their relatives that: "they died for US interests" I'd keep it at something like: "They died for freedom"
Is freedom not an interest to the US? I am sorry to tell you, but the US did not enter into WWII just because she felt sorry for Europe and wanted to secure "freedom" in the region. Both Japan and Germany declared war on the US first, remember?

The United States is not altruistic, they do not go into any war without getting something (see Jamoni's post, that you so quickly dismissed before). The US and her citizens come first, and that means looking out for her best interests before anyone elses. That is how countries survive.

Quote:
Gulf war 1 wasn't started out of US interests, but out of Iraqi interests. They wanted the oil from Kuweit.
And you think the US skipped on over there because they felt sorry for Kuwait?

Quote:
One more thing, there were wars before the US ever existed. They couldn't have been about US interests, now could they? Does that mean that they were all pointless?
He explained what he meant, and if you would slow down, you could see he is talking about why the US should or should not go to war. It is from an American perspective. There is no need to be so dramatic.
May 10th, 2004  
goaliedude66630
 
 
Quote:
"The american dream is to live long and die young and only thoses who are will to die for their country are fit to live"
May 13th, 2004  
1217
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
It is from an American perspective.
I kind of guessed that, but I wanted him to realise what he said. He came across like the US is the only country that matters, and US interests are the only excuse for starting a war.
I'm trying to point out here, that every country is allowed to defend itself if necessary, and no country should start a war for other reasons then defending themselves or others.
If he meant: 'The US should only go to war when US interests are at stake', then he should have said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
(see Jamoni's post, that you so quickly dismissed before).
I did not 'dismiss' that post, I answered very clearly that I wanted to know what Silent Driller meant. I did not mean to say that I didn't value Jamoni's opinion and I did say that I knew that there were several ways to interpret Silent Drillers post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
And you think the US skipped on over there because they felt sorry for Kuwait?
No, I just said that the US didn't start that war. So the US joint in out of US interests, the war wasn't started out of US interests.
I never claimed the US to be a charity organisation, that's what you made out of it.
May 13th, 2004  
Mark Conley
 
 
for those that like to know the whole chronology of WW II..up to 1944 that is...

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/events/index.html

By the way, you wouldnt believe the cast of nations that declared war on Japan...
May 13th, 2004  
Achilles
 
 
id have to say the entire cold war, koria, viatnam and all, containment is not hte anwser!!!!