PMC (Private Military Contractors) or are they? - Page 2

--

April 10th, 2007  
bulldogg

^^^ Executive outcomes... too bad they're gone. With aabput 600 professional soldiers they were able to go in, establish and maintain a peace with less than two months on the ground. The relieving force of thousands of "official" troops from neighboring governments couldn't replicate their results even with 10 times the amount of boots on the ground. In a third world country like any sub-saharan African country or places like PNG professional, private security forces are man for man, dollar for dollar more efficient and the way to go.
April 10th, 2007  
sunb!

^^^ Which in turn raise the question of the quality of the soldiers from the neighbouring countries and how the western tax payers money was spent.
April 10th, 2007  
bulldogg

Very true my Viking friend.
--
April 10th, 2007  
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
^^^ Which in turn raise the question of the quality of the soldiers from the neighbouring countries and how the western tax payers money was spent.
Agreed, I like sunb! have seen "peacekeepers" from different countries make a mockery of everything we have tried to achieve.
I will not get into a pissing match about what nations did what, where or when, suffice it to say some were below par as a peacekeeping force.

As for how the money was spent..I donīt even want to dig in that crap.
Thatīd just make me more pissed off.
Some people do very much with very little to go a long way to help others, some just help themself.
Human nature I guess.
April 10th, 2007  
bulldogg

Srebrenica?? Somalia??? Coite de Voire???? I'd say that in the last half of the century as much good as harm have been done by "peacekeeping" troops from national armies. Whereas the few times PMCs have been used they have been resounding success stories. I think the way the GC deals with "mercenaries" is antiquated and needs to be updated to resemble modern realities.
April 10th, 2007  
CanadianCombat

does anyone here have any links to photos of mercs?
April 11th, 2007  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Srebrenica?? Somalia??? Coite de Voire???? I'd say that in the last half of the century as much good as harm have been done by "peacekeeping" troops from national armies. Whereas the few times PMCs have been used they have been resounding success stories. I think the way the GC deals with "mercenaries" is antiquated and needs to be updated to resemble modern realities.
I agree with you bulldogg, I've seen fresh 19-20 year olds straight out of conscription service for service abroad - and I was stunned by their lack of confidence and will to react when the situation called for immediate action. Older and experienced soldiers should be called in for peacekeeping duties in cooperation with PMCs to fill the gap of not present units (ie security, surveilance, etc)

The word mercenary has been abused by the Norwegian media for over a decade when Grenadier is the correct term for the soldiers spoken of.