Pledge of Allegiance will it Survive!?

Topgunjn1

Right now our country is becoming so PC that it is completely forgetting the words of Our Founding Fathers.
Its like what am I trying to defend here? I know we should be tolerant of other peoples beliefs and customs, but to change so much in our own country.
When Benjamin Franklin made the statement "Separation of Church and State" He wasn't meaning we should take God out of school or government! What he meant was America would not do what England did. Create a National Church. Come on people...
Think of all the people who have died in this country to protect our way of life. If we change what they where protecting then what the hell did they die for?

Hey you're preaching to the converted...

I know that. But the damn Liberals in office and Power don't know that. I say that we should take America back. PERIOD!

'Nuff Said...

Luis (5.56X45mm)

I hope it doesn't.

I think our government is increasingly demanding MORE and MORE of its citizens for LESS and LESS output to them. I want the voters of 20 years from now to make a VERY objective look at what the government is doing for them, not just trust in it as the pledge would have you do.

Whispering Death said:
I hope it doesn't.

I think our government is increasingly demanding MORE and MORE of its citizens for LESS and LESS output to them. I want the voters of 20 years from now to make a VERY objective look at what the government is doing for them, not just trust in it as the pledge would have you do.

I hope you are kidding.

But isn't loyalty to one's country something to be earned? In my eyes droning some words about liberty, equality and some other nice words mean nothing unless they are ment.
Many European countries had pledges like that in the end of the 19th century as to wake up nationalism. Many communist countries still have them as to hammer the values of some old revolution into the childrens skull. But never did any man fight harder if that were the values he truely believed in and came to this conclusion himself.
If you let your nation ingrave these values as your own, you just set the first step as to become a tool for your government.
And I'm just not to overly fond of nationalism and governments taking the path a long theses lines. If I take a look at the family tree I can see what a century of nationalism did to my family...

I think it will survive if Americans believe in what it says. It reflects the foundations upon which this country was founded. It seems that the phrase "under God" is what creates the most controversy.
In my opinion, the pledge in general is way to teach children and remind adults what the country believes and what it stands for. Although we have a wide range of beliefs here and we don't often stop to think why we believe the things we do. It's the truths that are contained in those beliefs are what is important. It's the same with the Pledge of Allegiance, it sums up what we believe about America. Whether we believe in every word is not important.
What does it mean to pledge to a flag? Why a Republic and not a democracy? Considering the Supreme Court's rulings on things like abortion, homosexuality, contraception, etc., many wonder if our nation still "under God"?
It makes one think doesn't it? I think that's one of the positive things the pledge does for us and the reason that it will survive. We are not commanded to blindly obey the state here. We encourage our children to think about what they believe in, to ponder the truths that are contained in that little pledge, and to consider the words carefully. These words were not chosen at random, they were carefully considered when they were written and should be carefully considered when they are spoken.
Most of our family trees have their roots on other lands. It was not so long ago that our families decided to leave the old world behind and set their sights on a new and brighter horizon. They came here in great numbers to better themselves and to provide a better future for their families. In so doing they have adopted this new country as their own and instilled a sense of pride about it and a loyalty to it. The ideals of equality, liberty, and justice for all expressed in the Pledge are ideals they sought and for which we continue to strive today.

Interesting tidbits about the Pledge of Allegiance:
written in 1892 by a Baptist minister Francis Bellamy, this is what it looked like: "'I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.' He considered placing the word, 'equality,' in his Pledge, but knew that the state superintendents of education on his committee were against equality for women and African Americans. [ * 'to' added in October, 1892. ]

What follows is Bellamy's own account of some of the thoughts that went through his mind in August, 1892, as he picked the words of his Pledge:

It began as an intensive communing with salient points of our national history, from the Declaration of Independence onwards; with the makings of the Constitution...with the meaning of the Civil War; with the aspiration of the people...

The true reason for allegiance to the Flag is the 'republic for which it stands.' ...And what does that vast thing, the Republic mean? It is the concise political word for the Nation - the One Nation which the Civil War was fought to prove. To make that One Nation idea clear, we must specify that it is indivisible, as Webster and Lincoln used to repeat in their great speeches. And its future?

Just here arose the temptation of the historic slogan of the French Revolution which meant so much to Jefferson and his friends, 'Liberty, equality, fraternity.' No, that would be too fanciful, too many thousands of years off in realization. But we as a nation do stand square on the doctrine of liberty and justice for all...

http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

I too believe is our Nation still a "Nation under God". In some aspects I would have to say no. Even looking at my own life I question am I truely a Godly Man. In other aspects I would have to say yes. I think our core values will win all. If we don't remember where we came from we will forget where we are going! If this happens we will crumble just as the Roman Empire did. I just hope none of my family will have to see this day if it comes.

In the end all we can do is pray to God that his will be done. Be a nation of men and women not affraid to stand behind their beliefs and convictions.

Bleh...its stupid garbage...if we lose the pledge i will be mad...no doubt. Hell, i might even move to scotland early(that is where I plan to retire).

Wow Dtop I think your post is the first one that altered my mind on things. I grew up in a Europe divided by East and West. Too many times have I heard slogans imposed top down about our "great nation". When I got older I read the slogans of the others as well, and they looked surprisingly similar. Hence my inhibitions with such things. As I said; the way you put it is entirely new to me........ As I said when I registered, I planned to learn about other views and I did today.

Whispering Death said:
Pyro said:
I hope you are kidding.

I was real drunk when I posted that. I was just in a mood.

SERMON # 3,452 - Let that be a lesson to all of us, that we shouldn't drink and type at the same tiiigjhgkkgkhhnn j /...,.,nfjhrjtr

wyhweiheenbhb
hrhtjt
srhp''''''p

The Pledge of Allegiance will most likely not survive. I can't believe what all these people are doing to it. That has been our Pledge of Allegiance ever since our country was born. And now, they are taking it away. It's just very sad to watch what is happening.

Your damn skippy its sad to happen? Ask you the question who in the heck is really running the country. Are we so scared to offend somebody that we forget what we are really about. Our maybe where not about that anymore. :salute2: Good by Old Friend

I think if we do nothing then they will take it.

But if we stand up against this PC political oppresion then maybe we can still make a difference.

Man I hope your right. If not I might permantly move to Belize or some other tropical paradise. Or if Billary gets elected. Oh please NO

Back