Pledge Of Allegiance - Page 2

--
Boots

January 11th, 2005  
03USMC

I hear ya Brother. The thing is you and I for the most part grew up when Vet's were prevelant. The WWII Vets , would have raised three shades of h**l if this had come down the pike in 70's.

We were taught respect for the flag and the men who had sacrificed their blood and lives for the freedoms we enjoyed, the flag represented them.
These beliefs were reinforced in the Corps.

The majority of our generation do not impart these beliefs to their children, nor believe them themselves.
January 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

That picture of the guy in the wheelchair really got to me. When I was in high school we were taught a course called "civics". You learned how our system of government works and why we observe the customs and ceremonies that we do. Apparently it isn't taught anymore. A damn shame. I honestly can't see how that 12 year old could mistake supporting the current administration for supporting their country. They are not the same thing by any means. It isn't all black and white though (few things are). I can see how a Buddhist for example might object to the words "under God" for themselves and so not say them, but it would be wrong to remove them for what is by and large a Christian country. Tolerance is the highest goal. If we were all more tolerant of each other these issues would never come to the fore. Those that decry patriotism are just as intolerant as anybody else and so lose any moral justification for their actions. But as I said in another thread, I don't find these people who Tom Payne called "Summer Soldiers" and "Sunshine Patriots" to be a whole heck of alot better. It really boils down to this for me; from the words I saw on a sign in my youth "Freedom has a taste for those who fought for it that the protected can never know".
January 11th, 2005  
Sooners1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
"Freedom has a taste for those who fought for it that the protected can never know".
AMEN!
--
Boots
January 14th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Since we are on the issue "forced Patriotism" I must tell you all this.

A guy (a veteran) in Portland Maine wanted to fly a giant American Flag with lighting equipment on the Civil War era Ft. Georges in Casco Bay

The fort can be seen from most of the scenic spots in Portland and the joining towns. The huge flag and solar lighting system was all privately paid for. A few "citizens" called a town meeting about the issue. One person compared flying the US flag with flying the nazi flag back in WWII. Even the most liberal town council member said "that went too far." My brother told me about it when I got back from Iraq. The story was too small for me to find it on the web.

Why is it everyone is allowed to fly a flag supporting their cause except for our nation's flag.
January 14th, 2005  
Charge 7

I'd have told that jerk that if he was right they wouldn't be having any meeting on it.
January 14th, 2005  
AlexKall

Well I think its good. But on the other hand, I'm not American so I'm not used too that custom, so that might be why.
January 16th, 2005  
Charge 7

It's more than a custom. It is as its name says, an oath. You are declaring yourself to be an American and to uphold the things we hold dear. The words "under God" could be left out at the swearer's discretion but the body remains the same. The last words are "...with liberty and justice for all" so those words alone obviate any complaints about it being "forced".
January 16th, 2005  
AlexKall

For me an oat is something you take once