Please identify this General

HD_Rider

Hello all,
I am doing some research of photos that are in my collection and was wondering if any of you can recognize the man on the left? Thank you for looking. Bob

22693241.jpg

Working on this one, I thought I had is sorted but it turns out I was about 20 years out.

:)

There was a note in the album stating that this was Gen. Pickering but I feel that this is incorrect. Again I appreciate your effort as I would like to correct any notation errors. Thanks, Bob

There was a note in the album stating that this was Gen. Pickering but I feel that this is incorrect. Again I appreciate your effort as I would like to correct any notation errors. Thanks, Bob

Actually I think it is Brigadier general J.A. Pickering.

He was Executive Officer, Reserve Officers Training Corps. 1937 – 1940 at Purdue University and when you compare your photo with that of Pickering from the 1940 University yearbook I think resemblance is pretty good.

Your Photo:
1Star.png

Purdue 1940 Photo:
JAPickering1940_zps47ffc836.png

Last edited:
I think the resemblance is pretty good.
I would say it's more than pretty good, I would say it's a dead on match. He even looks the same age in both photos. Thanks again Greg, you are quite the investigative historian! Any idea where this photo was taken? I have no notes about that. Bob

I would say it's more than pretty good, I would say it's a dead on match. He even looks the same age in both photos. Thanks again Greg, you are quite the investigative historian! Any idea where this photo was taken? I have no notes about that. Bob

Actually Pickering is a very hard man to find, the web holds almost no information on him and I was just lucky that a friend knew he was at Purdue University as he had attended the same institution and Purdue has all its year books online that I found anything about him.

My understanding is that he commanded the Artillery attached to the 8th Infantry Division and for a short time was acting commander the 8th ID in Jan 1945.

But outside that there is very little information about the man.

Hmm it would be very difficult to determine where the picture was taken as there is almost no background to help.

Back