please help us to SAVE OUR REGIMENTS

AN EXPLANATION REGARDING THE THREATENED SCOTTISH REGIMENTS.

"For a' that,an' a' that,
Its comin yet for a' that,
That man to man the world o'er
Shall brithers be for a' that"

From Robert Burns " Is there for honest poverty."

I have surmised that some of those responding to the appeal from
"Save the Scottish Regiments"
are not familiar with the system in place here in the U.K.

1. The infantry in the whole U.K. Army is being cut,at a time when it is already overstretched.

2.These Six Scottish Regiments are the LAST of the Scottish infantry regiments.

3.These are the regiments who have been on ACTIVE SERVICE more often in the last five years than ANY other infantry regiment.

4.All the regiments which our government proposes to cut are very ANCIENT REGIMENTS with histories going back hundreds of years;
(one of them is in fact, THE OLDEST SURVIVING REGIMENT OF THE LINE.)

5.The regiments have such a reputation for gallantry and service to the country they attract the highest quality infantryman.

6.Traditionally,these units have a familial,local and historically based recruiting area.

7. If the government go ahead with this planned restructuring,men will loss their jobs,their homes, their comrades.

8.It was claimed by the Ministry of Defence that some soldiers will move into other areas of work, in different units.This would in fact not be possible, as they have neither been given the correct education nor training for these sorts of posts.

9. Although some colonels and generals backed the scheme,one or two brave souls have kept in step with the "rank and file" infantrymen and spoken out.

10. The latest survey figures show that 8 out of ten non commissioned officers and soldiers wish to retain the regiments intact.

11. The Chief of Staff said, and I quote from a letter to me personally;
" THE LOSS OF THE FOUR REGIMENTS AND THE AMALGAMATION OF THE OTHER TWO IS REGRETTABLE, BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN MORE."

12.The six historic Scottish Regiments were told they would retain their traditions,badges,colours, uniforms and pipe- bands.Now the Army Chiefs and the government, say these pledges will not be honoured. Even
Sir A. Irwin, has had to admit that this is the case.

So. my dear friends worldwide you can see why the other British contributor to your site,is pleading for your help in this matter.I wish to add my appeal by ending with a verse of my own,which I dedicate to ALL soldiers killed in Iraq, but particularly Scots serving and sacrificing themselves for democracy.

"Tell all the OLD BOYS at Westminster
That I 've seen what they've never seen.
And that while they sat down in the Commons
I gave all for my country and Queen."

from Black Watch Lament by K.Weetman

(dedicated to those who sacrificed all on Operation Telic.)

please Help ! Visit www.savethescottishregiments.co.uk
and find out more. If you wish you could sign the online petition or even complain to our Prime Minister
MR.TONY BLAIR,
10, DOWNING STREET
WESTMINSTER
LONDON W1A

It's really a waste... these are fully trained regulars..

If you want to get 2,000 soldiers again, you have to train new recruits all over. At that time, it'll be more costly and time consuming.

:rambo: ;)

r031Button said:
Cutting the remginets doesn't mean their getting rid of the troops. My understanding is that several regiments are being cut, and reformed into mulit battalion regiemnts. No loss of troops, just a loss of Colonoals and RSMs.
One query. Would these regiments, now reduced to single battalion strength be allowed to keep their regimental seniority/battle honours etc, or will every thing we sent to the regimental museum?
Off topic
BTW, you have a very intresting capbadge as your avatar.
What regiment is that? Canadian or British?...a little history would be nice.

Just to point out ...The colonels and generals are to be phased out either through retirement if they wish, or promotion to other positions.Apart from one colonel who did not approve of the plans all the others voted to amalgamate....(.Nice little earner for them.)
The men and women in other ranks, were given a questionnaire, ( re proposals),but it did not offer them the option of saving the regiments intact.
Those infantrymen who were excess to plans, were told that either they left the service due to age related retiral, or moved to logistics,intelligence or engineers which are short of recruits. Any one who has experience of the forces knows these personnel, do not have the correct educational qualifications,training,nor experience for immediate transfer to those posts.
Anyway the infantry is already overstretched. So why cut the infantry?We also need these experienced infantrymenwho have kept the peace worldwide.

SAVE OUR REGIMENTS.. SIGN OUR PETITION....
www.savethescottishregiments.co.uk

Back