Please help.

TylerH

So, I am going to be 16 next month and I will be talking to my uncle about the marines on the 22nd. Now there are 2 things I worry about:

1. Me getting in physical shape to take the best advantage possible and make the experience that much easier. I am planning on taking the DEP, but I know my uncle will want me to do college first, but I don't know, something feels like I just want to join now and learn about that stuff instead of becoming an officer right then and there.

2. The test before you join. I read about what it asks, and I honestly don't know much about it apart from the math. I don't know anything about mechanics and stuff like that. It seems like I would only know about 1 part of it, and I am not going to guess if I don't know it, as that is a sign of being desperate. Unless that is what you guys think I should do just to pass, which I highly doubt you will. I just want to make it through that, any ideas or should I really not focus that much on it.

Finish school if you already have not, that should be your main goal now, seeing as your still 15 i don't think that you would already have finished.

I respect your choice in joining the Marines but i would assume that rigourous military training would be very difficult for a 16 year old to do, not that it can't be done.

I would say that moving from the security of school into the unknowns of a military career is a big step, the two would be about as similar as fire and ice.

As for physical fitness i would say that a structured training schedule would be best, i go along the line of "the fitter the better" so do your best with that and you should push through.

Your uncle sounds like a smart man, i would take his advice, im sure that if you are worried about passing your entry tests then mabe a bit more life experience will help sort that out, but i doubt that the mechanical tests would be terribly difficult.

My tests for the Australian Army did'nt have alot to do with mechanics, but my engineering tests did.

I suppose that general entry tests wouldnt have much of a hurt on you, but when you do specific MOS testing, that may be where mechanics comes into play.

If i may ask, what MOS would you be concidering to apply for?

Well, the military is a ways off for you. You can't join until you're 17 with parental consent or 18 on your own.

Personally, I recommend going to college first if it is a viable option for you. It affords you more choices and you get your degree out of the way. When you graduate you can enlist or commission.

You can join ROTC in college and the military isn't going anywhere so it will be there when you are 18 or 21/22.

As far as physical conditioning. Work on your core strength, legs, back, abs. Get used to running and if you can do some swimming, it's better cardio and isn't as high impact as running, ie you are at less risk of injury and you get MORE benefit. Eat healthily and keep a regular physical routine and you'll be more than ready for the Marine Corps by the time you're of age.

The ASVAB is the test you're asking about. Google it and you can find sample tests and info about it.

The best advice I can give you right now is just have fun. Be a kid and enjoy high school because it goes fast. Make friends, be a good person, a team player and stand up for the weaker individuals. Stay out of trouble, what you do right now WILL follow you when you're older so make smart choices.

One thing I did that helped me was rucking. I do not think its a good idea at your age, do this just prior to joining. If you go Infantry you will be rucking every day. Get you a strong backpack or an actual rucksack and start off with maybe 10 pounds. Go out and do a mile. Build yourself up. Our standard load was 45ish pounds. Towards the end they might make you throw bricks in to simulate mortar rounds. Our ruck out to FTX was 18 miles with 65 pound rucks.

Goodluck and get your civilian stuff squared away first. Like PJ said the military is not going anywhere. I was 23 when I completed basic.

I disagree with Big_Z, do not start pack marching at all. You do not have the proper footwear or pack for such things unless you want to go spend hundreds of dollars. You may break yourself and then you can't even join and could put you out thousands of dollars. I'm sure like my military that they have a great program that will build your pack marching up to the level that is needed. Build up your fitness but not by doing this.

It really depends on your build. Those first few ruck marches at Benning were brutal, we lost some guys to them. The trick is to condition your shins by starting off small. Shin splints during training is extremely painful. Your feet will be hurting too. The thing I remember most from Infantry school was waking up every morning and my feet hitting that bay floor. It felt like every bone in my feet were broken. As long as you don't throw 40 pounds in your ruck you should be fine. Take it for what it is. This is how I conditioned myself for the Infantry.

Alright, thanks for some feedback, I actually thought it was time for me to start focusing on that, but I am doing the DEP program, possibly next year, so thats why I asked. I right now am working on negatives and flexed arms, because I cant do pull ups, I definitely can do 44 crunches in 2 minutes. I also swim for the high school team but can't do a mile in a half 13:30, but that may be because the last time I ran a mile, I was sorta slow but no endurance. Anything else you guys think I should know, please tell. Also, I don't want to go to college first.. I honestly want to do it after high school. I don't know why though.

For your run time I recomend 60/120s. At first you walk 60 seconds and you jog 30 seconds. Once you build yourself up you sprint 60 seconds and jog 120 seconds. Running has never been my thing but after a few months of this I was doing 2 miles in 13:40.

Finish school if you already have not, that should be your main goal now, seeing as your still 15 i don't think that you would already have finished.

I respect your choice in joining the Marines but i would assume that rigourous military training would be very difficult for a 16 year old to do, not that it can't be done.

I would say that moving from the security of school into the unknowns of a military career is a big step, the two would be about as similar as fire and ice.

As for physical fitness i would say that a structured training schedule would be best, i go along the line of "the fitter the better" so do your best with that and you should push through.

Your uncle sounds like a smart man, i would take his advice, im sure that if you are worried about passing your entry tests then mabe a bit more life experience will help sort that out, but i doubt that the mechanical tests would be terribly difficult.

My tests for the Australian Army did'nt have alot to do with mechanics, but my engineering tests did.

I suppose that general entry tests wouldnt have much of a hurt on you, but when you do specific MOS testing, that may be where mechanics comes into play.

If i may ask, what MOS would you be concidering to apply for?

I want to do combatant diver more than anything.

Good advice 03USMC! You gotta learn to walk before you run. In each segment of your training don't take your eye off the ball. Do as best a job as you can at that time.

I don't want to belabor the obvious but first & foremost after you become a Marine you'd better be one of the highest scorers on the range in your unit. I'm not totally sure about the Corps but Army Sniper School usually has a long waiting list. I'm not absolutely positive exactly but I think the candidates have to have shot Expert in the last 3 or so qualification range fires. Something like that, anyhow.

I'll know a little more in a month or so. One of the young men from our Judo club joiined the Corps a year or so ago & is in Force Recon training. when he finishes up, probably before deployment, they'll send him to Scout/Sniper School. He's the best shot in his class at this time. I talked to his dad, a retired Army MSG also, & he thinks he has it straight. Of course he's trying to translate Marine talk to Army talk.

Yeah, don't ruck.
Work on some muscles instead. Often overlooked are the back muscles and if you ruck with weak back muscles you will pay. Have a strong set of legs and core muscles. Rucking during high school may have led to me being a bit more injury prone than I should be. Running is a good way to prevent shin splints and also to get your cardio vascular endurance up.
Don't over do it while you're still growing or you won't grow very much.

Thanks, I am on high school swim team and we do have very tough workouts, which is why we are undoubtedly the best in our area. But I do believe that will help out ALOT, and do you guys think DEP is a good choice? Or to just stay focused on high school?

Thanks, I am on high school swim team and we do have very tough workouts, which is why we are undoubtedly the best in our area. But I do believe that will help out ALOT, and do you guys think DEP is a good choice? Or to just stay focused on high school?

Swim team? Then fitness wise you should be set. Just make sure you get some running in (slow, long distance) to get your shins ready.

So, I am going to be 16 next month and I will be talking to my uncle about the marines on the 22nd. Now there are 2 things I worry about:

1. Me getting in physical shape to take the best advantage possible and make the experience that much easier. I am planning on taking the DEP, but I know my uncle will want me to do college first, but I don't know, something feels like I just want to join now and learn about that stuff instead of becoming an officer right then and there.

2. The test before you join. I read about what it asks, and I honestly don't know much about it apart from the math. I don't know anything about mechanics and stuff like that. It seems like I would only know about 1 part of it, and I am not going to guess if I don't know it, as that is a sign of being desperate. Unless that is what you guys think I should do just to pass, which I highly doubt you will. I just want to make it through that, any ideas or should I really not focus that much on it.

Mr Tyler your first priority is getting a strong foundation for your endeavors to persevere in the game of life, your education should come first.

At least when you get out of the Army you'll have options.

Note; that the US Army has an education program, if I'm not mistaken. And pay $ you to go to school.

when i was 40 I went back to school and after 2 years of sacrifice I'm now make more then double what my salary used to be, and only work 6 months every year.

Plus if you take courses or go into specialized fields you'll need an education, no ways about that.

Unless your goal is just becoming a regular Foot soldier, or Jar Head and kill! Education is not required.

Mr Tyler listen to your Uncle his right.

j

I disagree about infantry not needing an education. Education is important for everyone and in the US military today, even infantry can find it difficult to get promoted without education points. Especially when getting into and out of the E-6 range.

We have the most educated military in history. With todays warfare and technology, we have the most learned and adept infantry ever.

I recommend everyone go to college BEFORE they join the military if that option is there. It allows one more choices and let's them enter into the military on their own terms, enlisted or commissioned. They know they're choosing their path, not a path they have to take.

It's also best to knock it out while you're young, it's harder to go back to school after you are out for awhile.

I disagree about infantry not needing an education. Education is important for everyone and in the US military today, even infantry can find it difficult to get promoted without education points. Especially when getting into and out of the E-6 range.

We have the most educated military in history. With todays warfare and technology, we have the most learned and adept infantry ever.

I recommend everyone go to college BEFORE they join the military if that option is there. It allows one more choices and let's them enter into the military on their own terms, enlisted or commissioned. They know they're choosing their path, not a path they have to take.

It's also best to knock it out while you're young, it's harder to go back to school after you are out for awhile.

Yes your right! All I was stating is to kill and education is not needed. I thought it was the E-5 Range that were USA Army SGT rank Starts.

It's also best to knock it out while you're young, it's harder to go back to school after you are out for awhile[/qoute] So true, I can assure you concerning that quote.

. I thought it was the E-5 Range that were USA Army SGT rank Starts.

It is. It's just in the Army, E-5 is fairly easily obtainable with TIS/TIG requirements. E-6 is when it can begin to get a bit more competitive and even moreso for E-7 and above.

Back