Please help.

It is. It's just in the Army, E-5 is fairly easily obtainable with TIS/TIG requirements. E-6 is when it can begin to get a bit more competitive and even moreso for E-7 and above.

Ok I thought E-5 is when it got compatative.

Does this still apply for promotion requirements for primary "Zone Board" appearance is 34 months TIS/six months TIG.
Promotion is 36 months TIS/eight months TIG?

Ok, so after reading a lot of these, I am willing to explain myself further to you guys. First, I know my uncle WILL say to go in as an officer. But I honestly cannot see myself as an officer right off the bat. And I want to get into the battle, but a little of me wants to do something that is not as life-threatening. Can someone please help me out on this? And I am really focused on education, I do well in school. I just want to plan a little more into the future instead of not knowing what to do right then and there. Besides combatant diver, because of its high fail rate, I also look into infantry or MAGTFP. Any further in-depth on either of those?

Many with Bachelor's Degrees enter the Army as an enlisted person. They have more opportunities to go into an MOS of their choosing. Once you're in you can always apply to go to OCS. Many times a new officer doesn't have his choice of jobs. Usually the top 10% of the OCS class are given their job selection. Otherwise the needs of the Army prevail.

The military in general & the Army in particular is a dangerous place to be & regardless of your MOS or duty position ypou can be in life-threatening situations. There are no "front lines" or "rear echelons" in the war against terrorism. Granted - some places are safer than others. The Ranger who is constantly looking for trouble can be relatively unsafe, moreso than a clerk working in an office. Mind you if that clerk is under-occupied & his job isn't high priority he might wind up as a gate guard, going on patrols or on convoy duty. He's first & foremost a Soldier. My contention is that any Combat Arms Soldier, even Rangers or SF are well trained to a point where their job might not be as dangerous as you'd think. My son had 5 deployments with the 3rd Ranger Batt & was in combat for almost the whole duration. He came home without a scratch. When they weren't deployed they trained all the time. The training was such that deployments were like vacations.

MAGTFP. Any further in-depth on either of those?

Do you mean MAGTF=Marine Air Ground Task Force? That's a combined unit consisting of a Command Element, Ground Element, Aviation Element and Combat Logistic's Element. A task Force is Designated MAGTF (Mag-Taf) it's not an MOS.

Read something about a Marine Air Ground Task Force Plans on the MOS list, is it fake?

Last edited:
If your talking about the Officer 05XX field MOS, as 0505 MAGTF Plans Officer those are field grade non-primary MOS positions on MAGTF staff and can come from any MOS, it is a non restricted officer billet. You most certainly don not need to worry about that MOS field. The majority of those positions within that MOS field are filled by field grades, Warrant Officers, and LDO officers.

Yes the Infantry is more dangerous then other MOS's but at the same time you will feel safe. In a rifle company you know everyone around you can duke it out with anybody. As a rifleman you are looking for a fight, you will expect it. Where as other MOS's are not as up to speed in a fire fight. Non combat types have to go out of the wire sometimes. Hearing some platoon sgt screaming at the top of his lungs makes me feel safe, I know he will hold up when it gets bad.

Your feet will be hurting too. The thing I remember most from Infantry school was waking up every morning and my feet hitting that bay floor. It felt like every bone in my feet were broken.

Holy crap, ain't THAT the truth! Feet, ankles, knees, hips, back... if it's a joint, the Infantry is going to invade it with some pain - otherwise known as, "Good training, Drill Sergeant! Good training!"

But, yeah... the feet thing. I wasn't thinking of it until I read your post, and then that barracks floor and smell and everythng came rushing back as one, big, vivid memory. I have no idea how I finally ended up turning blue, but I got there.

I'm not sure if anyone answered my question here earlier. My uncle WILL want me to join after college as an officer, but I just don't really see me doing that but going in after high school for some reason. So can someone please tell me if there is a major benefit in one of those two that will help me make my choice? Because I don't see myself as an officer right away, but I hear a lot voting going to college before and enlisting as an officer. I'm not saying I am going to totally ignore him, I just want more than one opinion.

Going to college is not a bad idea. It will set you up for the rest of your life. I would highly suggest going to school first.

Back