Please help identify a projectile

GunnerJ

I just bought this thing. It is made of metal. It is about 10" long. Base threads into top. Base Has a threaded hole in the bottom about 3/4 of an inch. Marked B-S on the fin. I don't know if its military. Just thought somebody here would know. Maybe its for training? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link to the pictures

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/68950839

I have never seen the likes of it.

It looks like a toy/trench art, made from a dummy 20mm Oerlikon cartridge that has been threaded into a set of old 60mm mortar fins, although being 10 1/4" long throws me a bit. Whatever, it doesn't look to me like a viable round for any military weapon.

I'd say the silver section is almost certainly a dummy cartridge that was never originally attached to the fin assembly as seen here.

Last edited:
That would be my guess as well although I will go with 81mm Mortar fins as I think the 81mm had 3 holes and the 60mm 2 holes.

Looking at it further I would suggest the fins are from either an 81mm M43A1 shell or an 81mm M56 round.

Last edited:
It looks like a 5 inch shell with a display stand. It is not attached to the stand and it could never be fired with that bit in the bottom

definitely not a piece of actual military munitions, but it could still be an interesting replica of a pieve of older tech

Back