Plays written by the shooter at Vtech

You know what I think is pathetic? If these things are written by Stephen King, Leigh Whannell (wrote Saw, Saw II and Saw III), Eli Roth (wrote Hostel), Tobe Hooper (wrote Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Alan B. McElroy (wrote Wrong Turn) or Rob Zombie (House of 1000 corpses, Devil's rejects) it would end up as a movie grossing millions. Quit trying to act like these plays were warning signs, there have been far worse things written by people who have never harmed a person in their life and were merely very talented in terms of writing things to gross us out. It's really easy to look back and say "well this was an obvious warning sign that the University missed" but four days ago they were just a couple of odd poems. Hell, McBeef or whatever it was called wasn't even that graphic, how many hundreds of movies have been written where a person throws darts at a picture of a person they dislike? How many hundreds of movies show people being killed, including children? These poems are not warning signs until after the act is committed, they aren't insights into his personality until after he snaps, the two events aren't unrelated, but until Cho actually does something wrong these two poems are meaningless.

Please note that this post is directed mostly at the people in the media, not the members of these forums, who apparently have never heard of a copy-cat and have forgotten what happened after Columbine. If the reporters covering this story don't wise up and soon there will be more shootings like this, just like after Columbine when every pissed off teenager with a gun went on a rampage.

Last edited:
You know what I think is pathetic? If these things are written by Stephen King, Leigh Whannell (wrote Saw, Saw II and Saw III), Eli Roth (wrote Hostel), Tobe Hooper (wrote Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Alan B. McElroy (wrote Wrong Turn) or Rob Zombie (House of 1000 corpses, Devil's rejects) it would end up as a movie grossing millions. Quit trying to act like these plays were warning signs, there have been far worse things written by people who have never harmed a person in their life and were merely very talented in terms of writing things to gross us out. It's really easy to look back and say "well this was an obvious warning sign that the University missed" but four days ago they were just a couple of odd poems. Hell, McBeef or whatever it was called wasn't even that graphic, how many hundreds of movies have been written where a person throws darts at a picture of a person they dislike? How many hundreds of movies show people being killed, including children? These poems are not warning signs until after the act is committed, they aren't insights into his personality until after he snaps, the two events aren't unrelated, but until Cho actually does something wrong these two poems are meaningless.
You are absolutely WRONG. As a teacher I can tell you it is not the genre of his writing that is disturbing and would set off my alarm bells but the syntax and the delivery of the content. His level of sophistication is extremely low for someone who is supposed to be a university student. It reads more along the lines of work I have seen written by very disturbed 11-12 year old kids. THAT is the warning sign.

Return to your lane.

It still isn't a warning sign that can be of any help before hand. As you'll recall one of this teachers did inform the UPD at Va. Tech about the writings and they said there was nothing they could do about it without infringing on his constitutional rights. To me this just looks like a rant, rather intricate as far as rants go, but a rant no less. These things were available to be seen before hand and only one person mentioned that it could be problem. This isn't a warning sign. A warning sign would be, if the sources weren't lying, accusations by his former roommates that he stalked multiple women in their own dorm and around the Virginia Tech campus, he never said more than a couple words, and he had an "imaginary girlfriend" at the age of 20. Those are warning signs, not a ****ing poem. Ready some Poe or any other of dozens of American writers who are on the writing lists of schools all across America, The Raven was far worse than this... script? As I said before, it doesn't become a warning sign until after the act is committed, which means it isn't even a warning sign at all.

Bull:cen:

It still isn't a warning sign that can be of any help before hand. As you'll recall one of this teachers did inform the UPD at Va. Tech about the writings and they said there was nothing they could do about it without infringing on his constitutional rights. To me this just looks like a rant, rather intricate as far as rants go, but a rant no less. These things were available to be seen before hand and only one person mentioned that it could be problem. This isn't a warning sign. A warning sign would be, if the sources weren't lying, accusations by his former roommates that he stalked multiple women in their own dorm and around the Virginia Tech campus, he never said more than a couple words, and he had an "imaginary girlfriend" at the age of 20. Those are warning signs, not a ****ing poem. Ready some Poe or any other of dozens of American writers who are on the writing lists of schools all across America, The Raven was far worse than this... script? As I said before, it doesn't become a warning sign until after the act is committed, which means it isn't even a warning sign at all.
Bull:cen:. Listen and open your ears. I am a teacher, part of our training is to look for screwed up kids like this and DO something about it. Your lack of training makes you an expert in :cen: all. There are VERY :cen:ING clear warning signs here, just because YOU don't see it doesn't mean they are not there kid. The Raven is worse than this? Are you posting while stoned?? The level of sophistication or lack thereof is the determining factor in this. If you cannot recognise the differences in the syntax, style and delivery between Edgar Allen Poe and Mr. Cho Wetmypantsinclass Psycho then it reflects very loud and clear as to your knowledge of semiotic systems.

Screw his rights. The rights of the other students to a safe learning environment would put this kid into a full on psych eval before he returns to school. Four years and the teachers dropped the ball. They did not live up to the standard in our profession for duty of care. You write something that base in my class and you're not coming back till someone trained in shrinking heads says you aren't a threat and even then I'm going to plan for anything I think you might be capable of and I will take you out if you even blink funny.

Yes there are teachers who think I am an a-hole size large and a hard ass and "too strict" but guess what... my students are the top kids in their classes, they go to uni, they come back and thank me for being so hard on them. And I protect my kids. They all know it is safe in my room emotionally and physically, no one will treat them with the least disrespect let alone violence in any form while in my AO.

No more :cen:ing excuses. There were clear and present signs for at least two years that this kid was not stable but rather than growing a set of balls and doing something about it the teachers were quiet, kicked him out of class but didn't follow up with admin or were too wrapped up in their own lil world to do the right thing, to do their :cen:ing job. I am sick and :cen:ing tired of people who should be flipping burgers residing in my profession getting a free ride. This kid was a classic example of the kid you are taught to look for and then INTERVENE. They dropped the ball and now teachers and students are dead because of their negligence.

Teachers have become the gatekeepers in our society because parents have relinquished their responsibility. No one wants to own up to their duty anymore. People are always pointing the finger and blaming someone else for the problems but no one ever does a :cen:ing thing about it. They talk a good game but when push comes to shove they puss out and cannot be found. I've read that some think we need to reboot our entire society and start over... erase the self-centered self-serving ME bullspit and replace it with US. We have no team sports, we celebrate the individual star athlete. We have an entire generation who shirk work and responsibility hoping to hit it big on lotto. We are a fat lazy selfish pile of steaming dog dung on the Earth and no one is doing anything to stop it... except for a handful of teachers who are too stupid to give up.

Bulldoogg, I've always had a great amount of respect for you, you've always behaved yourself in a calm and professional manner, till now. Hell I wouldn't have even responded to your post in the manner I did if you hadn't put "Return to your lane." at the of your post, which made you look like a condescending jackass.

As for your supposed special :cen:ing training in rooting out students with these problems whoopity :cen:ing do. (See, I can make you look like the bad buy by throwing in a :cen: here and there.) It's really easy to take something written by someone who just killed 32 people in cold blood and say "Well this is a clear warning sign, as is this, and this." but what can't be done is say "Well, this kid is going to kill several of his classmates, we better do something." because we have this thing called the Constitution in the United States and one of the things it covers is something called unlawful search and seizure, more specifically protection from said action. One of this teachers did take his writings to the police, they couldn't do anything more than detain him for 72 hours against his will and even then it wasn't because they thought "Hey, this kid is going to kill someone" but it was for his own well being, of course it's very hard to help someone who won't help themselves. To backtrack a little there is also the first amendment to the Constitution, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Can't lock this guy up for what he wrote because he didn't break any laws doing so.

Hell there's a kid who lives down the hall from me who has a lot in common with the shooter from Va. Tech, the only difference is that this guy isn't Asian. I watched Cho's former roommates being interviewed on Anderson Cooper, when they described Cho (quite, kind of odd, always working on his bike) it sounded just like the guy down the hall who is very quite and is always working on his bike. But I'm not going to go making accusations because you know what happens to people when someone accuses them of being a person likely to bring a gun to class? Their lives are ruined, I went to high school with a kid who was suspended and eventually expelled from school because someone said this kid was going to bring a gun to school. I was in the class where this kid supposedly said it, he didn't say anything, one girl claimed he said it, the snowball started rolling and it was unstoppable. More lives are ruined by baseless accusations that a person might bring a gun to school than by kids who do bring guns to school. It's one of the prices we have to pay for living in a free society.

Perhaps with all your years spent teaching in China you have forgotten that in the US it isn't as easy as going to the politburo and saying "Hey, this guy said Mao was gay." and poof! They're gone.

Ask a psych professional about homicidal and suicidal ideations. I'm done with this, you're unteachable.

You are an idiot for comparing that sub par high school (I know he was in college) work to a Stephen King book, Rob Zombie, or Saw movie...

That is clearly a disturbed person writing that...Not only to mention you tie those into his odd behavior and his suicidal thoughts and you have a clear case of mental issues...

Last edited:
Basis?

Since BD is a trained teacher and he tells you/us that they are trained to pick up warning signals in their classroom.
On what grounds do you tell him that is inaccurate?
Are you a trained teacher?
Have you been trained at the same place BD has?
Have you seen the curriculum of his training?

As I KNOW BD is a teacher, and he tells me they are trained to pick up the warning signs before something like this happens then someone snoozed on post.
I like the idea that atleast SOME teachers today still concider it their DUTY to protect the kids they are teaching.
I don´t only mean from physical harm but for the sake of this argument lets stick to that part.

IMO a teacher should be the one taking charge when trouble arise.
They are there FOR the kids they are teaching, with that comes an awesome responsibility that shouldn´t be taken lightly.
ALL teachers however do not have the possabilities and/or the physical fitness to be the one to take charge.
I realize that and that is why I am FOR CCW by officials at campus.
I am however NOT for CCW by students but that is another can of worms.

My point is, this tragedy could have been ended/prevented:

1: By teachers not ignoring the warning signs/Having the balls to act on them.
2: By CCW on officials at the school.

The reports say he had been expelled from class on several occations, why no follow up?
Too much went wrong on this occation for the questions not to be answered IMHO.

Teaching a skillset to people carry with it an awesome responsibility.
Have that responsibility been met?

//KJ.

i think i might have a place here...i spent a good 2 years on the brink of suicide
and i can honestly say that my poetry was a warning sign and cry for help
finaly someone looked at the open page in my binder, read one of the poems, told a teacher, and i was put in consoling for 6 months...it helped me out of my crises when i was dead set on acting

granted, i can still write on the disturbed side and it is meaningless...but its not exactly as profound as it used to be more of 'saddness/slightly depressed' when it used to be 'im going to kill myself/i hate the world'

so yes...writing is a big warning sign

Last edited:
I hate being right about this **** all the time. The parents and his former teachers need to be drawn and quartered. The parents' negligence is directly responsible for the deaths of those VT students. I called it on the autism at work, he's classic and the fact his teachers didn't address it in 15 years of school is deplorable and negligent. The fact his family had been told he was autistic and they did nothing is criminal, its abuse.
Dereliction of duty is what we'd call it in the military. Its a shame our society is too weak to actually do the right thing and hold people accountable and to allow teachers to teach these kids how to be responsible instead of enabling them to constantly be victims in a myriad of ways.

Grimlin, curious, did you ever thank that teacher?

How are you supposed to read someone's poems unless they accidentally leave them out for you, or make them public? I've known a lot of messed up kids in my life and none of them ever acted on their hatreds or sorrows.

Also, I fail to see how you can blame the parents. It's not like they have a huge amount of influence on kids these days. Some people are born crazies.

As with terrorism, the balance is between security and freedom. I prefer to err on the side of freedom - every time. I live in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
His works were not of a normal sick and twisted manor...

Devil's Rejects while sick and twisted is very entertaining...his works where not...

You can blame the parents because it is their responsibility to insure their offspring are taken care of, I thank my parents for helping me turn out the way I have.

The parents were told that their son was autistic and they DID NOTHING.

The parents saw him savagely beat his older sister and they DID NOTHING.

They have direct culpability in their son's actions at VT. His teachers, primary, middle school, secondary and the professors at VT bear it as well.

Its called responsibility. Being a parent and being a teacher carry with it very heavy responsibility. If you can't or won't live up to it then you should NOT have children and you should NOT be a teacher. Full ****ing stop.

How are you supposed to read someone's poems unless they accidentally leave them out for you, or make them public?

i had just written one, and i went up to talk to one of my friends, and the person next to me saw it open and read it

"Grimlin, curious, did you ever thank that teacher?"

yes i did, he was one of the few teachers i have grown to respect, he took his job seriously...and he also taught us life lessons
he was a teacher, not an educator...there is a big difference

and as far as parents go, they do have a big influence...i had some major issues with my mother...who i have since removed from my life

Back