Plane crash on the Hudson River

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
I just want to say that those first responders, and the crew of the U.S. Air did a fantastic job on getting those folks out of that airplane.

This is why you train the way you do. So next time you are out on an FTX or training for an event... remember, you can never get enough training. It may one day save a life.

Good job NYC!!

I just want to say that those first responders, and the crew of the U.S. Air did a fantastic job on getting those folks out of that airplane.

This is why you train the way you do. So next time you are out on an FTX or training for an event... remember, you can never get enough training. It may one day save a life.

Good job NYC!!

I agree....God bless your service men & women.

No joke...everyone directly involved gets some serious kudos. :thumb:

Heheheh...the good Major and I were laughing last night about how the first responders actually beat the press out to the plane... :lol:

It is like the attacks on 9/11. Alot of people that normally wouldnt give a **** about others went out to help and do all they could for those in danger, it shows that people do have a good side when it really counts.

Surprised there has been no video evidence caught of the actual decent in view of the location and the number of media devices people have nowadays. Here is the best I have seen, a long shot of the final few seconds as the airliner hits the water. This is caught by the coastguard camera. Wind the Youtube video forward to around 2 mins (not the time on the picture) or else it gets a bit boring!

http://coastguardnews.com/youtube-video-of-us-airways-descent-into-hudson-river-released/2009/01/16/

The subsequent footage of the rescue is quite detailed though

Last edited:
I saw this on the news here as well, and that's one very impressive landing!
And it's even more incredible that that there were no casualties or serious injuries.

Great job by the pilot!!

At around 3:13 of the Youtube video a dopey passenger either slips or decides to jump in the river. This is near the tip of the starboard/right wing. Then another seems to fish him out!

Awesome. Great job to the pilot!! They were saying on the news that he walked the plane twice to make sure everyone was off before he got out.

I don't want to diminish anyone's achievements, but without a detailed knowledge it is difficult to judge or hard or easy it was. A young airline pilot trainee used to work for me in a part time job and she described the range of unconventional landing scenarios they had to go through, it may have included this sort of thing but it was mainly high crosswinds. Admittedly, doing the real thing must be very different than a simulator, and the pilots fighter background in this case may have been useful.

I suppose during the debriefing a lot of difficult questions need to be asked such as, were the pilots paying attention? how good was the pilots eyesight? was there cloud obscuration? how far away can you see a flock of geese so as to take avoiding action? I don't know the answers to these questions, but it is easy to get carried away. Perhaps the real hero's are the ones that avoid incidents?

I suppose the airline manufacturers are also proud that the equipment did the job (well perhaps, why did just one engine drop off)

Last edited:
Back