Pit Bull Attacks Woman as She Disciplines Child

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
BLANCHARD, La. — A woman disciplining a child for breaking a glass was attacked by her boyfriend's pit bull.
Caddo Parish sheriff's deputies say the woman stabbed the dog, and two neighbors alerted to the commotion helped subdue the animal by beating it with a pipe and a board.
Deputies say the dog will be euthanized because of the viciousness of the attack and the extent of its wounds.
Caddo sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Chadwick said 27-year-old Kathryn Long suffered severe dog bites to her arm and buttocks and had to be hospitalized.
The incident happened Tuesday at a home just outside of Blanchard.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,393982,00.html

Yeah, that would be good to know, what type of disciplining was going on there that made the dog feel protective of the rugrat?

Yes, maybe she was making the child sit in a time out. Or beating him/her with a stick...who knows, but I think a protective dog is just as dangerous as anything if it's not taught correct behavior....

Different breed and no where near the same outcome but....

When I first started watching the kids their parents owned a German Shepard. Along with the dogs little nippy moods towards the children he was very protective of them. He didn't like it when I pushed them on the swings, I finally ended up locking him up after he jumped on me when I was spinning one of the girls. I had scars on my hips for a good year and a half from how badly he scratched me. I think the only reason he didn't bite me is a dropped her when he jumped on me and stepped away. I never let him outside with us after that.

One day about + years later he never came back when he was let out in the morning.

He was a good dog, but not a good dog for a family - IMHO.

German Sheps are wonderful family dogs. I'll disagree on that one.
Oh, I didn't mean all German Shepherds were bad family dogs...I just meant that one was. I'm sorry for not being clearer!

All dogs have the potential of being a danger, and I think they just need to be looked at objectively. (Other than Pits, I just don't think they mix well with children no matter how sweet they are).

If there is any kind of worry in the back of a person's mind then the dog should be given up. If it's protective of it's food or toys...I think it's courting danger to have it in a house with kids....

Technically that would be all dogs then. Their is no such thing as a dog that doesn't bite. People who ask if a dog bites, don't/doesn't know crap about dogs. That's like asking if a person hits.

Technically that would be all dogs then. Their is no such thing as a dog that doesn't bite. People who ask if a dog bites, don't/doesn't know crap about dogs. That's like asking if a person hits.
I'm talking about dogs that bite (or bite at) people, people they live with or are close to... I know quite a few dogs who I truly believe would never in a million years bite me.

A person should be able to take away food while they are eating it, toys, etc, and never be bitten at. If they are taught at a young age to deal with this then they will be much more gentle (and trustworthy) as an adult...IMHO, but that is how I was raised.

Obviously not all dogs are going to be like this, but I think that's when the common sense gene comes into play. If you are changing your life and starting a family, but have a dog that won't let you walk by the food dish when it's eating...is that really a dog you want when you have a two-year-old toddling around? Personally that would be a deal breaker with me. I want a dog I can trust 100%, and I know there are some out there, I've owned one, and know a few others.

Edited to add: That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Even those you thought or think you could trust, they will bite. They may let you get away with more before doing so, but it's the same as a person that loves you, keep picking at them, and eventually, you will get a dotted eye.

Even those you thought or think you could trust, they will bite. They may let you get away with more before doing so, but it's the same as a person that loves you, keep picking at them, and eventually, you will get a dotted eye.
I never have 'picked' at any dog. Being able to calmly pick up a food dish, or take away something a dog shouldn't be chewing on is something I was raised doing.

There is a huge difference in teasing an animal and removing something for a moment. (i.e. sweeping a floor and moving a food dish without fear of being bitten...). We have trained our dogs from puppies to be fine with having their dishes moved, set aside for a moment, etc, while they were eating. Teasing them? Absolutely not. Training them? Yes.

(I can't even remember the last time I actually touched a food dish while they were eating, but I know if I needed to I could).

No wonder why your people think our beef is bad.

Uh, Mr. Kim, can we have a few of your dogs? Sure, why not? OK, great, we'll just tell them it's American beef.

Last edited:
It doesn't say what she was doing, for all anyone knows she could have been physically putting the child in time out, and the dog went crazy.

I doubt that a dog can tell the difference between picking up the little kid and hurting it. Even my cousins' good-natured old dog would get anxious and start barking and growling when people hugged anyone in her "pack." If that's the case, it's time to get rid of the dog when you have kids.

This story makes me feel sorry for both the woman and the dog, it was just acting on its nature.

A dog who will maul someone for slapping my kids is a good dog indeed. He'll definitely keep them safe.

I doubt that a dog can tell the difference between picking up the little kid and hurting it. Even my cousins' good-natured old dog would get anxious and start barking and growling when people hugged anyone in her "pack." If that's the case, it's time to get rid of the dog when you have kids.

This story makes me feel sorry for both the woman and the dog, it was just acting on its nature.
Correct me if I am missing something but didn't you just totally contradict yourself?

Nah, if he's MY dog he won't attack me for touching my own kids, as he would recognize me as the pack leader by that point. The dog in this story belonged to the boyfriend, not the woman who was attacked.

Back