Piniella won't say much about taking over Yankees

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061010.PINIELLA10/TPStory/Sports

OAKLAND, CALIF. -- The man who would replace Joe Torre was dressed in a villain's black sweater yesterday and wouldn't comment -- well, to a point.
Yes, he wants to manage again. Yes, he wants to do so on a team that wants to win because, in his words, "I'm all about winning." But . . .
"I'm here to do the games with Fox [Broadcasting] and I'm excited about that," said Lou Piniella, who watched the Oakland Athletics take batting practice yesterday and finally agreed to hold an impromptu news conference after first refusing reporters' requests.
"I've said I'd look at different situations, so let's see what happens. Wait, I'm supposed to be doing the interviews, for god's sake."

The New York Daily News reported on Sunday that Torre was going to be fired as New York Yankees manager and replaced by Piniella. Since then, all sides have skirted the issue.
Piniella said he hadn't seen Yankees owner George Steinbrenner for "10 months," and that he didn't want to comment because he had "too much respect for Joe Torre" and "too much respect for that situation."
He also admitted he had what he called "small, preliminary discussions" with the San Francisco Giants about their managing vacancy.
He also spoke to the Washington Nationals about replacing Frank Robinson. "But they [the Nationals] are a team building for the future," he said. "That's a situation not for me. I think they're going to go to a young manager, and rightfully so."
Pressed as to whether he would come back to work with Steinbrenner in some capacity, Piniella sighed and said: "Um . . . in some capacity? What capacity are you talking about? Look I don't want to get into that subject. It's not right. Not right."

Back