Pigs at the troth: economic stimulus 2009

Duty Honor Country

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-lobbying14-2008dec14,0,6266251.story

the lobbyists are coming, the lobbyists are coming...

...well no, they are already here. The link above is to an article detailing what the lobbyists are asking for when Obama becomes president. I know the Dems want a new economic stimulus package and there is the funding to put 2.5 million people to work. That requires large sums of borrowed money and "is like chum in the water for lobbyists circling to snap up some taxpayer cash for their clients." I really love that quote.

Anyways, here are my favorite bids detailed in the article.

"21st century national transportation system" of mass transit and walking and bike paths: It is proven beyond a doubt that walking and biking paths will drastically improve the economy...yeah right. Please remember I am cyclist. Bike and walking paths do not make money...period!

"a consortium of environmental groups has unveiled a $160-billion pitch for "green" stimulus, including investments in national parks, renewable fuels and energy efficiency. Just as notable is what they are lobbying against: any construction work that widens existing roads or builds new ones, which the groups contend would amount to investing in the automobile traffic that contributes to global warming.": I do not think that national parks really make all that much money either. I mean those fees are not all that much and if I remember they get funding every year which means they do not make a profit. Oh those evil cars and trucks. How do most businesses ship their stuff anyway?

Then there's the American Library Assn., seeking $100 million for libraries:Umm what does libraries have to do with economic stimulus or transportation????

"The catfish industry is on the verge of collapse..." Officials are talking about seeking $50 million in aid as a stimulus: This one speaks for itself. It makes as much sense as giving $3.5 million to a military blimp project that the military doesn't want.

The risk, of course, is that any final stimulus package could become so larded with requests that nothing takes priority, or that it becomes so huge that it simply worsens the nation's mounting budget deficit.:Common sense...which means no one in government will give a :cens: about it and I am predicting that this is exactly what will happen.

If any of you have seen Deadwood where dead bodies get dumped in Mr. Woo's pig pit and the hogs start squealing...that is what I envisioned when I read the article.

The United States is spending its way into the ground. When will it stop? Adam Smith might have the answer. He says governments will start saving money when it can no longer borrow it.

Again, I am beyond livid time for bed.

I reccommend that everyone read Debt of Honor, by Tom Clancy. What we really need is to clean congressional house. K street should be burned to the ground and never be rebuilt. Too many of our politicians are being influenced by the lobbyists, irrespective of the need of their constituents. Maybe the money that the these groups are paying to the lobbyists should be used for, say improving their businesses. Problem is that it is too easy to get government appropriations.

Rush Limbaugh said once if he were president for a day he would sign an executive order to place a sign in every government office with the simple statement. "ITS NOT YOUR MONEY".
Too many times the bureaucrats forget this. They don;t care where the money comes from, they keep wanting more to spend. No efficiency in government.

The first problem is that no one can make it to office without money from lobbyists. It's a nice idea, but not feasibly possible.

I agree that our election process is still broke. But maybe we need to level the plaing field and mandate that no one can use private or corporate funding for campaigning. Plenty of loopholes I know and the lobbyists will find ways around the rules, but... Something has to change.

I agree that our election process is still broke. But maybe we need to level the plaing field and mandate that no one can use private or corporate funding for campaigning. Plenty of loopholes I know and the lobbyists will find ways around the rules, but... Something has to change.
Perhaps free advertisement to people running, but limit one commercial per 90 minutes for a canidate.

I think we need to limit the time allowed to campaign. Say 2-4 weeks before the election. I was so happy when the election was over. I was tired of seeing the campaign ads (for both candidates) for the past year.

Mayors' infrastructure request full of pork, critic says
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/18/mayors.pork/index.html

The U.S. Conference of Mayors went to Capitol Hill earlier this month with a report listing 11,391 infrastructure projects proposed by 427 cities...[which costs $73.2 billion]. The mayors claimed the proposal would create 847,641 jobs in 2009 and 2010.

Included in this vital infrastructure request are...

$4.8 million polar bear exhibit at the Providence, Rhode Island, zoo.

$1.5 million for a water ride at the Grapeland Water Park.

$20 million minor league baseball museum in Durham, North Carolina

$6.1 million for corporate jet hangars at the Fayetteville, Arkansas, airport

$20 million for renovations at the Philadelphia Zoo

$1.5 million program to reduce prostitution in Dayton, Ohio.

$376.5 million for aquatic centers, museums, bike paths, zoos, skateboard parks, dog and equestrian parks, police department stun guns, tree planting and murals.

I am not making this stuff up. Everyday I am reminded that everyone and their mother wants massive government spending. Obama wants $800 billion to jump start the economy. Massive spending equals massive waste.

Fiscal responsibility is dead

Back