pictures of damaged US Sub

Duty Honor Country

fresh from the wires

it is amazing only one US sailor died.

r3272016041.jpg

r2905635547.jpg

Wow, that's more damage than I thought it took.

How fast was it going and what exaclty happened? Did it just slam into a cliff head-on or scrape past a big boulder or what?

I'm glad the article pointed out that it was an uncharted seamount they struck. Not being a submariner, I can't make an intelligent question as to why they didn't pick it up on sonar, but I imagine there may be one. (i.e. not wanting to be found).

I think the question is, how did everyone miss it? Probably it was charted wrong on the map and they just cruised right into it thinking they had a clear path.

i heard the news was saying "they used outdated maps"....

-----------------------------------------

this is a SSN isn't it, are they gona fix it or what? how much it's gona cost to fix this thing? 200M?

mod edit: Do not post back to back. Use the edit button to add to an existing post.

hmm i was on a tour of a sub and apparently they spend most of their time in 'passive' where they just listen rather than sending out sonar, this could be a reason.

Yeah, it would defeat the purpose of a sub if it sent out sonar the whole time to see where it's going. It would light up like a christmas tree on any surface ships' sensors. They probably had old charts or read the charts wrong. Either way, someone's in trouble.
The fact that only one sailor died is testament to the incredible ingineering that goes into these machines. If this was a WW2 era sub, we would never have known what happened to it.

Back