Pics of your dog

No, but then he is given a command that lets him know that this is the time when this behavior is allowed. Without the command he wouldn't think of acting like this. Many people who do schutzhund type training on their own neglect to train that command and so wind up with an aggressive dog. The command is only half of it though. The other half is that after each tussle I pat him and stroke his fur, scratch around his ears and other such endearments that re-enforce his warm and gentle side just as the actions before honed his aggressions. That, and during the aggressions he is taught what is allowed and what is not. To him, it amounts to play wrestling like you might do with your brother or friend when you were a kid. So Odin is quite friendly with other dogs. He's never started a fight.

Odin wasn't strictly the Viking god of war, btw, Tyr was the god of war. Odin was the king of the gods and the god of wisdom and to some extent war as well but mostly honor in war. Tyr was the god of war itself. I named him Odin because all my German Shepards have had Teutonic names and Odin's father's name was Thor (though in the Norse myths it was the reverse). It was prophetic to have named him after the god of wisdom as Odin is the smartest Shepard I've ever had by far and they aren't dumb dogs to start with.

Well, my girlfriend didn´t do it by her self, and if i remember right they gave the dogs that kind of orders...The thing is that we began to see Gina a little bit more touchy to fights.. but she didn´t began any...She is too kind, but I wouldt like to see her mad...She is 40 kg now and 69 cm tall, a bigger than a dobberman female should be, she is a little bit masculine,
when she pees she lift her leg just like a male! ;) She is really dominant!!

Well, I don't like stereotyping anything least of all dogs, however, Dobermans do have the reputation for all that you've described. They tend to be more aggressive than German Shepards. Not more capable though some would argue that. I should also say that I've seen some real sweet dispositioned Dobbies too. I know of one that loved a kitten like it was her pup. God help you if you bothered that kitten though. :lol:

When I was in college my best friend had a Dobbie about the size of my German Shepard. When they met the Dobbie attacked my dog and the two fought until they were both worn out. Neither won - it was a draw. After that they became good pals. Evidently they decided they could both be "top dog".

Wow nice pics Charge, man, I really want a big dog now.

Do you guys take your dogs to doggie parks? I went yesterday and saw a bunch of different sized dogs and they apparently could get along fine. My dog was too afraid to leave me so the whole time I was sitting on the bench she was hiding underneath it. There would be dogs coming over to greet her and taunt her for a chase but she was too chicken to go out. Hopefully with more visits to the park she'll get used to other dogs and become more social.

How badly do German Shepards shed?

This is my west highland, his name is dusty....you can imagine why...
He is kind of wild...

dusti2.jpg

He loves hunting...birds,lizards,mouses,rats,cats....

Zyca, yes I do bring Odin to parks. There are no dog parks here specifically, however, dogs are so omnipresent here that all parks amount to being "dog parks". It was at such a park that the woman I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this topic approached me. She was amazed that Odin picked up all his toys and put them back in the car after only being told "okay, it's time to go". She asked me to teach her kids to do that. :lol:

Socialization is a very important lesson that all dogs should learn and have the lesson re-enforced - particularly if you have a large dog. I bring Odin with me everywhere I can. As he is a schutzhund level 3 he is also a volunteer tracking dog. He even has one "save" to his credit. Last year he picked up the scent of an elderly man with alzheimer's who had wandered off. The man had gone into a woodland path that was easy enough going and the weather was warm. He might very well have been found anyway the next day as the path circled back into town, but maybe not. Who knows? Odin got the credit none the less. He's been on a few other searches but that's his only success so far. Other dogs have found the missing on his other searches first, but his being on call is rewarded and appreciated. In recognition of this, Odin has a "rescue dog" vest and is allowed to go into any building with me by law - the same as seeing eye dogs. So socialization is vital for him.

Stauro, Westies are nice dogs. Having three grandparents who were West Highlanders themselves, I've often thought of getting one myself someday. Maybe it will be the dog for my elder years. As for being "wild" well terriers are pretty much their own dogs. They don't seem to have the pack instincts of other dogs so much and are consequently quite happy to do their own thing. Then again, it could just be because they're Celts. :lol:

Socialization needs to start as early as possible.
Here's some pics of Odin playing with a Golden Retriever he made friends with.
Odin is just 7 months old in these pictures.

They don't seem to have the pack instincts of other dogs so much and are consequently quite happy to do their own thing. Then again, it could just be because they're Celts.

Ehehehehe, this explains many things...he´s a "Brave Heart". He is never afraid of big dogs, actually he likes to show up with them, not with the small ones...

He is really independent,i used to live in a small fishing town in northern Spain, and he usually left home by himself and come back at the next morning completely dirty and tired...who knows what he did..., you could noticed that he arrive because you could hear him barking down stairs.
Now he is 10 years old, but he still have tons of energy.
He is in Spain now, so i miss him... :?

As Charge said, I think is really important that dogs get used to his buddies, this way you won´t have an antisocial dog.

This is gina & dusti socializating:
dusti-gina.jpg

In this link you can see more pictures( Gina with the donkey is pretty funny :lol: )

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/staurofilakes/ginasocializando.jpg

This is gina in dusty´s bed..very funny too!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/staurofilakes/ginaencamadusti.jpg

Ooopss, sorry!

Here are the photos:

gina-donkey.jpg

ginaencamadusty.jpg

gina in dusty´s bed...

Dusty can´t be with me because I live in Sweden with my girlfriend in a 30 square meters apartment, and 2 dogs and 2 humans is too much, that´s why he is with my parents in Spain :(

I wish my dog would socialize with other dogs, but it's my fault. When I got her she was about 12 weeks old, I spent a lot time getting her friendly with the then 3 months old kitten. Next I found out the kitten has hernia so I spent a lot of time caring for him, and delayed the activities the dog book recommended me doing. She is really sweet with people but she's not used to seeing animals. Hopefully I can make up for the mistake and get her to socialize with other dogs by going to the park frequently now. She has already shown signs of improvement, she stopped barking although she's still intimidated by the larger dogs.

Charge, your dog is awesome. I'd be very proud too if I have a dog like Odin. My fiance' and I have our hands full with our pets, so we won't be getting more; as much as I love my dog now, I'd hoped that she's a bigger dog and also that I had spent more time training her. It might give my fiance' a better sense of security when I am away on trips too.

Lol, staurofilakes, I like the pic where gina sits in dusty's bed. Looks very cute!

Here's mine nothing special but they serve their purpose.... :lol:

feet.jpg

Just kidding, these aren't mine but I couldn't resist.... :D

Stauro, "dogs" is a euphemism in this part of the world and probably elsewhere for your feet.

Nice pic indeed of Gina in Dusty's bed. I had a good laugh at that one. :lol:

No room for such a tiny dog as Dusty? That's a shame. I hope you can find a larger place so he can be with you now that he's in his final years. I've seen all my dogs go though I nearly missed one. When my second German Shepard was dying my father wrote to tell me and asked if he should put her down for me I went to my CO in Germany and asked for emergency leave as I was still in the regulars at the time. When asked why I stated that a "relative" was dying. When questioned further I admitted it was my dog. I expected to get a serious lashing but the captain was a dog lover too and my request was granted. I made it just in time to say goodbye.

Zyca, it's never too late to train your dog so don't worry about starting late. That old expression that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is just that, an expression. It isn't true. Large dogs are my preference, but little dogs are great too. It's great for him you've given him a home and I'm sure you're getting plenty of benefits from his company.

staurofilakes said:
CavScout said:
Here's mine nothing special but they serve their purpose.... :lol:

Just kidding, these aren't mine but I couldn't resist.... :D

:?:

When I was in the Army you referred to your feet as your "Dogs", so after a particularly hard day you would wanna kick back in a chair with a cold beer and rest your dogs (feet).... get it?

No room for such a tiny dog as Dusty? That's a shame. I hope you can find a larger place so he can be with you now that he's in his final years. I've seen all my dogs go though I nearly missed one. When my second German Shepard was dying my father wrote to tell me and asked if he should put her down for me I went to my CO in Germany and asked for emergency leave as I was still in the regulars at the time. When asked why I stated that a "relative" was dying. When questioned further I admitted it was my dog. I expected to get a serious lashing but the captain was a dog lover too and my request was granted. I made it just in time to say goodbye

Yes, it is a shame..but I see him each couple of months or so. What a nice Captain you had! I understand when you say relatives, I consider them as members of the family. Dogs are incredible, each morning they salute you like if he hadn´t seen you for years, they are always in a good mood, they give so much (even their own live as you have told us!! amazing!!) and ask for so little in exchange for, not like most humans...

When I was in the Army you referred to your feet as your "Dogs", so after a particularly hard day you would wanna kick back in a chair with a cold beer and rest your dogs (feet).... get it?

:oops: Okey, now i get it...English is not my mother tongue language, so sometimes it is hard to understand jokes, double meanings,euphemism... ;)

Here's a pic of our new "baby".

Freya just arrived from Germany and she will be our new breeding female when she's old enough a couple years from now.

Just two. We lost our last female to a "hunter's" gun last year. I use quotation marks because no real hunter would've done what that guy did.

Brunhilde was shot on our front lawn - less than 75 feet from our house. He tried to claim he thought she was a coyote (there are eastern coyotes here) but she was three times bigger and the wrong color, plus he shot her on our lawn. The judge didn't buy it. He broke two laws - shooting someone's dog and shooting too close to a residence. He had his hunting licence revoked and since we earned money from Brunhilde breeding pups, we got the max award financially which is $10,000.

Most folks can unfortunately only get $50 if someone kills their dog and he was no doubt counting on that. However, the law here provides for more if you get an income from the dog. He had to sell his truck to pay for it. A hard loss for him no doubt, but we lost our girl and a beloved member of the family. He goes around town now telling about how he's the "victim" of a "screwed up law". I always set the record straight about what he did when asked. The only thing "screwed up" is that the law only covers those who get an income from their dogs. All dogs should be so valued.

I am really sorry, I can imagine what you went through... :cry: That guy must be really stupid, hope that he got his gun licence removed!
Probably next time he uses his gun he will check before shoting. I consider my dogs as members of my family, If i would have been in your situation i would have had problems to control my self!! you must be a really equilibrated person ;) ( i do not know if this expression is correct, hope ypu understand what i mean..)

Back