Picking up trades in the army?

Kilgore

Hi all, just to let you know, DFR offered me a job as a crewman for Armoured personnel carriers. My enlistment is at January the 10th 2006.... I am happy that i know when im going but the problem is that its half a year away. So i have to do part time jobs and wait until that comes up.

Anyway, after wasting a year which could have been used for TAFE, i wonder when i can pick up a trade during my career. Am i able to do so sometime during service? I sure hope so because i don't want to leave the army with no civilian qualifications. Its probably better asking the DFR but as usual, i like to also hear from others. Please inform me if you can.

I also wonder if a non officer can also go to ADFA...

I think only officers can go to ADFA because having a grunt with a degree gives no advantage to the ADF.

Ah not quite. If you go to ADFA you go and do your degree, but in a military environment, then you've gotta go and do Duntroon afterwards to actually get commisioned.... so you spend a very, very long time as a staff cadet.

As for taking up a trade, there are heaps available through the army... only thing is you'll owe them a lot of service to pay them back in the end.

"gruntiest of grunts" :lol: I like that.

You won't pick up much even remotely useful in civillian quals in armoured. Combat corps are useless that way.
Best bet is just to stick with your job till, you get sick of it then tranfer to something that will help you out later on.
Like the greatest corps of them all, the engineers!

Wallabies said:
I meant the gruntiest of grunts, the enlisted men.

Not true any soldier can apply to go to ADFA as long as they have all the requirments.

I personally know of 2 that have made it and are doing well and they were both grunts and enlisted men.(OR's in Austarlian Army speak)

Back