Physical Training question/improvments

Percival

I'm asking if anyone has any idea on improvements in my PT routine.

This is what I do as follows 7 days a week, but I do easy-hard every other day so as to not over work my self.

1-mile warm up, I do it at a jog/running pace to warm up.

Get to my schools stadium and I stretch (calfs, quads, arms, ect...)

I run up the stadium as stairs (I wish I had info on how large and what not but unfortunately I do not)
I knock out ten push ups,
run about 10 meters knock out another ten,
run down stairs run about 10 meters and run up stairs,
knock out another ten push ups,
run ten meters and knockout another ten push up,
run down stairs and onto track.

When I do the push ups I do one set of wide arm, one diamond, one shoulder width, and then the last one is wide arm.

I run about (rough estimate) about 250 meters to a pull up bar,
I rest for 10 seconds then I do a 10 second dead hang, as I go down I count down from 5. I repeat this at 3 times.

I run the rest of the track, over all the track is about 650 meters.

I do this 4 times to equal about 2 miles(ish, a really big ish).

I jog 1 mile home as a cool down.

When I get home I do 5 set of 20 crunches with a 20 second rest between each set.

Any recommendations on this PT routine? I'm training for Marine Corps boot camp in which I leave for in 2 months... I cannot wait, I am very motivated.

Any ideas will be appreciated, thank you.

I might increase the number of push-ups per set on the stairs, since rarely will you find yourself doing only 10 push-ups at a time, especially in the USMC.

Also, don't forget to practice doing max everything, as if you were being tested. I fell into a trap where I could do a zillion sets of whatever exercise, but when I tried to max out, I performed like s***. When I alternated maxing out and endurance, I did about 150% better on my PT tests.

Hope this helps, good luck!

It is great that you are doing all this for the physical side. But trust me when i tell you that it is CRUCIAL to study the knowlege like to general orders and the USMC history and the rank structure both officer and enlisted including Warrant officers. these little tidbits will save your hide in bootcamp and you might get a promotion out of it. if you can get your recruiter to hook you up with a knowlege book and study the crap out of it. you WILL know your knowlege when you get off the depot but if you know it before there won't be as much pain needed to learn it when taught by the Drill Instructors.

just a suggestion.

BTW i got off of Parris Island on 06 MAY 2005

Yeah I was considering just maxing out on push ups from now on, but I never really decided to do it. I will now.

I have the Army and Marine Corps rank structure memorized, I now need to remember the General Orders.

Welcome back Marine, I too will have my oppurtunity to go to Boot Camp.

Do longer sustained runs, your hard days should be runs of no less than 4 miles. Easy days, 2 miles.

And push ups till muscle failure ensuring you keep proper form, so sway backs, all the way down and all the way up.

On the money bulldogg; proper tehnique is of utmost importance. I may sound like CPT Obvious here, but If you train yourself to do 150 push ups the wrong way, you will have a really difficult time come test day. Head up, and break the plane formed by your upper arms and shoulder blades, and you will do a perfect push up every time. And as bulldogg said, go all the way up.

Back