phonetic alphabet

SHERMAN

Well, can you write it down for me...I know just a few(A=Alpha, B=Bravo,Y=Yankee, and a few more)....

From memory...

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
X-Ray
Yankee
Zulu

That should be it.

A note on the pronounciation of a few of these. This btw is just the way I learned them. It may or may not be universal.
N: November: comes out Novemba' (think bad Boston accent)
Q: Quebec: Ka-beck not Qwabeck

Historical Footnote: S-Sierra was Sugar up until recently (last 20 years or so)

Re: lol

sherman105 said:
The noumbers are almost Israeli accent...No "th".....

Once you pass the "Mason-Dixon" line on the Eastern coast of the US, "th" ceases to exist as well.

Re: lol

RnderSafe said:
sherman105 said:
The noumbers are almost Israeli accent...No "th".....

Once you pass the "Mason-Dixon" line on the Eastern coast of the US, "th" ceases to exist as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: so true...I live right by the Mason Dixon, so I'll switch it up sometimes :D

I don't know how ya'll call cadences but I learned it "Hut, 2, 3, 4." Only the numbers come out:

HuT
TwooP
ThreeP
FourP

I think one of the funniest things is the "Marine accent" that almost everyone ends up with if you do drill long enough. Your command voice becomes like the adults in Peanuts (Charlie Brown), "Wahh wahhh wahh wah!"

samirine said:
I think one of the funniest things is the "Marine accent" that almost everyone ends up with if you do drill long enough. Your command voice becomes like the adults in Peanuts (Charlie Brown), "Wahh wahhh wahh wah!"

hahaha its so true.

I'd have to agree, even though I'm not trying to my command voice has shifted so that it sounds like a Marine. (One of the guys that helped me learn to call cadence is a Marine).

And I learned cadence as "a one, two hree, our (pronounced "or" barely here the "f") but everyone does it different.

C/CPO

HOORAH

Never heard of that Mason- dixon line... what's that? How about cadence, whats that mean ? What you talking about ?

It's sad that some of us know he entire alphabet by heart when we havn't even gone through BCT yet... Not that i'm insulting you
cuase i know it as well... hehe.

ItalianGuy wrote:
Never heard of that Mason- dixon line... what's that? How about cadence, whats that mean ? What you talking about ?

The mason dixon line is the 36 parallel in the US and caused the division of northern and southern states.

Cadences or jody calls are poems/songs sung while marching.

We are talking about the pronunciation of the english alphabet and the different accents.

Thanks Darkmb101 didn't know then. All I know about US accents is to tell the East coast from the west coast one. I like the West coast so much better though.

Italianguy, what do you mean the west coast is so much better than the east coast accent? What east coast accent are you referring to? There are many very different accents from Maine to Florida. The east coast certainly has more accents than the west coast. I'd bet that even someone from Italy can easily tell the difference between a New England accent and a Southern Georgian drawl.
Nothing to do with phonetic alphabets but I just had to comment.

DTop said:
Italianguy, what do you mean the west coast is so much better than the east coast accent?

Duuuuuuude! What's up, bra?

:lol:
Sorry, Top, I couldn't resist. :lol:

About phonetic alphabets, I think the best one is that used in the movie "Supertroopers" hands down.

Back