philosophers

Duty Honor Country

I will say that knowing philosophy is definitely a weakpoint for me. I got Homer's The Republic at a yard sale for 50 cents and have been thumbing thru it occasionally. There is some good stuff in there.

Anyone got any favorite philosophers to share?

John Locke, Montescue and many many Enlightenment era philosophers who helped us have freedom of speech and choice

Sun Tzu and Von Clauswitz are seminal works on warfare and steeped in philosophy.

Having been through a liberal arts college and all that entails I would highly recommend becoming well versed in the "fallacies of logic" before entertaining the works of any philosopher. This breed of thinker has the tendancy to sound nothing sound like something... but not as entertaining as the Donald Rumsfeld method mind you. ;)

Immanuel Kant
(1724-1804)

In the Kritik der Urteilskraft (Critique of Judgment) Kant drew art and science together under the concept of purpose. That was just one great work among many. The moral struggles we encounter today with science and religion were already well expressed by Kant 300 years ago.

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/kant.htm

Back