Phelps finishes with 6 golds at Open

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Two-time Olympian Michael Phelps was pleasantly surprised by his success at the U.S. Open Swimming Championships.
Phelps won the 100-meter freestyle in 49.16 seconds and the 200 butterfly in 1:55.77 on Saturday, giving him six gold medals during the three-day meet at Purdue's Boilermaker Aquatic Center.
"I didn't know what to expect, I had no idea really," the 21-year-old said. "I'm definitely pleased with how things went."
Phelps also won the 200 individual medley and 200 freestyle, and swam on Club Wolverine's championship 800-freestyle and 400-medley relays.
"This is definitely going to get me excited to keep everything going," Phelps said. "And hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to get some best times."
Phelps said his focus now shifts to training for the 2007 FINA World Championships in Melbourne, Australia, March 25-April 1.
"That's the one I'm looking forward to the most," he said. "The ball is rolling in the right direction - it's my job to keep it going."
In other races Saturday, Mary Descenza of the Athens (Ga.) Bulldog Swim Club won her third gold at the U.S. Open, taking the women's 100 freestyle in 56.19. She also finished third in the 200 butterfly.
"I swam better than I thought I could at this point in the season," Descenza said. "I was just excited to get back in there and start training again."
Katie Hoff won her third event, the 800 freestyle in 8:33.35.

Back