Personal Causes Motivate Runners

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Times
October 28, 2007
Pg. 4
By Dan Schiff, Washington Times
The Marine Corps Marathon annually showcases top-flight talent and familiar faces, but its claim to being the "People's Marathon" rests among the more than 20,000 other runners expected to pound the pavement through the District and Northern Virginia.
Today's 32nd running of the race — scheduled to begin at 7:50 a.m. in Arlington — still offers no prize money, but the goal of completing the 26.2 miles will be reward enough for many entrants.
Among them will be Virginia Tech students Logan Thompson, 19, and Julia Kott, 20, both of Stephens City, Va., who were left numb in April when a gunman killed 32 members of their college community before committing suicide. They decided to run the marathon with a group of Virginia Tech supporters that started small but ballooned to 100, thanks to the enthusiasm of race director Rick Nealis.
Each Virginia Tech runner was responsible for raising $1,000 so the team could endow a $100,000 Hokie Memorial Marathon Fund scholarship at Virginia Tech.
Mr. Thompson, a sophomore mechanical engineering major, thinks running a marathon is a suitably challenging endeavor to commemorate lost classmates and professors.
"A 10K or something like that, that's looked upon as great. But a marathon, people stand back and say, 'Wow, they did something. They put forth a lot of effort,' " he said.
Both students knew a shooting victim personally, and Miss Kott, a junior biology major, said she will draw on the strength of those not present.
"I definitely think we're going to have extra motivation," she said. "We're running for those victims."
As first-time marathoners, Mr. Thompson and Miss Kott will be up against some seasoned veterans, including a few holdovers from the first running of the Marine Corps Marathon in 1976. Five hardy "Groundpounders" will each be attempting to complete the race for the 32nd consecutive time.
Mel Williams, 69, of Norfolk is running his second marathon of the year and his 121st overall. He ran the first Marine Corps Marathon while teaching a marathoning course at Old Dominion University in Norfolk. He ran it for about 13 years before he realized he had a streak going.
Mr. Williams hopes to bounce back from a personal worst finish in last year's race and finish in the neighborhood of 3 hours and 30 minutes, though he admits that his prime marathon days are behind him.
"They're getting harder with age," he said, chuckling. "I started running marathons in my late 30s. They got a little easier in my 40s, even up to age 50. Then from that point on it's been pretty much downhill."
Mr. Williams acknowledged some friendly competition with other Groundpounders over who would be the "last man standing." He said he has no illusions about his marathoning future but no current plans to slow down, either.
"Every year I try it, just go out and put the miles in," he said. "Hopefully I'll be running around in my 80s like some people are, but that's a ways down the road."
Jill Stevens, 24, from Kaysville, Utah, is a 10-time marathon finisher and will represent her state in the 2008 Miss America pageant.
Miss Stevens is visiting the District for the second time and said she is eagerly anticipating the marathon's sightseeing benefits.
"I'm really trying to get out and see our nation's history," she said, adding that it would be "really exciting to do that while running, so two great passions at the same time."
Whatever challenges the race poses, Miss Stevens has been through worse. As a sergeant in the Utah National Guard, she served a year in Afghanistan as a combat medic.
Her war experience led Miss Stevens to partner with Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors Inc., for which she and more than 200 other marathon runners are raising funds to benefit grieving families of armed forces casualties.
"When I heard about this program, it just worked so perfectly, we both wanted to help each other out," she said. "With the battle buddies that I've lost out there, it's a great cause to be running for."

Back