The Perils of Withdrawal

Absolutely concur.

MontyB

I don't think it would be an impossibility but the real questions are whether:
a) The US administration has the desire to do it.
b) Whether it has the ability diplomatically to put together such a grouping.

My personal belief is that no change in policy nor course is possible while GWB remains in office but 3 years from now that may change.

I absolutely concur with your statement " if " the temperment of the congress and the administration does a 180 degree turnabout. Getting rid of a CIC that couldn't even shine the shoes of the lowliest trooper will help 100 percent.

As far as the civil war, a new dictator, and three states is concerned - it will definitely depend on how good a job our young troopers on the ground in Iraq carry out their mission between now and the time when we finally turn the country back over to the Iraqi's and pull the last of our troops back across Iraq's borders. If the pundits predictions mean anything, an Iraq with a strong central government and a military force capable of protecting Iraq's borders would go a long way towards prevention of a civil war.

All we can hope for is some kind of peaceful resolution to a situation that many ex-military and active military personnel for quite sometime have been calling a quagmire.

Last edited:
Back