people vs cats

SHERMAN

For those of you who dont know, I work as a secuirty guard part time at my university. Security guards in Israel are under-paid, under apreciated, and generally mistreated as a group. The job has a stigma of being a dead end job for people of zero qualifications. Basically, if you are over 30 and thats your job, people feel sorry for you(but still curse you when you dont let them in).

Among my co-workers is a guy called Mike. Mike is an Ex South African Army sniper, Ex Israeli YAMAM(SWAT) Sniper, and Ex Tour-Guide. He speaks several langaiges and is an expert in firearms and tactical shooting. He is in his late 50s, and is doing this job because he dosent want to be away from home too much. To understate things, he is hugely over qualified for the job in all concieveable aspects. Obviously that causes him to be very cynical about his work.

Mike always works the same gate, with the same partner. They have 3 cats that hang around there, because mike loves animals and he feeds the cats every morning, 5 minutes before he opens the gate.

One day Mike was feeding the cats when a woman came to the gate. There were still a few minutes before the gate needed to be open, and Mike still was off-duty. Mike continued to feed the cats, leaving the woman to wait till opening houre. This upset the woman causing the following and very classical, IMHO, exchange:
Woman:"Open the gate"
Mike:"I will soon"
Woman:"Please open the gate"
Mike:"Im feeding the cats, Its not time to open yet"
Woman(Yelling):"Are animals more important to you than people?"
Mike(Now irritated):"I like 90% of animals and only 10% of people. And maddam,you are not in those 10%".

Last edited:
Back