Pentagon Study Finds Beards Directly Related To Combat Effectiveness

I don't know about combat effectiveness, but they sure are sexy (if taken care of properly). ;)

An RAF pilot on detachment to the USAF was told not too long ago to shave off his handlebar moustache by the American CO.

It's a little bit ticklish and it takes a fair bit of trimming. But Flight Lieutenant Chris Ball never dreamed his handlebar moustache would get him trouble with the U.S. military.

When the RAF pilot was sent on an exchange posting, an American General told him it had to go.

Under U.S. Air Force rules, moustaches should not extend downwards beyond the upper lip or sideways beyond the corner of the mouth.

Flt Lt Ball's handlebar measures an impressive six inches from tip to tip - making it almost as long as the teastrainer sported by Lord Kitchener.

'The Yanks are not allowed to grow a full-length tash,' Flt Lt Ball said yesterday. 'After I was told to trim mine down I had to dig out the Queen's Regulations to prove I was not breaching our own code.'

The Regulations state that a moustache should not extend below the edge of the mouth. However, there are no rules on how wide it can be.

So after an 'exchange of views' with the General, the pilot managed to escape a session-with a razor. The face-off took place after Flt Lt Ball, who normally flies Tornado GR4s from RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland, joined the U.S. 336th Fighter Squadron in February.

Handlebar moustaches such as the one worn by Flt Lt Ball are something of a tradition in the Air Force, with the luxuriant facial hair of Gulf War hero Pablo Mason becoming his trademark.

The Ministry of Defence yesterday said juggling the UK's military regulations with those of foreign forces during exchanges could be 'tricky'.

A spokesman added: 'In this case, simple things like the time to turn up to work and go home would come under the U.S.A.F. But attire, facial hair and discipline would follow RAF rules.'

The Handlebar Club, based in London, said there had been similar cases of anti-moustache discrimination.

An RAF pilot on detachment to the USAF was told not too long ago to shave off his handlebar moustache by the American CO.

It's a little bit ticklish and it takes a fair bit of trimming. But Flight Lieutenant Chris Ball never dreamed his handlebar moustache would get him trouble with the U.S. military.

When the RAF pilot was sent on an exchange posting, an American General told him it had to go.

Under U.S. Air Force rules, moustaches should not extend downwards beyond the upper lip or sideways beyond the corner of the mouth.

Flt Lt Ball's handlebar measures an impressive six inches from tip to tip - making it almost as long as the teastrainer sported by Lord Kitchener.

'The Yanks are not allowed to grow a full-length tash,' Flt Lt Ball said yesterday. 'After I was told to trim mine down I had to dig out the Queen's Regulations to prove I was not breaching our own code.'

The Regulations state that a moustache should not extend below the edge of the mouth. However, there are no rules on how wide it can be.

So after an 'exchange of views' with the General, the pilot managed to escape a session-with a razor. The face-off took place after Flt Lt Ball, who normally flies Tornado GR4s from RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland, joined the U.S. 336th Fighter Squadron in February.

Handlebar moustaches such as the one worn by Flt Lt Ball are something of a tradition in the Air Force, with the luxuriant facial hair of Gulf War hero Pablo Mason becoming his trademark.

The Ministry of Defence yesterday said juggling the UK's military regulations with those of foreign forces during exchanges could be 'tricky'.

A spokesman added: 'In this case, simple things like the time to turn up to work and go home would come under the U.S.A.F. But attire, facial hair and discipline would follow RAF rules.'

The Handlebar Club, based in London, said there had been similar cases of anti-moustache discrimination.

Yup, thats right... stand your ground. Show these colonists whose Boss...!:bravo:

"Heared Godfather hisself say you look like a bum."

tumblr_lxon7dvGME1qa1n7vo1_500.png

But, but, but... if beards make you more combat effective, this will lead to a new era of MAD. The Taliban have beards.
Are we going to create a strategic stockpile of facial hair so that we can win against their already long established stash?

This can only end badly, Night of the Long Razors, ninjas sneaking into bases to shave enemy commanders...

And it also applies to women.

I knew some WRAF who sported a better tash then I did. In fact you could have bolted fins on their ankles then dropped them out of a Vulcan on the Taliban, they would have surrendered without a shot being fired.

You Know, it used to be hip to have a beards/mustaches in the military..

Napoleon's Old Guard (if you look at my Avatar) for example growing a beard/mustache was a requirement.

The US Civil War, it was a fashion statement to grow a beard/mustache, especially for the Confederates although Union troops did so as well.

Prussian Army under Frederic the Great a mustache was a requirement, they even issues mustache grooming kits to the soldiers.

Back