Pentagon confirms using white phosphorous in Iraq - Page 4

--

November 17th, 2005  
DTop

Thanks Missileer, I still don't remember WP grenade. It must have been an oldie even back then.
November 17th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop
Thanks Missileer, I still don't remember WP grenade. It must have been an oldie even back then.
Well, they're more of a solution looking for a problem. Probably used more for marking in high winds or night drops.
November 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I still don't get it, why would it be bad to drop WP on suspected insurgents? Seems like it's some nasty that would burn them straight to hell.
--
November 17th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
They were around in 84 when I went to Boot. Mk 11 I think.
November 19th, 2005  
bulldogg

When I went through Basic in 88 they were talked about on the range when we went to qualify with grenades but all I remember is being scared one of the screwups in the platoon was gonna lose all coordination and toss his frag sideways.
November 19th, 2005  
DTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
They were around in 84 when I went to Boot. Mk 11 I think.
OK, I'm sure that was the case but I remember using the M8 for white smoke and the thermite and TH3 (thermate) for incendiary purposes. Maybe they didn't let us use the WP grenades because they knew we'd hurt ourselves
November 19th, 2005  
Missileer

The Marines always get all the fun toys anyhow.