Pentagon confirms using white phosphorous in Iraq

When I was in high school we had a guy come around to give us a @Dont do drugs, stay in school@ talk. Motivational speaker. I do not remember his name. What I do remember was he as a Vietnam vet, Navy SEAL, who had a WP hand grenade shot and explode while he was holding it about to throw it. He was burned and permanently disfigured, badly.

bulldogg said:
When I was in high school we had a guy come around to give us a @Dont do drugs, stay in school@ talk. Motivational speaker. I do not remember his name. What I do remember was he as a Vietnam vet, Navy SEAL, who had a WP hand grenade shot and explode while he was holding it about to throw it. He was burned and permanently disfigured, badly.

I think any grenade would permanetly disfigure you if you were holding it in your hand when it went off.

I think most would actually turn you into a steaming pile of hamburger... kinda hard to get a gig as a motivational speaker as a quarter pounder with cheese. He had suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns over a large percentage of his body and beat the odds and survived. The point is, if you get this stuff on you it will burn and like mentioned it is a chemical burn and doesn't quit til you deprive it of oxygen.

The point of this whole flap now is whether or not the US and Brit's would target civilians. Its horse manure meant to inflame popular sentiment against the evil brutish coalition forces as they rape, pillage, murder and burn any and all muslims whether combatants or not.

:roll:

bulldogg said:
Just a quick question, what in the world is a WP hand grenade? I've seen fragmentation grenades, smoke grenandes, thermite/thermate (incindiary)grenades, concussion grenades, CS grenades, but no WP hand grenades.

DTop said:
bulldogg said:
Just a quick question, what in the world is a WP hand grenade? I've seen fragmentation grenades, smoke grenandes, thermite/thermate (incindiary)grenades, concussion grenades, CS grenades, but no WP hand grenades.

must have been a thermite grenade :p hehe

As far as I can see some people are worried about civilians being hurt by it. Lets face it civilians are never the target, if they are in a zone were fighting is taking place then they could get hurt, whether it be by one of these grenades or a bullet.

Morten said:
DTop said:
bulldogg said:

There's really no reason to throw a thermite grenade anywhere. That's not how they're used.

M15 White Phosphorous grenade
The M15 White Phosphorous grenade is a bursting type grenade used for signaling, screening, and incendiary purposes.

(1) Body -- sheet metal.

(2) Filler -- 15 ounces of white phosphorus.

(3) Fuze -- M206A2.

(4) Weight -- 31 ounces.

(5) Capabilities -- the average soldier can throw the grenade 30 meters. The grenade has a bursting radius of 17 meters. All friendly personnel within this 17-meter area should be in a covered position to avoid being struck by burning particles. The WP filler burns for about 60 seconds at a temperature of 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This intense heat causes the smoke produced by the grenade to rise quite rapidly, especially in cool climates. This makes the M15 grenade less desirable for use as a screening agent.

(6) Color/markings -- grey with one yellow band and yellow markings.

(7) First aid -- treat burns caused by WP in the same way as ordinary burns. If particles of WP are embedded in the flesh, immerse the wound in water or pack with wet cloths to halt combustion. Then pick out or squeeze out the WP. The particles will reignite spontaneously if allowed to dry. Apply copper sulphate solution to halt combustion of the WP particles. This permits them to be removed without igniting.

DTop said:
Morten said:
DTop said:
bulldogg said:

There's really no reason to throw a thermite grenade anywhere. That's not how they're used.

i know that... but i was wondering, what else could it be? :p now i know though... thanks Missileer... nice information :)

Personally, I favor the old standby thermite. It's much more destructive.

The Thermite Grenade is an incendiary type grenade emitting intense heat and flame. It contains a filler that burns for approximately 40 seconds at a temperature of 4,000 degrees (F). A portion of the filler turns into molten iron that produces intense heat, igniting or fusing whatever it touches. The Special Forces class use this grenade to complete "data destruction" type objectives such as ignited combustible materials, destroying weapons, records or equipment, or burning holes in metal doors.
Strengths

An excellent weapon for destroying equipment.

Can also be used as an anti-personnel grenade.

Weaknesses

Smaller blast radius than frag grenades.

Not ideal to employ against rapidly moving OPFOR.

These were used in WWII for destroying German artillery pieces.

Thanks Missileer, I still don't remember WP grenade. It must have been an oldie even back then.

DTop said:
Thanks Missileer, I still don't remember WP grenade. It must have been an oldie even back then.

Well, they're more of a solution looking for a problem. Probably used more for marking in high winds or night drops.

I still don't get it, why would it be bad to drop WP on suspected insurgents? Seems like it's some nasty :cen: that would burn them straight to hell.

DTop said:

They were around in 84 when I went to Boot. Mk 11 I think.

When I went through Basic in 88 they were talked about on the range when we went to qualify with grenades but all I remember is being :cen: scared one of the screwups in the platoon was gonna lose all coordination and toss his frag sideways.

03USMC said:
DTop said:

They were around in 84 when I went to Boot. Mk 11 I think.
OK, I'm sure that was the case but I remember using the M8 for white smoke and the thermite and TH3 (thermate) for incendiary purposes. Maybe they didn't let us use the WP grenades because they knew we'd hurt ourselves :lol:

Back