Penalty Box - Page 2

--
Boots

November 4th, 2014  
crazytanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
I was a far better field soldier than a garrison Soldier I wasn't the type you would invite to a cotillion .
Who said anything about formal? I did say a bar, y'know
November 4th, 2014  
tetvet

I have partied from East Hampton to Tokyo with a stop over at Seoul and Saigon Aretha was doing her Chain , Chain , Chain and the Animals We gotta get out of this Place and get down meant get up and do your thing .
November 4th, 2014  
tetvet

My Platoon Leader in VN was an 0-3 , 20 men in a aviation company Platoon including the 0-3 the Company CO was an 0-4 , 35 officers in my Company 5 commissioned the rest W=0's , Pilots flew 2 days then off 1 , enlisted flew 140 combat hours a month , none of this ever happen but sounded good on paper .
--
Boots
November 5th, 2014  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
My Platoon Leader in VN was an 0-3 , 20 men in a aviation company Platoon including the 0-3 the Company CO was an 0-4 , 35 officers in my Company 5 commissioned the rest W=0's , Pilots flew 2 days then off 1 , enlisted flew 140 combat hours a month , none of this ever happen but sounded good on paper .

Sounds familiar...

They implemented a policy on my last combat deployment that if we were within 20 meters of an explosion we were supposed to have 24 hours of down time to see if anyone was suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury...This quickly became unfeasible as the deployment went on because my platoon was going out, BOOM, down 24 hours...go out, BOOM...down 24 hours...pretty soon, it became apparent that no one would be going out on patrol at this rate so we "modified" the standard...Basically, if anyone near an explosion was knocked unconscious, puked, or saw stars...then they would go down for 24 hours...It seemed to help a bit...but not much.

It blew my mind because I was literally blown out of a Humvee on my first deployment from an RPG, had my ear drums blown, took shrapnel all over my hip, body armor, and face, likely had a TBI, and injured my back when I hit the pavement going 25 MPH, (on top of being shot in the body armor by an AK)...I was put on radio watch for a few days and then sent back out...craziness...
November 5th, 2014  
tetvet

The Military protocol on sustained combat was drawn up by people who really did not have a clue in the 1st Aviation Brigade which my unit was part of the Medical Staff had established the limits of what personal should be exposed to in a 30 day period and it really did sound about right but the key word I think was SHOULD and should was never going to happen ,