Pelosi Suggests Probe of Funding Sources Behind Opposition to Mosque Near Ground Zero

HokieMSG

Been a little slow lately. Hope this stirs things up.

From Fox news (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-debate-zoning-issue-says-new-yorkers-decide/)

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is suggesting a coordinated effort is behind the opposition to a proposed mosque and community center near Ground Zero, saying the whole dispute has been "ginned up" for political purposes and she supports an investigation into those opponents.

I cannot believe this. She is politicizing the issue by calling for an investigation. She, like a lot of other talking heads, has sounded off on something that she has nothing to do with and no business getting involved in.

One one hand she is complaining that those who oppose the mosque are part of (dare I say it) "A vast right wing conspiracy" (my words not hers).

On the other hand she is politicizing the issue even further by adding her 2 cents.

Sigh. It never seems to end.

This thing was too charged up to begin with and now I don't see how America could in fact win in this situation.

1) Build it, you don't hurt the position of moderate Muslims the world over but you alienate and anger Americans.
2) Don't build it, and you've just told the Constitution to go screw itself and you give political ammunition to extremist Muslims the world over and make life harder for the moderates.

Personally, I think Americans should be brave about it and build the Mosque.
But that's just not the way people work.
I smell a huge cluster fvck just waiting around the corner.

This thing was too charged up to begin with and now I don't see how America could in fact win in this situation.

1) Build it, you don't hurt the position of moderate Muslims the world over but you alienate and anger Americans.
2) Don't build it, and you've just told the Constitution to go screw itself and you give political ammunition to extremist Muslims the world over and make life harder for the moderates.

Personally, I think Americans should be brave about it and build the Mosque.
But that's just not the way people work.
I smell a huge cluster fvck just waiting around the corner.
I'd say this is a completly different problem. Discussion of the politics of the Mosque is in this Thread What we have here is the Speaker of the House threatening use of Govt power to intimidate people who feel they have ligit concerns about an issue & are speaking out on them. Pelosi is trying to get them to shut up through govt intimidation, threats & applied power. Everyone who like freedom of speach should be appaled at her actions.

Been a little slow lately. Hope this stirs things up.

From Fox news (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-debate-zoning-issue-says-new-yorkers-decide/)

I cannot believe this. She is politicizing the issue by calling for an investigation. She, like a lot of other talking heads, has sounded off on something that she has nothing to do with and no business getting involved in.

One one hand she is complaining that those who oppose the mosque are part of (dare I say it) "A vast right wing conspiracy" (my words not hers).

On the other hand she is politicizing the issue even further by adding her 2 cents.

Sigh. It never seems to end.

Pelosi is the one politicizing the issue???

It was Sarah Palin then Newt Gingrich followed by the rest of the Tea baggers that decided to politicize this. My very first post on the "Sarah Palin enters Mosque controversy" thread was telling the radical right not to use 9-11 for political grandstanding. That it was insulting to the people who actually lived there and who were there that day. But in the political carpetbaggers came nonetheless!

It was the right-wing thats using 9-11 as a political football just like they did in 2004. Why else would they have the GOP national convention in NYC?

And its not exactly a big secret the GOP is using the issue to influence the November Elections This was an ad of Senate Candidate Roy Blunt R-MO. In the ad Blunt criticizes his Democratic Adversary (Robin Caranhan) for saying "The Mosque issue is for New Yorkers to decide".

Well imagine that, What a masterstroke! A Missouri politician who thinks NYC local issues should be left to NYC. Unfortunately HokieMSG, it was the DEMOCRAT who said it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/gop_senate_candidate_yanks_vid.html

So I think you are alittle unfair because Pelosi decided to get as well.

Last edited:
Pelosi is the one politicizing the issue???
marsh, what part of
HokieMSG said:
did you not understand. I know that you hate all things conservative but please read the post before commenting on it.

It was Sarah Palin then Newt Gingrich followed by the rest of the Tea baggers that decided to politicize this. My very first post on the "Sarah Palin enters Mosque controversy" thread was telling the radical right not to use 9-11 for political grandstanding. That it was insulting to the people who actually lived there and who were there that day. But in the political carpetbaggers came nonetheless!

It was the right-wing thats using 9-11 as a political football just like they did in 2004. Why else would they have the GOP national convention in NYC?

And its not exactly a big secret the GOP is using the issue to influence the November Elections This was an ad of Senate Candidate Roy Blunt R-MO. In the ad Blunt criticizes his Democratic Adversary (Robin Caranhan) for saying "The Mosque issue is for New Yorkers to decide".

Well imagine that, What a masterstroke! A Missouri politician who thinks NYC local issues should be left to NYC. Unfortunately HokieMSG, it was the DEMOCRAT who said it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/gop_senate_candidate_yanks_vid.html

So I think you are alittle unfair because Pelosi decided to get as well.

marsh, the point that I was trying to make was that Pelosi was complaining that a certain issue was getting politicized and made the situation even worse by calling for an investigation. Just trying to point out that since this is a LOCAL issue, it should be handled LOCALLY.

Bottom line is Pelosi, just like Palin, was sticking her nose somewhere it should never be and attempting to capitalize on the issue.

As I said in my original post.

marsh, what part of

did you not understand. I know that you hate all things conservative but please read the post before commenting on it.

marsh, the point that I was trying to make was that Pelosi was complaining that a certain issue was getting politicized and made the situation even worse by calling for an investigation. Just trying to point out that since this is a LOCAL issue, it should be handled LOCALLY.

Bottom line is Pelosi, just like Palin, was sticking her nose somewhere it should never be and attempting to capitalize on the issue.

As I said in my original post.

Your asking the wrong question. Its not that I hate all things conservative, I wont lie, I absolutely LOATH conservative ideology. The question is why do I loath conservatives? This is a perfect example of why. Coupled with a politicans panache for political grandstanding...the right is the worlds greatest hypocrites. The right always lecture people on things then do precisely the same thing themselves. Not to pick on you HokieMsG, but its a enormous double-standard for him to single-out Pelosi (and a few other Dems) when for the past 4 weeks every single conservative politician running for office has done PRECISELY THE SAME THING.

The GOP are carpetbaggers. (For non-US members, Carpetbaggers are outsiders who move into an area merely to exploit the locals who live there). They using NY state merely to exploit a tragedy New Yorkers suffered for their own political gain. At least Pelosi shares the same values as New Yorkers do and is not using the issue to create a climate of fear against muslims for political benefit.

Last edited:
Your asking the wrong question. Its not that I hate all things conservative, I wont lie, I absolutely LOATH conservative ideology. The question is why do I loath conservatives? This is a perfect example of why. Coupled for your panache for political grandstanding...your're the worlds greatest hypocrites. You always lecture people on things then do precisely the same thing yourselves. Its a double-standard for you to single-out Pelosi (and a few other Dems) when for the past 4 weeks every single conservative politician running for office has done PRECISELY THE SAME THING.

The GOP are carpetbaggers. (For non-US members, Carpetbaggers are outsiders who move into an area merely to exploit the locals who live there). They using NY state merely to exploit a tragedy New Yorkers suffered for their own political gain. At least Pelosi shares the same values as New Yorkers do and is not using the issue to create a climate of fear against muslims for political benefit.
I'm sure if you asked most Americans if it was an attack on NYC or all of America, the vast majority would say it was an attack on all of us & we're interested in what's going on.
As I said in an earlier post (#3, everyone seems to be ignoring) what GOP politician has threatened to use to use to power of Govt. to "Investigate" ie intimidate people into silence on an issue that's important to them?

Hey ...

I hate to say so, but MMARSH is NOT completely wrong. This is a political football that should have been left in the closet.

No matter whether you are a conservative Republican or a liberal Democrat, the question of whether the mosque should be built anywhere near ground zero, is a local issue ... NOT A NATIONAL OR INTERNATIONAL issue.

Trying to make political hay over this disaster is (AND SHOULD), create a negative backlash against the politician who tries it.

BTW they have a right to build a mosque on the property they own. What is hilarious to me, is the fact that there is already a mosque that is closer to ground zero than the proposed mosque.

Hey hey easy there Mmarsh.
Let's not get nasty over this thing.

I reread my post and I realized I was far more aggressive then I actually intended.

In my original post I used the "YOU" form, but I wasn't trying to single out HokieMsg specifically, though I realize now thats how it came across. I meant to be referring about was talking about conservatives in general.

I have editted my post and I extend my apologies to Hokie, I did not intend to be rude.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you asked most Americans if it was an attack on NYC or all of America, the vast majority would say it was an attack on all of us & we're interested in what's going on.
As I said in an earlier post (#3, everyone seems to be ignoring) what GOP politician has threatened to use to use to power of Govt. to "Investigate" ie intimidate people into silence on an issue that's important to them?

No George, it isn't. While the country might empathize with New York, they did not suffer as we did, the people in the Pentagon and the people on Flight 93.

You don't have the scars we do. These were people we knew personally. I knew some of the victims, not well but well enough to remember their faces. I am going to carry those memories for the rest of my life.
These are not happy memories for us and we do not appreciate out of town carpetbaggers trying to exploit our pain for cheap political theatrics. Most people who were there don't talk about it that much.

When you think about it this is really not so different than what the WestBoro Church does.

Sorry for double post.

Last edited:
mmarsh,
I did not take offense. I accept your apology. I should apoligize for baiting you, though I am surprised you took it.

I agree with you (on this issue) and have said as much in my posts.
I hope that point is clear now.

I understand that you feel just as strongly about your liberal views as I feel about my conservative views. That being said, I have never hidden the fact that I feel most if not all politicians are hypocrites. I have a conservative outlook and cannot stand republicans calling themselves conservatives, they are not even close. Given that a large governement is anathema to freedom I shudder everytime I hear about the expansion of another government program. It pains me that a majority of the public has absolutely no clue what is going on in their government. It is good to see that you are paying attention and I certainly do enjoy debating with you.

BTW I grew up in NJ, my mother worked 20 blocks from the WTC. One of the managers was in a conference room facing the WTC and saw the first plane hit, he told the entire office about it and they were watching when the second plane hit. Mom got to see the posters looking for missing people. That hit her the hardest. A lot of people she commuted with worked there.

Back