Pelosi Endorses Murtha as Next Majority Leader

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

[SIZE=-1]By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 13, 2006; A01
[/SIZE]
House Speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) endorsed Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) yesterday as the next House majority leader, thereby stepping into a contentious intraparty fight between Murtha and her current deputy, Maryland's Steny H. Hoyer.
The unexpected move signaled the sizable value Pelosi gives to personal loyalty and personality preferences. Hoyer competed with her in 2001 for the post of House minority whip, while Murtha managed her winning campaign. Pelosi has also all but decided she will not name the ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee, Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.) to chair that panel next year, a decision pregnant with personal animus.
Pelosi had been outspoken about her frustration with Murtha's declaration that he would challenge Hoyer, currently the House minority whip, for the majority leader post long before Democrats had secured the majority. Many believed she would remain on the sidelines, just as Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) did earlier this year when three Republicans vied for the post of House majority leader.
But in her first real decision as the incoming speaker, Pelosi said she was swayed by Murtha's early stance for a withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq. Her letter of endorsement yesterday made clear that she sees Iraq as the central issue of the next Congress and that she believes a decorated Marine combat veteran at the helm of the House caucus would provide Democrats ammunition in their fight against congressional Republicans and President Bush on the issue.
"I salute your courageous leadership that changed the national debate and helped make Iraq the central issue of this historic election. It was surely a dark day for the Bush Administration when you spoke truth to power," she wrote. "Your strong voice for national security, the war on terror and Iraq provides genuine leadership for our party, and I count on you to lead on these vital issues."
Murtha responded, "I am deeply gratified to receive the support of Speaker Pelosi, a tireless advocate for change and a true leader for our Party and our country."
Pelosi's decision could be a significant blow to Hoyer, who has worked for years to move up in the Democratic leadership. Political handicappers had regarded Hoyer to be the strong favorite when House Democrats meet Thursday to choose a majority leader for the 110th Congress. Although Murtha's stance on Iraq has made him a hero among many grass-roots party activists, his positions against abortion and gun control have pushed many House liberals into Hoyer's camp, including the leader of the Out of Iraq Caucus, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.).
Hoyer's camp counts 21 of the roughly 40 incoming freshman Democrats as committed supporters. Many freshmen believe the Democrats should stick with the team that brought them to the majority, said John Sarbanes, who was elected last week to represent central Maryland in the House.
Hoyer also has the strong support of many of the party's conservative "Blue Dog" Democrats, who worry about Murtha's involvement in the Abscam bribery sting in 1980 and what they see as his freewheeling style on the House Appropriations Committee, where he has openly advocated for the interests of his district and his political supporters.
Some of Hoyer's supporters put the best face on Pelosi's intervention, saying Murtha would not have asked for a public letter of support if his campaign were not in trouble.
"I don't think it's significant," said Rep. Dennis Cardoza (D-Calif.), a leading Blue Dog and Hoyer supporter. "Everyone already knew she was supporting Murtha. I don't think this will have much of an impact. Steny's going to win this fight."
But Murtha has garnered the support of some influential Californians close to Pelosi, including Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), a liberal firebrand who will chair the House Education and the Workforce Committee.
In a statement, Hoyer said he remains confident he has the votes.
"Nancy told me some time ago that she would personally support Jack. I respect her decisions as the two are very close," he wrote. "I am grateful for the support I have from my colleagues, and have the majority of the caucus supporting me. I look forward to working with Speaker Pelosi as Majority Leader."
Another potentially fractious vote in the House Democratic Caucus was settled late last week when Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), the outgoing chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, decided against running for House majority whip. Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), the only African American in the House Democratic leadership, had already announced his candidacy.
Emanuel instead will stand unopposed for the job Clyburn will vacate, House Democratic Caucus chairman. In his announcement, he appealed for party unity ahead of Thursday's leadership elections.

The Democrats seem to have cleverly stood "conservative" candidates in some House and Senate seats to win over "conservative" voters who are not loyal to, or happy with, the Republicans.

My guess however is that over the next two years the "conservative" and "liberal" Democrats will be at each other's throats on a number of bills and issues. Or if not those two camps, then at least other groupings within the Democrats.

But I assumed this would unfold gradually sometime into 2007. However it seems to have already started. Will the Republicans be smiling again in 2008? :?:

I'm tickled to see the dissention Mistress Pelosi has already begun to sow in her own party.

Pelosi 'may' be making a mistake already .....

While I respect Mr Murtha's military record, I believe that Ms Pelosi has made a major blunder in who she is backing for Majority Leader, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the infighting amongst Democratic Congressmen.

Murtha has polarized Americans with his outspoken condemnation of anything and everyone having anything to do with Iraq and the Iraqi policies. Even tough I have some major concerns about the reasons for the invasion and the subsequent 'stay the course' non-policy, to agitate for immediate withdrawal of our troops is idiotic, stupid, not well thought out, not in our best interest ... take your pick.

That doesn't mean I don't want our troops brought home as soon as possible - it just means we are now in a position before the rest of the world, where we can NOT pull another Vietnam by cutting and running, before the Iraqi government can fend for itself.

Murtha is NOT the person I would choose to help heal some of the wounds an intransigent President, Secretary of Defense and a rubber-stamp House and Senate has caused throughout the United States, and in the halls of Congress.

It remains to be seen if the Democrats in the House take this into consideration when they place their votes for Majority Leader. Whichever way they go, Pelosi's selection of Murtha has already caused tempers to flare (myself and other friends, along with some of the House Democrats).

A different policy for Iraq is needed ... but ... I am not certain that this is a good start.

The voters spoke ... it remains to be seen whether anyone in Washington DC was REALLY listening.

I hope they were ... our fellow warriors in Iraq deserve a policy that stands a chance of succeeding ... our dead demand it.

I saw an interview with this woman where she admitted point blank that what she does has nothing to do with the "truth" but is simply "politics". She is dim and her actions represent those of a political animal NOT a sentient human being thinking of what is best for the country or who is the best person for what job. Again... a brilliant message for our enemies tuning in on CNN.

I saw an interview with this woman where she admitted point blank that what she does has nothing to do with the "truth" but is simply "politics". She is dim and her actions represent those of a political animal NOT a sentient human being thinking of what is best for the country or who is the best person for what job. Again... a brilliant message for our enemies tuning in on CNN.

I wonder how many times her decisions will be in her best financial interests? I don't think much of her positions on anything and feel that she is a danger to the democratic party not to mention the U.S. in general.

We have identified the Wicked Witch of the East, and now we may have a handle of who might be the nominee for the Wicked Witch of the West! ( I saw The Wizard of OZ again last night!)

Back