Peace in Northern Ireland - A forum.

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hi all,

I was invited by a friend of mine to join a forum called "Peace in Northern Ireland."

The objective of this forum is to create discussion and hopefully inspire peace, real peace in Northern Ireland. Despite the Good Friday Agreement, as far as I'm told by the person who operates "Peace in Northern Ireland.", there is still... unrest betwixt the people. It's a noble idea, and although I haven't explored the Forum much, but, still...

I'd like to share the link with you. [URL="http://www.peaceinni.freeforums.net"[/URL]

Feel free to check it out. Join if you like, explore.

Anyway, if this is viewed as 'promotion' by the Redleg, then I apologise and please feel free to remove the thread.

Cheers,

hawky.

That's true. But, hey, at least people are making an effort, trying, if still in vain. Did ya take a look?

Unfortunately not, its nearly 2am here and I'm not long in from duty. I gave up on N.I. 20 years ago after 2 years of scraping both sides body parts up! :(

Ah, roger. I've done a lot of research on the conflict, and Granddad served there. Bad times indeed...

I've been there several times in the 80s and it's really a rotten place. The hatred is so deeply rooted that it will take many generations before there will be something that looks like peace. My hope is that you young people will do what you can to stop the violence. Dialogue is a good way to go and someone must take the first step. Good idea with a forum, it's a start.

I have to agree with The Highway Man, there will never be peace in Northern Ireland, as he says the hatred goes back hundreds of years. Things might calm down for a while, but trouble is bubbling away under the surface and it doesn't take much for it to explode.

As said already, there will never ever be peace in N.I.

As long as there are unionists and nationalists, the hatred will always be there and "disagreements" will always break out.

The IRA will always be out there stirring things up and worse. I don't believe things will ever be as bad as they were in the 80's though.

I did a bit of time over there and it was truly horrific. Mrs F spent a long time there doing military intel, and she never talks about it so I imagine she saw terrible sights. :(

The majority of NI is a peaceful and beautiful place. Do not fall into the common misconception that the place is still in turmoil. It simply isn't. Belfast city centre is a city full of coffee shops, designer shops and top class restaurants.

The numbers involved in the “Dissident Republican Movement” are minimal when compared to the old days. They are a small number that can ruin the reputation of the entire province. Don't allow that to happen.

Do not be put off joining this forum, just because the cynic inside you says it will never work. Join and engage in chat. Communication is the key here.

The majority of NI is a peaceful and beautiful place. Do not fall into the common misconception that the place is still in turmoil. It simply isn't. Belfast city centre is a city full of coffee shops, designer shops and top class restaurants.

The numbers involved in the “Dissident Republican Movement” are minimal when compared to the old days. They are a small number that can ruin the reputation of the entire province. Don't allow that to happen.

Do not be put off joining this forum, just because the cynic inside you says it will never work. Join and engage in chat. Communication is the key here.

True.

However constant reminders such as this weeks nightly riots, the Massereene Barracks murders, the car bombing of a catholic police recruit and the police officer shot dead by a sniper - all off the top of my head and have happened in the past 3 years.

I am in total agreement with CF here.
Incidents are happening every day, the government are stopping it getting into the news.
And the press have other things on there agenda.
It has not gone away.

As someone from NI, I agree to some extent. However cynical or not, this forum could really benefit from more members. The Admin is a personal friend of mine, and I know your membership would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Forgive me, but I don't think I'd get much of a welcome as I am former member of the "occupying forces"

The forum is all about moving past that. The moderators deal with personal attacks towards formerly-occupying Security Forces, they take them very seriously.

Come join, you might be surprised.

Last edited:
Back