Patriotism and perverted patriotism

Spyfly

I am wondering where is the line between just patriotism and perverted patriotism. what is the point of patriotism today?

Suporting your people,your nation,not too much like "we are the best"that is perverted patriotism,so keep it cool :rambo:

it is a fine line between patriotism and nationalism. I think nationalism is a better term that would suit your question better than "perverted patriotism" :)

Marksman said:
Suporting your people,your nation,not too much like "we are the best"that is perverted patriotism,so keep it cool :rambo:

So, you want citizens of their own country not to believe they are the best? If they don't believe they are the best, they'll move to whatever country they assume is the best - and then we are back and square one.

I think maybe it's more like, the citizens of our country believe they are better than other people.

Here are my definitions of the two.

Patriotism- i have faith in my country for its one of the greatest.

Perverted Patriotism- i have faith in my country and it could, should and
would take over the world because we are better than you.

Well which countries do you consider to be worser than yours than? I dont think that we should consider our country best or better... this is how racism begins. You start thinking that your race is better than the countries that is next to you. This way you consider yourself better than others...and i think that nationalism is a close word but i wouldnt replace it....in a few countries nationaism is mistaken for natzis. and there is the difference.

well

this is how racism begins

Well, obvcourse this is untrue. Racisem refers to race, and you are talking about countrys, hence(even though you say it's not) this is NATIONALISEM. The Nazis were nationalists, but they were also racists and facists, these things are somewhat related but not the same. I know many nationalists that I do not see as racists. Now, I dont see why it's bad to think your country is a good place to live, or even think that it is the best place, as long as you realise that this is only true for you, and that you should never impose these opinions on other people.

Darkmb101 said:
Here are my definitions of the two.

Patriotism- i have faith in my country for its one of the greatest.

Perverted Patriotism- i have faith in my country and it could, should and
would take over the world because we are better than you.

yeah i think you are right.

ooops...i guess i did something wrong to go off topic on that one....my mistake. America is a very specific continent after all it s a mix of every country in the world...and my point with racism wasnt directed to the americans....or australians :) In europe, africa and asia countries usually have only one race, sorry if im wrong here. I personally belive that usa is the most powerfull country in the world and perhaps bacuase of that also the best country....so i will never be able to think that my country is better than usa...yeah ok there are few better things about it but those are so minor that it is even hard to compare. i think that americans are strong patriotists because theyre country is the best and they are aware of it. but sometimes when i see a car with all those us flag stickers, or god bless america, or all those flags when you go down the us road. I have never seen anything like this in other countries...i think that americans shouldnt show their pride so much.....after all pride is a sin.

Spyfly said:
I have never seen anything like this in other countries...i think that americans shouldnt show their pride so much.....after all pride is a sin.

Ever been to Denmark? Mexico? Canada? Those are the only countries I have any personal experience with besides my own and Italy (where the "patriotism" is directed more at soccer clubs than nationality, right, ItalianGuy? ;) ), but in all three there are national flags everywhere you go (especially Denmark, holy cow, if you think that flags are too present in the States, you'd die in the big DK). I believe that my own country's patriotism is viewed as being greater than that of every other country because we are the focus of so much international attention, if Canada were studied and criticized as closely as we are, I have no doubt that the same conclusions would be drawn about their patriotism.

About pride being a sin, it is, but a different definition of "pride" is one of the seven deadlies, NOT pride in one's country.

[n] unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins)

as opposed to:

[n] a feeling of self-respect and personal worth
[n] satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements; "he takes pride in his son's success"

Ever been to Denmark? Mexico? Canada? Those are the only countries I have any personal experience with besides my own and Italy (where the "patriotism" is directed more at soccer clubs than nationality, right, ItalianGuy?

Unquestionably true: Italians are nothing as patriotic as when it comes to soccer clubs. Things are changing now, but still there's a big difference. I've been to DK and Canada and will confirm that: flags everywhere.
My roommate the other day asked me how come it was that in evry american movie or tv show you see US flags everywhere.. " are they force to do it? Is it the law or what? ". No comment.

As for me, my view is that patriotism is when you love your country like you love your mother or father. I wouldn't say my mom is a better person than any other mother on earth, but I'll still love her over anyone else.

It's not off topic though: AlexKall wanted to remark how proud he is when he sees Volvo cars on American movies. :D Ain't that nationalism?

I fully agree to italianforus
patriotism is to love your country not to think that your country is better than any other....
thats how the things started here 60 years ago...
beside that i think you cant compare coutries that easy
a nation is too complex to say that one is better than the other..theyre just different

Spyfly, I still want to know what branch of the service you are in.
Anyway, you said
Well which countries do you consider to be worser than yours than? I dont think that we should consider our country best or better... this is how racism begins. You start thinking that your race is better than the countries that is next to you. This way you consider yourself better than others...and i think that nationalism is a close word but i wouldnt replace it....in a few countries nationaism is mistaken for natzis. and there is the difference.

Assuming "worser" means not as good as. I think my country is the best place for me and my family to live.
You can consider your country inferior to any one you like. But my question is, "When do you plan to move to the country you consider best?" and when you do, will you then consider your country "less worser" than your old country? What does any of this have to do with racism anyway? I think you switched tracks there without giving a signal.
What countries consider nationalism the same as Natizism? Don't just throw out a statement with no facts to back it up. Name these countries, please.

Somehow this thread got split, and this reply was to the fractured part of the thread, just reposting it here.

Spyfly said:
You are very right with that we should think that our country is a good place to live....but i dont think that people should think that its the best country....by thinking that you are looking down on other coutries....country is just a piece of land just as any other....

I don't see how you can view your country like that. If you don't believe that your nation is the best place in the world to live and you have no love for it, what are you still doing there? Unless of course you are completely apathetic and just couldn't care less where you live.

but it is the people who make the laws and other stuff. so this is the part where a race comes in....by thinking that your country is better is just as same as thinking that your race is better. that makes you look down on the other races....and that is racism.

Wrong answer. Unless you have managed to miss it somehow, you know that RACE has nothing to do with nationality in most areas of the Western world. I have friends of Middle Eastern, Asian, African, East Indian, American Indian, and Latino descent (and I'm probably missing a couple there, too), with one thing in common, they are all American, and to the man they share my views on America, but I think you would be very hard pressed to drive home your point that any of us are racist.

As has been said before, every willing citizen of ANY country should believe that, for whatever reason, their own country is the best place in the world for them to live, and should be motivated to do what is right for that nation.

Back