Paton's River

bonnieblue716

I heard quite a few stories at a reunion of the 1258th Combat Engineer Battalion this weekend. One of the best ones Involved the infamous Rhyne River incident durning World War Two. I heard this story from two points of view, one was from a 18 year old on a patrol boat with a pair of binoculars, and I don't think the moderators will let me put that version. The other was classic too though. It was told from the point of view of a 17 year old Jew (he lied about his age to enlist) who was in charge of sending word up the line to hurry Paton's A** up or he was going to have to Pi** and swim at the same time! The weight of the artillery units was going to sink their pontoon bridge! I would have hated to be the person in charge of telling the General to hurry things along! Wonder what he said to that! lol

Reunion of the 1258th Combat Engineers

Hi, I noticed your post about a reunion dinner for the 1258th Combat Engineers Battalion and wanted to respond. My dad, who passed a way several years ago, was a member of the 1258th durring WWII. I am trying to learn more about his unit and their service and would like to speak to anyone that could help. He landed in France on january 8th, 1944 and went all the way to Germany. They fought in the Battle of the Bulge and at the Bridge at Remagan. He was a 19 year old Sargent at the time.

Thanks for your post and your service. Let me know if you have any ideas or contacts for me. Sincerely

Brune Levering

Back