Paterno injured in Penn State game at Wisconsin

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

CHRIS JENKINS

Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. - Penn State coach Joe Paterno was taken by cart to the locker room after one of his own players ran into his left leg in the second half of the Nittany Lions' 13-3 loss to No. 17 Wisconsin on Saturday.
A Penn State spokesman said Paterno had a knee injury and was flying back to State College, Pa., with a member of the school's medical staff ahead of the rest of the team. He is expected to be X-rayed on Saturday evening and could undergo an MRI on Sunday or Monday.
Freshman tight end Andrew Quarless caught a short pass for a first down along the Penn State sideline, and tumbled into Paterno's leg - knocking the 79-year-old coach to the ground. Paterno then stood for several minutes before having to be helped to the bench and having his leg bandaged by the Penn State training staff.
"He's a wily old rascal," said Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, who filled in for Paterno in the second half. "He's not going anywhere unless he has to. He's pretty tough."
Paterno remained on the bench, surrounded by trainers and police. Paterno remained seated for most of the third quarter, but he was carted to the locker room with less than 2 minutes remaining in the quarter.
"I told him he's not playing the low blocks like he used to," Bradley said.
Paterno also had to leave the sideline in Penn State's game at Ohio State in September after he became ill. He returned briefly at halftime, then left before coming back at the start of the fourth quarter.
"I've never walked off the field early," Paterno said after that game. "I've had some kind of a bug during the week. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to take pills or see a doctor. I thought I'd be fine."

Back