Pastors Plan to burn Koran endangers US troops

perseus

Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

_49006161_49006163.jpg
Protesters burned an effigy of Pastor Terry Jones

The top US commander in Afghanistan has warned that troops' lives will be in danger if an American church sticks to its plan to burn copies of the Koran.

Gen David Petraeus said the action could cause problems "not just in Kabul, but everywhere in the world".
Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center, plans to put copies of the holy book in a bonfire to mark this week's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. There have already been protests in Afghanistan and Indonesia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11209738

I think that the last significant book burning that I recall was a precursor to Kistallnacht.

Shame that these people can't remember their own tenets and commandments, but then Christianity always was about love thy neighbour, coveting his possessions and siezing what is yours by right and might - well done "Dove" World Outreach for yet another example of us being regarded as Crusaders.

Still on the bright side, they are exercising their right to free speech, even if it is by disrespecting another religion.

US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

_49019120_se3iwe55.gif
Terry Jones said he had prayed over the matter but insisted the Koran-burning would go ahead
A small US church says it will defy international condemnation and go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Koran on the 9/11 anniversary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11223457

16 people died in riots in Afghanistan and Pakistan after newsweek wrote that a jailer in Guantanamo threw a Koran into the toilet - which wasn't even true. Yep, just has to be a good idea to burn them by the dozen.
That Terry Jones guy is the best recruiter for the Taliban for years to come..

Sorry but this is completely hebetude! What kind of mentality can protest 9/11 by burning a Koran? What an ignorance is this! US killed many civilians in Iraq but noone burned Bible there. Oh come on.

This shows us that some Christians are really worried about Islam and the high rates of people choosing Islam in US.

Why dont we leave God to fight for himslef, afterall only the Lord knows those who are serving him. Burning the Quaran is not a welcome development, think of peace, our God is a God of peace.

It will be interesting if the Imams have as much luck convincing Islamic countries that these fundamentalist christians don't represent all christians, as Americans have been at convincing themselves that fundamentalist Moslems don't represent all moslems.

Why is the "preacher" burning the Quaran? Is it because he doesn't believe in it or has something against Muslims? Will he also burn gays, lesbians, Jews, Mexicans, and African Americans, because he doesn't like them. What will he do when they start burning the Bible?

This is really dum....

My God is a God of acceptance, not prejudice, does he realize that the war in the middle east is not a war of religion for the Coalition? And that he is placing American lives in MORE danger, danger that they do not need.

Come on Father, but really?

Last edited:
This guy is looking for attention, nothing more. It is a shame that the media has decided to give it to him.

Heard that he is convinced that the Mosque in NY will not be built and he will stand down from the burnings.

But the Imam in NY says otherwise...

Ignorant religious zealot... So annoying.

Muslim died in the 9/11 attacks. And I'm talking about the victims in the planes and buildings...
They have every right to have a commemoration among the victims and even a mosque if we have to.

Muslim are doing a good job staying out of terrorism. Terrorists are a very small minority and even if they have extraordinary good reasons to fall for the terrorist doctrine, they prove day after day that they will take the path of peace rather than blind violence and chaos...

The Muslim know for sure that these guys dont represent the majority of the Western world... But it takes a small active minority to cause a lot of damage.

Israel is a small country, and look at all the problems they are causing thanks to the support of the evangelists in the US.

The US is a ruling minority too. 300million people ruling the world...

The Christian right in the US are just as much as fault as extremist Islamic groups for creating disharmony in the Middle East. It is they, even more than Jewish groups which support the right of Israelis to act as they do.

Last edited:
Heard that he is convinced that the Mosque in NY will not be built and he will stand down from the burnings.

But the Imam in NY says otherwise...

Indeed

On Thursday, Mr Jones told reporters he had spent days waiting for a sign from God to cancel the protest, and that the sign had come in the form of a deal with a local imam to relocate a controversial Islamic cultural centre due to be built near Ground Zero in New York. As a result, he said, he was dropping the planned protest and urged his supporters to do the same.

However, those behind the cultural centre denied that they ever spoken to the local imam or Mr Jones. Mr Jones then said Imam Muhammad Musri had "clearly, clearly lied to us"."Given what we are now hearing, we are forced to rethink our decision," Mr Jones said. "So as of right now, we are not cancelling the event, but we are suspending it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11256182

Although I don't agree with the burning of the Koran, I think that building a Mosque on the site where Muslim militants killed some 5.000 Americans in the name of Islam is also questionable, it is almost as it praising this act of terrorism. Still what do I know I not an American

i am so glad to see such enlighted and wonderful people like you guys. god bless you. they shouldn't burn the holy Quran, because the ones who did 9/11 are not even Muslims. they are considered infidels because they killed innocent people.and there were Muslims among killed people. there is a verse in Quran says "those who kill innocent people, as if they kill all human beings".and during our prophet Mohammed's life, there had been wars with others. but before going to war he orders his followers not to hurt women nor elders nor children. and order them not to cut even a tree.

Last edited:
Koran-burning protests sweep Afghanistan

_49051178_010118976-2.jpg

Protests have been building all week in Afghanistan over the US church's plan

Thousands of protesters have held anti-American rallies in provinces across Afghanistan over plans by a US church to burn copies of the Koran.

Demonstrators burned a US flag and chanted "Death to Christians".

Three people were shot and wounded when private security guards opened fire on stone throwers outside a Nato base in Badakhshan province, police said.

President Hamid Karzai said the Florida church's plan - now on hold - had been an insult Islam's followers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11258739

Back