--
Boots

October 22nd, 2005  
mmarsh

phoenix80

You gotta be kidding again!

Iran has OIL for the next 105 years. you missed a big zero there.[/quote

Hmm...

I checked a couple of different sources, one source said 9 decades another said with 27 years and another said around 20. The only thread these figures seem to agree upon is that Irans oil is largely undiscovered so that nobody seems to know for sure...
October 23rd, 2005  
LeEnfield

France had some big deals in the bag with Saddam, but when the Allies went into Iraq and they lost billions. This is this reason that they voted against every thing to do with Iraq in the UN, so Iran I would think is playing on this.
October 23rd, 2005  
Pierrot

oh shall we really begin a discussion on this topic? Of course France sold weapons to Saddam, but the US and UK too. Saddam was considered as an ally when Irak was fighting against Iran, and the US supported them...
So you can criticize France, but start with your own country.
--
Boots
October 23rd, 2005  
Rabs

No hes referring to pre- golf war 2. When france was pocketing millions off secret exploits of the oil for food program.
October 23rd, 2005  
mmarsh

News Update...

On Friday, the FBI just arrested a Texas oilman who is also accused of selling Saddam's oil through the UN oil for food progra, same as the French, British, Russians and God knows who else. So it looks like certain Americans were just as guilty as certain French.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False
October 23rd, 2005  
Ted

Lol, this is getting better by the post. There is almost nobody with dirty little fingers when it comes to Saddam. He was most convinient in the elder days, well hell almost everbody sold their hardware to him.

As we say in Holland: The Kettle is accusing the teapot! We all made mistakes in the past and are trying to correct these in our own funny ways!
October 24th, 2005  
Rabs

yes but not the American government.
October 24th, 2005  
Ted

I'm sorry Rabs, but the US government has been and still is a major player in the region. Just a little bit of info about that:

Quote:
In March 1981, the Iraqi Communist Party, repressed by Saddam Hussein, beamed broadcasts from the Soviet Union calling for an end to the war and the withdrawal of Iraqi troops.<31> That same month U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that he saw the possibility of improved ties with Baghdad and approvingly noted that Iraq was concerned by "the behavior of Soviet imperialism in the Middle Eastern area." The U.S. then approved the sale to Iraq of five Boeing jetliners, and sent a deputy assistant secretary of state to Baghdad for talks.<32> The U.S. removed Iraq from its notoriously selective list of nations supporting international terrorism<33> (despite the fact that terrorist Abu Nidal was based in the country)<34> and Washington extended a $400 million credit guarantee for U.S. exports to Iraq.<35> In November 1984, the U.S. and Iraq restored diplomatic relations, which had been ruptured in 1967.<36>
Off course if this is not convincing, you might want to read more on the following link:

http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/ShalomIranIraq.html

Their are many more links to this subject, so I dare say: Also the US government has it's little fingers in the frying pan.
October 24th, 2005  
mmarsh

Rabs

The only person that was a member of the French government accused was Charles Pasqua, the Interior Minister from 1993-1995. The oil for Food Program was started in 1996. So he was out of government when this all happened. There were French individuals involved, and they are on trial as we speak in Paris.

As for Galloway, well given the Bush Administrations history of vindictiveness toward anybody who disagreed with it (particularly about Iraq) it makes the Galloway accusation suspicous at best. The fact that Galloway was the leading thorn in Blairs political backside is too much of a coincidence. George Galloways politics were alittle too left for me, but I must admit the tongue lashing that he gave the Neocons in Washington was probably one of most hilarious moments in Congress. I remember Sen.Coleman expression after the hearing, he looked stunned...

I would also like to point out that since the publishing of the Pasqua+Galloway Report that has been no evidence, no indictment, no anything against either of these two. As a matter of fact the whole subject has gone away by itself. Funny coincidence isnt it?

The US Government had no case. It was another smear campaign that happened to backfire.
October 24th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield 2
France had some big deals in the bag with Saddam, but when the Allies went into Iraq and they lost billions. This is this reason that they voted against every thing to do with Iraq in the UN, so Iran I would think is playing on this.
Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
As for Galloway, well given the Bush Administrations history of vindictiveness toward anybody who disagreed with it (particularly about Iraq) it makes the Galloway accusation suspicous at best. The fact that Galloway was the leading thorn in Blairs political backside is too much of a coincidence. George Galloways politics were alittle too left for me, but I must admit the tongue lashing that he gave the Neocons in Washington was probably one of most hilarious moments in Congress. I remember Sen.Coleman expression after the hearing, he looked stunned...
Oh, i'm sure you found it hysterical.

Anyways, we all know about the US helping Iraq during the 80's. Everybody knows that.

But I thought- and correct me if im wrong now, that France and the like sold weapons and cut deals after the first gulf war.