Paris ready to cooperate with Iran in nuclear power

phoenix80

You gotta be kidding again!

Iran has OIL for the next 105 years. you missed a big zero there.[/quote

Hmm...

I checked a couple of different sources, one source said 9 decades another said with 27 years and another said around 20. The only thread these figures seem to agree upon is that Irans oil is largely undiscovered so that nobody seems to know for sure...

France had some big deals in the bag with Saddam, but when the Allies went into Iraq and they lost billions. This is this reason that they voted against every thing to do with Iraq in the UN, so Iran I would think is playing on this.

oh shall we really begin a discussion on this topic? Of course France sold weapons to Saddam, but the US and UK too. Saddam was considered as an ally when Irak was fighting against Iran, and the US supported them...
So you can criticize France, but start with your own country.

No hes referring to pre- golf war 2. When france was pocketing millions off secret exploits of the oil for food program.

Lol, this is getting better by the post. There is almost nobody with dirty little fingers when it comes to Saddam. He was most convinient in the elder days, well hell almost everbody sold their hardware to him.

As we say in Holland: The Kettle is accusing the teapot! We all made mistakes in the past and are trying to correct these in our own funny ways!

I'm sorry Rabs, but the US government has been and still is a major player in the region. Just a little bit of info about that:

In March 1981, the Iraqi Communist Party, repressed by Saddam Hussein, beamed broadcasts from the Soviet Union calling for an end to the war and the withdrawal of Iraqi troops.<31> That same month U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that he saw the possibility of improved ties with Baghdad and approvingly noted that Iraq was concerned by "the behavior of Soviet imperialism in the Middle Eastern area." The U.S. then approved the sale to Iraq of five Boeing jetliners, and sent a deputy assistant secretary of state to Baghdad for talks.<32> The U.S. removed Iraq from its notoriously selective list of nations supporting international terrorism<33> (despite the fact that terrorist Abu Nidal was based in the country)<34> and Washington extended a $400 million credit guarantee for U.S. exports to Iraq.<35> In November 1984, the U.S. and Iraq restored diplomatic relations, which had been ruptured in 1967.<36>

Off course if this is not convincing, you might want to read more on the following link:

http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/ShalomIranIraq.html

Their are many more links to this subject, so I dare say: Also the US government has it's little fingers in the frying pan.

Rabs

The only person that was a member of the French government accused was Charles Pasqua, the Interior Minister from 1993-1995. The oil for Food Program was started in 1996. So he was out of government when this all happened. There were French individuals involved, and they are on trial as we speak in Paris.

As for Galloway, well given the Bush Administrations history of vindictiveness toward anybody who disagreed with it (particularly about Iraq) it makes the Galloway accusation suspicous at best. The fact that Galloway was the leading thorn in Blairs political backside is too much of a coincidence. George Galloways politics were alittle too left for me, but I must admit the tongue lashing that he gave the Neocons in Washington was probably one of most hilarious moments in Congress. I remember Sen.Coleman expression after the hearing, he looked stunned...

I would also like to point out that since the publishing of the Pasqua+Galloway Report that has been no evidence, no indictment, no anything against either of these two. As a matter of fact the whole subject has gone away by itself. Funny coincidence isnt it?

The US Government had no case. It was another smear campaign that happened to backfire.

LeEnfield 2 said:
France had some big deals in the bag with Saddam, but when the Allies went into Iraq and they lost billions. This is this reason that they voted against every thing to do with Iraq in the UN, so Iran I would think is playing on this.

Probably.

mmarsh said:
As for Galloway, well given the Bush Administrations history of vindictiveness toward anybody who disagreed with it (particularly about Iraq) it makes the Galloway accusation suspicous at best. The fact that Galloway was the leading thorn in Blairs political backside is too much of a coincidence. George Galloways politics were alittle too left for me, but I must admit the tongue lashing that he gave the Neocons in Washington was probably one of most hilarious moments in Congress. I remember Sen.Coleman expression after the hearing, he looked stunned...

Oh, i'm sure you found it hysterical.

Anyways, we all know about the US helping Iraq during the 80's. Everybody knows that.

But I thought- and correct me if im wrong now, that France and the like sold weapons and cut deals after the first gulf war.

I don't know about that. I do know that quite many deliveries were intercepted in the Rotterdam harbour. But what do you do when a private enterprise deals with the devil? Because there were more than just a few companies caught dealing to Saddam.
I am not sure whether you could count that as some government or not?

SADDAM BRIBED THE FRENCH TO GO AGAINST THE WAR.

For the French it was all about money. Alll the crap they were feeding the public about about any kind of morality about staying out of the war is bogus, the French supported Saddam because of the money involved. France was in Saddams pocket.

Memos from Iraqi intelligence officials, recovered by American and British inspectors, show the dictator was told as early as May 2002 that France - having been granted oil contracts - would veto any American plans for war.
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1167592004

http://www.acepilots.com/unscam/archives/001347.html

A French legislator even told an Iraqi intelligence official that Paris would veto any U.N. resolution authorizing war against Iraq. In fact, France threatened to do just that. But for what, exactly? Iraq's deputy prime minister, Tariq Aziz, told Duelfer that "French oil companies wanted to secure two large oil contracts."
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/mort/zuckerman102704.asp
While Saddam had abandoned his biological weapons programs, he retained the scientists and other technicians "needed to restart a potential biological weapons program," and he "intended to reconstitute long-range delivery systems [that is, missiles] and . . . the systems potentially were for WMD." These conclusions were based on interviews with Saddam Hussein, his closest advisers, and his weapons scientists, along with the kind of industrial equipment the Iraqi government imported and maintained.

Not only that, but Chirac is a presonal friend of Saddam.

http://www.lexnotes.com/misc/jacques_iraq.htm

Rabs said:
Well no actually, The muslims can kill all hte jews and only loose a hundred million muslims. That would be worth it to them. Crazy TERRIOST regimes like Iran should not have nuclear weapons. Responsible countrys like USA, France, Britian, dare i say China can have nukes because there for defensive purposes.

:p :p :p :p :p :p
Rabs mate thats got to be the best bit of fiction i have read in a long time I'm still laughing. Especially the bit about responsible countries, your top 3 read like the whos who of I'm gonna start a war tomorrow what country am I? (well france maybe not, but they do like blowing up nukes on little islands that don't fight back)
The only line you used that made sense and was credible was about muslims can kill all the jews and only lose a hundred million muslims.
your correct in saying that it wouldn't bother them because they see it as an early entry into eternal paradise with allah. But as for the rest grow up man responsible democratic countries do not TELL other countries what they can and cant do why? Because thats called DICTATORSHIP :twisted:

Pierrot is right

Nobody denies that France had dealings with Saddam. Certainly before the 1991 Gulf War and possibly after it as well, although that has yet to be proven.

The issue is before certain self-righteous Americans can get on their high horse and lecture the French about what they did in Iraq they should look in their own closet and see what skeletons are still there. For example the chemicals that Saddam used against the Kurds and Iranians in the 1980's were bought from the Dow Chemical Company in the USA, a deal that was Oked by none other than our beloved Rummy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,866942,00.html

There is blame to go around...

At least the USA cares about democracy in the region, and is willing to see that it happens, even with the risk of its own soldiers.

For France, ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

man...this is messed up. Why cant people live along?

Problem is, its worrying everyone. France and Iran, dont sound good..thats what people think..And sensing war and all. Allegiances and alliances. Siding against each other..And look at the UN.. bloody bizness really

The issue is before certain self-righteous Americans can get on their high horse and lecture the French about what they did in Iraq they should look in their own closet and see what skeletons are still there. For example the chemicals that Saddam used against the Kurds and Iranians in the 1980's were bought from the Dow Chemical Company in the USA, a deal that was Oked by none other than our beloved Rummy

LoL
It makes me laugh as an Iranian who remembers the days of war clearly.

Any way, where were you FRENCH when Americans sold the Iraqis those bad bad things?

And why were you selling Iraqis the best and most sophasticated stuff such as Mirage planes, Exocet missiles, Super etendard jets and other stuff?

No body is buying this BS any more!

And let me tell you some thing:
Germans and Dutch are also as guilty as you french are.

At least Americans sold us what we needed too in 1980s.

Christ Almighty, has everybody started to point at the others? Do many of you think that there is one major country who hasn't done any "shady business" overthere?
Yes a lot of European countries have sold toys to the Irians and Iraqies, because business is business. In free enterprise everything is allowed, sounds like American business-ethos to me.

But before we start calling eachother names like Saddam-lovers, why is that that most countries in the region have shot at the Americans with their own equipment? The Afghans recieved "aid", so did the Iranians during the Shah's reign and Saddam when fighting the Ayatollahs. This wasn't done in the name of democracy or altruism.

I have read the word "high- horse" in this thread and I do see a curious mix of moral right-do-er and pragmatic realist playing the cards of international instability. I (and probably some other Europeans as well) do not deny our dirty fingers in the name of monetary gains, but please don't state that the Amercans are free of such detestable principles. That would show a considerable gap in the knowledge of modern history!

And finally: what does this mean?

Any way, where were you FRENCH when Americans sold the Iraqis those bad bad things?

Were they supposed to invade the US because of this, or actively intervene in the region with a military presence or start economic embargo's against the US?

Back