Parents monitoring teenagers drving via a black box

Should parents monitor teenage driving habits via a black box?

• Yes (<18 )

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No (<18 )

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • not sure (<18 )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (18+)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No (18+)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • not sure (18+)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

I remember a story on this a few months ago. I guess there is back box designed for cars. The device can monitor speeds and distances. The more advanced ones have a GPS. Some people want one in all cars to use in the event of accidents. Parents think of it as a good way to keep tabs on their teenager's driving habits. Read more below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/09/14/wbox14.xml&

Anyways, how do people feel about this. Should parents moritor teenage driving habits via a black box? This poll is divided into 2 age groups; 17 and under and 18 and older. Please vote according to your age group.

Parents need to be PARENTS.

In this age of drugs, booze, sex and Aids parents need to start acting like PARENTS. If there is a tool that makes this job just a little bit easier that does not hinder the childrens ability to still carry out responsible pursuits - why not?

Parents would be able to make spotchecks to assure themselves that their children are not up to mischief without having to embarass the children just by downloading a "dump" from the little black box.

Children would know that their parents really care what is happening in their children's lives.

I suppose that there WILL be those that will oppose this technology because they will view it as an invasion of privacy.

I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE.

Far too many people have lost site of one basic FACT of life. Children are children NOT adults. As such, it is a parents' responsibility to raise their children and to protect them to the best of their abilities until such time as the child becomes an adult and leaves the nest.

Sure, why not? If technology allows such a thing, then lets give parents all the tools that can help them in doing a difficult job. To those who say it's an invasion of privacy, I say that right comes when you are an adult, until then you are the responsibility of your parents.

My parents don't need it. They can tell somehow I've done something wrong just by looking at me or by being in the same room as me. It really freaks me out

a lot of teens are opposed to this because it "invades privacy". the fact is, if you're under 18, tough luck. you're lucky your parents want to make sure you're okay. and honestly, the parents investing in it probably know it's necessary. so, dont put your parents in a position to need one, and if you do, you'll figure out the positive impact in a few years. i'm 23 now, and i can fully admit my parents knew what was right. i also understand the phrase, "it's your friends i don't trust, not you".

In Germany you aren't allowed to drive a car when you are under 18 and I think thats good. Over 18 I think, that parents should not control their children like that, because if they are well educated they should be able to trust them.

i don't know about Europe but here in the U.S. Teenagers actually don't have a "right to privacy" per-se. While they are indeed part of the citezenry by birth, they are wards of their parents or the state until they are 18YO. At that time they receive full constitutional rights. While it amuses me that teenagers constantly soapbox and grandstand about their imagined "rights" and their adult contemporaries encourage and often support their claims, I often grow bored of it and wish they would all shut the **** up. Pardon my language, but that's how I feel about it.

I think it is a great idea!

System Bolaget said:
i don't know about Europe but here in the U.S. Teenagers actually don't have a "right to privacy" per-se. While they are indeed part of the citezenry by birth, they are wards of their parents or the state until they are 18YO. At that time they receive full constitutional rights. While it amuses me that teenagers constantly soapbox and grandstand about their imagined "rights" and their adult contemporaries encourage and often support their claims, I often grow bored of it and wish they would all shut the **** up. Pardon my language, but that's how I feel about it.

This is changing rapidly in the US, unfortunately kids are starting to get more and more rights and it is taking away from the parents ability to govern their child's actions.

When the child is able to buy and run his own car then the problem should be theres but when the parents are paying for every thing then they must be responsible for their child's actions.

If the teen isn't doing something wrong, why should they care if their parents know where they are? If my parents put one of those in our car I would just laugh. I know that it wouldn't make a difference in what I do, and for that reason I know that they would never pay money to track my every move. Actually, I'd probably be glad for some sort of tracking device in the car, that way if I go off the road at night (God forbid) they'll be able to find my friends and I that much sooner.

I voted that no, but theres a few exceptions to that. If your parents payed for your car, then they should be able to put it in there if they want, but if the kid payed for it himself (like i did, its a piece of shit car, but its my piece of shit) then they shouldnt be able to

My house, my car, my kids--whether it's a black box or the backseat, you better bet I'm monitoring when, where, and how they drive.

Parenting isn't a right; it's a responsibility.

Back