Parents who beat their children

Insomniac

~resident nutcase
As in, the sort of parent that will just have a go over nothing/very little and give out black eyes etc to the girls.

What would you guys do to a parent you met who did this?

Here in America, they are still "innocent until proven guilty".

Of course, once they are proven guilty....Well, I have things I could suggest.

Small cell with a large man named tiny.....Something involving a fire ant hill and honey in the sun.....rope...toes....balls....etc etc.

Unless you catch them in the act, then I really believe that its finders choice there.
In which case I believe a jar of honey and a fire ant mound is in order.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... If you want others to give you black eyes and such, well, I'd be happy to.

If they do it over nothing - the parent is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

If they do it because the kid was doing something extremely dangerous or evil, good job.

I don't see why we let child abusers go to prison, and then let them out later.

I think first offense where one is founded guilty they should be taken straight outside the courthouse and shot in the head. Short, painless, and getting rid of the trash.

personally i think that when they're found guilty it should be a short, sharp beating. IE, a few broken ribs, a broken nose/jaw, broken feet & hands...

Then for each successive (sp?) offense, the beating get's worse... show them what it's like.

If they do it over nothing - the parent is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

If they do it because the kid was doing something extremely dangerous or evil, good job.

Big difference between punishment and beating

Punishment = spanking your child for doing wrong
beating = knocking the dog crap out of a child for no reason other than the fact their around.

"Punishment" is limited to the damaging of a kids pride, once there is physical damage, bruising or broken skin, it becomes "assault".

I had plenty of beltings with the doubled up ironing cord, (Mum's weapon of choice) it left welts that stood up for days. I have not been mentally scarred nor physically damaged. (I needed it, as i could be a proper little sh!t at times)

My kids wouldn't have been slapped across the legs more than two or three times between the two of them, but it had the desired effect when it was needed. It was given immediately and it was hard enough that they'd remember it for a long time, end of story. They are both pretty much model citizens.

I got hit with everything from a wooden spoon to a switch made from a tree limb. I was never considered "abused" in my day there was no such thing as "abuse" in Arkansas it was called "Discipline" However I have NEVER, nor will I EVER use an object to discipline ANY child, My two are 10 and 14, and trust me theres worse things for a 14 year old than a beating :), and for my 10 year old who likes to play with dead things, I can easily make his day with The removal of the PS controller for a week.

Last edited:
I got hit with everything from a wooden spoon to a switch made from a tree limb. I was never considered "abused" in my day there was no such thing as "abuse" in Arkansas it was called "Discipline" However I have NEVER, nor will I EVER use an object to discipline ANY child, My two ate 10 and 14, and trust me theres worse things for a 14 year old than a beating :), and for my 10 year old who likes to play with dead things, I can easily make his day with eth removal of the PS controller for a week.
Nothing works like the palm of your hand.

Nothing works like the palm of your hand.
Depends if the child needs that kind of punishment.

From your posts it sounds like you are pretty quick to spank/hit children.

Experimenting with different punishments to see if spanking can be avoided doesn't hurt.

Personally, time outs work wonderfully for me. I have only had to smack the kids I sit for a few times, over a period of 5 years. (Once on the hand to one of them, and I've smacked a butt or two, but never a full out "spanking" as in more than one smack).

Then again, I don't believe I should be "spanking" someone else's children - even with their permission and the children I sit for know that. But they also know that even though I don't consider it my place I WILL be respected and listened to. The smacks they did get on their butts was a warning. If they didn't stop the action they were doing they would get a spanking.

Children like to know where they stand in society exactly the same way as adults. For some a warning is not enough and in these cases a parent must always be prepared to step up to the next level.

Boundaries of acceptable behaviour must be very clearly defined, and should a child exceed the boundaries they must be made aware of it in a manner that will prevent them from wanting to escalate their bad behaviour to the point where the behaviour is worthy of more severe forms of punishment.

This business of parents making a blanket rule that they will not use physical punishment,... period, is an open invitation to those who would push the envelope to "go for it". In my eyes it is responsible for some of the poor examples we see being set by those who are in the public eye.

I'll bet Paris Hilton never had clearly defined behavioural standards enforced by her parents.

Back