Parental Advisory...

cullion

I didn't find this topic on a search, so...

My parents are trying everything they can to not let me join any Armed Service, even after they see how much I enjoy being in ROTC and whatnot. They claim I'm not "mature enough." Which is true, at home. At home I go crazy. That way I reserve my straightness for ROTC and whatnot. They don't realize this but that's not really the question..

Are there any books or any facts that you know of that could quite possibly persuade them into allowing me to join the armed services?

Thanks in advance.

well i just joined the Marines at the age or 21. one of the stats that were given to me by my recruiter is this:

of the US population less than one percent enlist in the Marine Corps...
of the fortune 500 companies 38% of them were owned or headed by a ceo that served in The Corps.

try that it might help. you may want to call a recruiter of the branch you are considering and letting them know about your situation

Well, see, I've been convicted to joining the army since I was 12. I've lived and breathed everything I could of it since then. And with every year they less and less want me to join. Like, this year with the release of Fahrenheit 911, they are deadset to not let me join ever. And I know I still have a few years to convince them, but god knows what will happen in Iraq by then that they'll lock me in my room until I die just so I don't join. I was just wondering if there was anything they could read up on or whatever that would help them stop constantly telling me "You're not joining the service, enjoy ROTC while you hav it."

(By the way, that fact about fortune 500 companies will probably help.)

I think they are bein unrealistic. You are passionate about this and they will eventually come around. Right now yes they will say anythin to shy you away from it. Right now there is a lot goin on and the first thing parents see is their kid dyin, facce it, that is how the military is portrayed right now. Give them some time, once you are of age they will not be able to say anything and they may even have come around because of your honor and committment to doin this thing.

drilldownmaster2004 said:
They cannot stop you in 4 years so just wait

Precisely. When you're 18, you can join whether they like it or not. But be careful. You don't want to sever ties with your family. I've seen it happen.

silent driller said:
drilldownmaster2004 said:
They cannot stop you in 4 years so just wait

Precisely. When you're 18, you can join whether they like it or not. But be careful. You don't want to sever ties with your family. I've seen it happen.

Even if that happens it will eventually go away

Buddy, I reckon your thinking too much about this too early in your life. Right now you shouldn't worry about these kind of things. You'll find that as life goes on you'll find the right time to bring it up, but now is not the time.

It's good to have a dream, but hey.

yeah, learn to drive, drink (note: do these separately!!) and how to party (dancing goes down very well with the ladies;))
but yeah, once ur 18, ur legally an adult and there is nothing they can do to stop you

If you are really worried about what your parents think and you really want to convince them, then I think they did a good job raising you. When you turn 18, I think you will have what it takes to make the right decision for yourself and pursue your dreams.

Back