Para millitary groups

Army JROTC. You could really try and stretch it to include the ACA, American Cadet Corps, but no part of the ACA is funded by that certian branch of the military.

I don't see how a Cadet Organization is a para-military group, although in sea cadets we have trainings that are completely combat oriented.

Sea_Cadet said:
I don't see how a Cadet Organization is a para-military group, although in sea cadets we have trainings that are completely combat oriented.

Yes my friend learning knots is combat training and as for the rest of us m-16 SAMT firing ranges dont count for nothing. Sea Cadets dfo cool stuff, but just remember when we do the Airshows YOU guard the airplane and CAP marshall them

Over here we have:

ATC (Air Training Corps) - the only one you need to know 8)

ACF (Army Cadet Force)

SCC (Sea Cadet Corps)

and

CCF (Combined Cadet Force) - this is a program with all three sections, army airforce and navy, usually found at boarding schools, or places where there isnt enough interest for a unique force / corps to start up.

Canada has:

Royal Canadian Air Cadets (RCAirC);
Royal Canadian Army Cadets (RCAC); and
Royal Canadian Sea Cadets (RCSC)

When used as it is for the term, Paramilitary, para is a prefix that means similar to or resembling. Or in this case, "Resembling the Military"

Parachute, comes from the latin cadere or, "To fall" corrupted into the French chute. Parachute and literally means, "Resembling fall" in English.

No other units in the Forces use the words Para in there title, so why use it in a junior units that are not Para. It is rather like the Medics using the word para in front of their title. It was the airborne that pioneered this sort of thing as being many miles behind enemy lines and often having lost your Doctor and the wounded could not be evacuated, it was the Medics that did the operations to save the men and during WW2 got the Extra training that took them to the next level. The next thing we find is that the civiy medics have grabbed the title as theirs.

Papa-military in the states is considered half military, or like military. It has no relationship to parachute, or pararescue, or paratrooper

Are you serious? Because at this point I'm having trouble telling. Did you even read what I said on the matter?

Because from what I can tell you haven't yet managed to grasp the usage of the prefix para as it's being used in this thread. Parachute and Paramilitary are both amalgamations of two different words to form a single word with a new meaning. In the case of Parachute it means, "Similar to a fall", in the case of Paramilitary it means, "Similar to the military". The word Paramedic means that they're similar to a medic (referring to a physician or a doctor) but with a lower level of training.

As for the origin of the word Paratrooper, it's simple. You take parachute, troop or trooper, and blend them. Since Parachutetrooper is too long and Chutetrooper sounds ridiculous, the word Paratroop sprung into being.

Para has been around a lot longer than the Airborne, and it's not going to be shelved just because it's been attached to that one particular word.

Back