Palin's prima donna demands

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
So this is what happens when the down home folksy type becomes a celebrity?

I admit that I don't like this woman so the report does make me smile but do her supporters see it as a good or a bad thing or even relevant?

My opinion is that it is an indication of what she would actually be like with some power.

Palin's prima donna demands

4:00 AM Sunday Apr 18, 2010
Sarah Palin has been revealed to be somewhat fussy. Photo / AP
If you want to keep Sarah Palin in the style to which she's become accustomed, her private jet "MUST BE a Lear 60 or larger", she'll need a whole fleet of SUVs to ferry her around town, and at least three luxury hotel rooms will be required to accommodate all those suitcases full of designer clobber.

The former governor of Alaska will also want a supply of bottled water with "bendable" straws, a security detail to prevent the great unwashed bothering her for autographs, and a cast-iron guarantee that she won't get asked any complicated questions that haven't been shown to her in advance.

Once you've gone to those lengths, and found tens of thousands of dollars to cover her considerable speaking fee, you may then, if you are really unlucky, find that your role in organising Palin's appearance becomes the subject of a criminal investigation.

California's attorney general this week announced an inquiry into one of the state's public universities, amid allegations that its staff attempted to illegally destroy documents related to a US$500-a-head fundraising dinner at which Palin was scheduled to appear.

California State University, Stanislaus, is accused of covering up the circumstances under which the former Republican vice-presidential candidate agreed to travel from Alaska to headline its 50th anniversary celebration at the end of June.

Last month Leland Yee, a Democratic senator from San Francisco, used public disclosure laws to demand that the government-funded college publish documents revealing what Palin will be paid for the gig. Her usual fee is believed to be some US$100,000 ($140,000).

The university refused his request. Then, just as an appeal against that decision was about to be heard, the relevant documents were discovered by a group of left-leaning students. They had allegedly been left in a pile of paperwork due for disposal. Some of the crucial documents were already shredded, possibly illegally. But Palin's five-page "contract addendum" was still in one piece. That document, written by her agents at the Washington Speakers Bureau, was unveiled by the students at a press conference earlier this week.

It provides a window into life on planet Palin, revealing, among other things, that the intellectually wobbly Republican refuses to take unscripted questions. "For Q&A, the questions are to be collected from in advance [and] pre-screened. A designated representative ... shall ask questions directly of the Speaker."

She also requires at least two bottles of mineral water on stage with her, and "bendable straws placed near the wooden lectern". Autograph hunters are banned, and she reserves the right to blackball journalists from unsympathetic news outlets.

But it is Palin's lofty travel demands which have caused most mirth. The once-humble woman-of-the-people now requires all the trappings of a globe-trotting member of the celebrity elite: a fleet of SUVs, rooms in a "deluxe" hotel, and transport on a private jet.

"The private aircraft MUST BE a Lear 60 or larger." When Palin "changes her mind and opts to fly via commercial flights" she will travel first class while staff put up with economy.

The university says the event was exempt from public disclosure laws because it was financed by the Stanislaus Foundation, a fundraising arm of the university.

That argument cuts little ice with California's attorney general, Jerry Brown. With an eye to his attempt to become Democratic governor, he's launched an investigation into the affair.

"This is not about Sarah Palin," Brown said. "The issues are public disclosure and financial accountability."

- INDEPENDENT

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10639032

Last edited:
I saw this too in thursdays LA Times. Whats most unbelievable is that she demanded this from a University just after they had their tuition raised. I am all the students were thrilled to know that their hard earned money went to frivolous expenditures for a ignorant prima donna.

Apparently the school denied that had a contract with her, but 24 hours some students went "dumpster diving" around campus and found the shredded contract the school said didn't exsist. Doh!

I wonder how this latest revelation will work for the "mainstream America" hockey mom.

Of course this isn't the first time she has acted like a DIVA. The staffers from McCain Campaign said she was a handful.

Last edited:
Al of you in foreign countries Do realize that Sarah Palin does NOT represent what we down here in the working class believe in?

Al of you in foreign countries Do realize that Sarah Palin does NOT represent what we down here in the working class believe in?

No but lets be honest here she is being held up as an example of the "real" America by certain elements of the American political spectrum and I think she has tried to sell herself as the average American so why shouldn't her actions be scrutinised based on that marketing?

Ah well, I never did like her. But I am impressed by her commercial skills, which I thought she'd probably lack too. How wrong I am.

Wolfen

Sarah Palin is a typical example of what Holden Caufield (Catcher in the Rye -JD Salinger) referred to as a "phony". But the fact is that although YOU see it and WE see it, there are a lot of very naive people who absolutely think she genuine. All you need to do is check her "friends" page on Facebook if you don't believe me on that one.

Sarah Palin is one of those situations where you cannot decide whether to laugh (because shes a fraud) or cry (because so many pathetic people actually buy her baloney). We had a member her a few weeks ago (Namvet) who tried to convince everyone here of how astute she was. So you are mistaken to think that she doesn't have a following or that working class people dont buy her bull. Many do.

I don't begrudge Palin on this. As the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". -If people are stupid, naive, and ignorant enough actually believe a snakeoil salesmen like Palin then they deserved to get robbed. I do feel sorry for the students of the university who suffered a tuition raise and watch their money being pissed away on a fraud like Palin. I know peopel who voted for McCain specifically because of Palin (not because of McCain).

Still, it is going to stop me from calling a snakeoil salesmen a snakeoil salesmen.

Last edited:
I knew she wasn't genuine from the moment I first saw her standing there with McCain. I also remember my 16 year old looking her up on Google and telling me that if that was the best the Republican party could do then I better hope that the Independents won the election LOL

I didn't vote for McCain because of Palin, I don't think shes qualified for the job, but neither is the one we have so 6 of 1.

but either way I have to agree with you about this stuff . I just hope she doesn't run in 12 or we might just have 4 more years of what we have now. or worse.

The problem I see for Republicans in 2012 is a lack of stand out applicants for the job, they seem to be in a bit of a rut right now.

I guess at the moment the best I can say for Obama is that he appears determined to achieve nothing during his term and its hard to screw things up if you do nothing at all.

Holden Caufield was a pussy.

Most over rated book ever printed. I've read it.

I wonder how much of these revelations are coming from her organised detractors who, unable to engage in rational discourse, continue to hurl rumors and innuendo.

Any mention of Michelle or Nancy's vast entourages and lavish excesses?

I wonder how much of these revelations are coming from her organised detractors who, unable to engage in rational discourse, continue to hurl rumors and innuendo.

I am not sure that matters since neither Michelle or Nancy are selling themselves as the "man of the people", it is not about what they do as much as it is about the person they would have you believe they are.

If Palin was selling herself as a celebrity then her demands would be in line but if she is selling herself as the average "hockey mom" then clearly she would be out of line and I think that translates to how they would act with power.

But the fact remains Palin is a "Phoney". She puts on airs of being representative of middle-class America while lambasting Americas Elites. But she herself is an typical elitist. How many middle-class Americans can afford to be flown around the country in private LearJets to paid somewhere around $12 Million?

Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt came from a very wealthy family but when they were president they didn't pretend to be "of the people". They did prove themselves to be "for the people".

Sarah Palin is neither "of the people" nor "for the people", which is fine but she deserves to be called out for the "phoney" that as she is.

Back