Palin Makes The Case for Someone Else

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point exactly. As you don't have an argument,... just denial.

I just ask myself, would the reverse be true? Would a successful politician make a good military leader?, and I'm afraid I can't convince myself that it would be the case.

There have been cases where retired military men were at least passable politicians, but that is the case with a number of professions. Andrew Johnson for example was a tailor, but that does not in any way support the argument that all Tailors make good Presidents.

Oliver Cromwell??

Personally, with so many of you here, I see no reason to try to write out a long drawn out response when anything written will just be poo pooed. That's fine, makes it easy on me. Don't mistake that as agreement with you and your buddies however.
If you feel that way, why post at all?

Oliver Cromwell??

Yes,... that's why I said, "There have been cases where retired military men were at least passable politicians, but that is the case with a number of professions"

Ollie no doubt had his good points, but I fear he was not all that he was cracked up to be as it was quoted after his funeral.

"Saw the superb funeral of the Protector:...but it was the joyfullest funeral that I ever saw, for there were none that cried, but dogs, which the souldiers hooted away with a barbarous noise; drinking and taking tobacco in the streets as they went."

Topic reminder:
Palin Makes The Case for Someone Else

Please keep it on-topic and (as) civilized (as possible) from now on guys.
thanks

Your post here demonstrates one of the very worst examples of my quote regarding the gullibillity of the voters.

Forget the issues, don't look too hard at the nominees or their policies, get yourself so wound up in the "Razzle dazzle" that you completely miss the point of what is going on.

The "Old Razzle Dazzle" is the very thing that the political parties want people to focus on, and I feel that to post such rubbish in support of your argument is at best somewhat vacuous.

You've shot yourself in the foot I'm afraid, in fact both feet, and perhaps other places as well.

Please! Seno - don't be such a complete potz. That was Irony, remember that? It's the old song from Chicago! I clearly said 'time out guys'. Just trying to lighten things up, not making any political point other than both sides do it at election times.

My boy - I really AM surprised at you!:? Oh, and (irony again, careful) apologies are more than welcome.

Last edited:
Obviously you can't see the inanity of your own post, trying to make light of, and divert an otherwise serious debate. I was very much aware of where you were coming from and I thought it got the reply it so richly deserved.

It did highlight one of the more peculiar aspects of US elections with it's "Razzle Dazzle" designed to get voters "wound up" and distracted from the reality around them.

Actually he does

Hes on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and actually acknowledges the existence of Global Warming. That's two advantages.

Remember McCain is 73 and in bad health. I heard someone mention on TV that based on the past history of previous presidents McCain has a 1 in 3 of NOT surviving his FIRST TERM.

Now the question is do we want someone so close to the most important job in the world with experience and views that are frankly either extremely ignorant or extremely radical.

Most of you in the past complain about extremist liberals viewpoints. I agree, but this is the other extreme and its just as bad. That's what you all don't seem to get.

I don't like extremist on either end of the political extreme. That's why Palin worries me far more than McCain does.

Unfortunately, the average Republican voter doesn't think to hard about this issue.

Yes,... that's why I said, "There have been cases where retired military men were at least passable politicians, but that is the case with a number of professions"

Ollie no doubt had his good points, but I fear he was not all that he was cracked up to be as it was quoted after his funeral.

"Saw the superb funeral of the Protector:...but it was the joyfullest funeral that I ever saw, for there were none that cried, but dogs, which the souldiers hooted away with a barbarous noise; drinking and taking tobacco in the streets as they went."

I read somewhere that after the reformation they dug up his body and formally hanged it! Lovely times!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the average Republican voter doesn't think to hard about this issue.

I don't think it's that so much as both parties have gotten so far right or left of center there is no middle / moderate ground anymore. This leads to people voting for what they consider the lesser of two evils. For alot of moderate's with a conservative outlook the Dem's represent the greatest evil. For moderates with a liberal outlook it's an even harder choice. Me I'm not sure eithier party this time around is fielding the best person in their respective party. I think we need to start over at scratch.

I don't think it's that so much as both parties have gotten so far right or left of center there is no middle / moderate ground anymore. This leads to people voting for what they consider the lesser of two evils. For alot of moderate's with a conservative outlook the Dem's represent the greatest evil. For moderates with a liberal outlook it's an even harder choice. Me I'm not sure eithier party this time around is fielding the best person in their respective party. I think we need to start over at scratch.

This is probably the one saving grace I can see for the MMP system we run (which I dislike) in that you get two votes, one for the candidate of choice and one for the party of choice (the % each party gets determines its proportion of seats in government) I have always voted conservative and yet I really believe that local liberal candidate is the best one for the electorate so I tend to split my vote.

Obviously you can't see the inanity of your own post, trying to make light of, and divert an otherwise serious debate. I was very much aware of where you were coming from and I thought it got the reply it so richly deserved.

It did highlight one of the more peculiar aspects of US elections with it's "Razzle Dazzle" designed to get voters "wound up" and distracted from the reality around them.

Aah - 'inanity' that got a sound response eh? And then you end by admitting that in fact it highlighted election 'razzle dazzle' as in the campaigns of both Obama himself, and Palin. Precisely my point. What's more - it isn't confined to US. The inanity was all yours. Don't dismiss my contributions if you can't grasp them quickly enough.

Get it? Got it? Good. :)

Last edited:
I grasp them it is the fact they are so shallow in cases such as this as to be hardly worth comment other than mild scorn.

Nobody ever stated that Razzle dazzle was confined purely to the US, but having said that, I must say they have made an art form of it to a degree seen no where else in the world that I am aware of.

And no, I don't get "it" Your "contribution in this case was both inane and off topic, and at best, baiting.

And no, I don't get "it" Your "contribution in this case was both inane and off topic, and at best, baiting.

First of all, kindly stop accusing me of 'baiting' you. First , I wouldn't waste my time, and secondly, how could a friendly, 'time out guys post, which consisted of a relevant, non-partisan view of the modern election process, be described as off-topic or inane, particularly as the thread contributers had just been requested to cool it. So it was also timely.

You need to bear in mind that this is not all about you, that not all posts are aimed at you, that you should hold back on the self-important rants, and develop your sense of humour. If you find me shallow, then feel free to leave me alone.

Apart from that I have no problem with your attitude, my old friend.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Sorry to have gone in so hard. Over it now. I am happy to leave the last word to you. Take your best shot, I'm braced.:cool:

An answer such as you gave could be nothing less than baiting. It was neither timely, humourous, serious nor relevant, what other possible reason could there be?

Just so you understand. The question is rhetorical.

I grasp them it is the fact they are so shallow in cases such as this as to be hardly worth comment other than mild scorn.

Nobody ever stated that Razzle dazzle was confined purely to the US, but having said that, I must say they have made an art form of it to a degree seen no where else in the world that I am aware of.

It will be interesting to see how long the Palin popularity bubble lasts, we have seen this often in the past when a "marketable" candidate appears on the scene (Clarke was a good example of this) the polls jump one way but as time goes on substance replaces popularity and the fall off the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back