Palin enters debate over Ground Zero Mosque

--

July 19th, 2010  
Rob Henderson

Topic: Palin enters debate over Ground Zero Mosque

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/201...politico/39899

After a lot of careful consideration on this, and bearing in mind the fact that this mosque IS 2 blocks away from Ground Zero, not actually ON it, I've decided that it's okay in my book. I know a lot of people (especially on this particular forum) will feel differently, but, as one comment reminded me, we are at war with Islamic extremists, not Islam. Thoughts? I'd especially like to hear from NYC native, mmarsh, on this one. Does a Muslim YMCA (basically what this place boils down to) so close to Ground Zero sit well with you?
July 19th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Yes it should be allowed.
Unless we really want to make it into a war against Islam.
July 20th, 2010  
Sevens

I'm really torn on this. As you said, its a war against Islamic extremists, not Islam itself. But that close to Ground Zero....it just feels wrong to me. I'm interested to hear (or read rather) what some of you have to say on this topic.
--
July 20th, 2010  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
Yes it should be allowed.
Unless we really want to make it into a war against Islam.
Exactly. I fear that not allowing this would undo some, if not all, of the work President Obama has been doing to salvage US relationships with the Islamic people of the world.

Sevens- I had my uncertainties, but I think since it's not actually using Ground Zero as a site, that they should be okay.
July 20th, 2010  
Sevens

I guess.....but it still feels wrong to me for it to be so close to Ground Zero. But I'll read the pros and cons with an open mind, and then see if I feel any different.
July 20th, 2010  
Rob Henderson

Well for one thing, think about the repercussions if we DON'T allow it....
July 20th, 2010  
A Can of Man

I guess I'll just put it this way: We can't say that the US is not engaged in a war against Islam and that Islam is protected under the freedom of religion IF this mosque is not allowed to go up.
If it is allowed to be built, it would serve as a very strong counter argument against those who try to claim that the US is fighting a war against Islam.
July 20th, 2010  
Sevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Henderson
Well for one thing, think about the repercussions if we DON'T allow it....
Like I said, I'm going to read the pros and cons with an open mind and then decide where I stand.
July 20th, 2010  
sky2979

Setting my emotions aside,.. I dont see a prob. w/it...that's the beauty about America....you have rights, and a voice that can be heard without the fear of being killed on the spot...
July 20th, 2010  
mmarsh

First a correction: Its not a Mosque its a Islamic community center that contains a prayer space. It also contains lecture halls, exhibit space a culinary school, a gym and a swimming pool. Yes, very much like a YMCA which are built for Christians.

This all reminds me of the internment camps of Japanese-Americans during WWII which was one of the worst injustices our nation ever committed.

Muslims did not attack the WTC, terrorists did. Not all terrorists are Muslim and not all Muslims are terrorists. Almost all Muslims living in America are either citizens ro permanent residents. My parents apartment is directly across the street from a mosque, in the 40 years they have lived there the mosque nor the worshipers has never posed any problem aside from finding a parking spot on noon Fridays.

We cannot collectively punish one sector of our society because of the actions of a small few, whom were not even American and were in the country illegally. Nor, as 13th Redneck astutely pointed out do we want to play directly into terrorist propaganda. If we go ahead and allow a Mosque to be built on the 9-11 site it severely undermines the credibility of al-Qaeda claim of the U.S being at war against Islam.

What I do find highly offensive however is a self-absorbed carpetbagger sticking her nose in a LOCAL affair that is strictly none of her business in order to bolster her political credibility amongst the lunatic fringe. New York does not like Sarah Palin. We don't like her views, her bizarre family, or her personally. She is not a New Yorker, and she is really not that welcome in NY due to her past remarks when she suggested that people who don't share her views (who were typically those on the coasts) were not "Real" Americans. Well Fu** you Eva Braun, I'd tell her to go back to Alaska but apparently she isn't much liked there either.

The fact is Sarah Palin doesn't like New York, (which is fine, the feeling is most mutual) and I don't find her concern genuine except of how it relates to her campaign. So we really don't appreciate her raking ethnic tensions and reopening old wounds in my hometown all for the sake of her 2012 campaign political grandstanding. If New York decides to build this center (which it has) its none of that political *****'s business. We are trying to mend fences in NYC between all the ethnicities and religions in NYC, and it isn't easy. We don't need Palin making things worse.
She talks about healing as if she knew anything about it. The only people who need healing are the people who were there, and we certainly don't need it from her. If she is TRULY concerned about healing after 9-11 then she should STFU and leave us be.