Palestinians to seek full U.N. membership: Abbas (Reuters)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
Reuters - President Mahmoud Abbas said on Friday he would demand full membership of the United Nations for a Palestinian state when he goes to the U.N. General Assembly next week, setting up a diplomatic clash with Israel and the United States.

More...

Clearly they will not get "full membership" due to American politics but it will be interesting to see how the world will vote on "nonmember observer status".

Personally I think the only chance of ending this idiocy would be to give them full membership.

One of the reasons that the Palestinians will never get full membership is because they would keep directing the attention of the world, to the the number of UN Resolutions that the Israelis have violated or refused to comply with (more than the total for all members combined), and blatant violations of International Law.

I find the US attitude on this somewhat poor, it is one thing to tell a dodgy country that if they don't clean up their act they will cut aid but to use aid to threaten a people into not seeking freedom, self determination or independence I am really not enthusiastic about.

I really don't know that I see any justifiable reason to maintain the power of veto if it is going to be used in such ways and by nations that are clearly biased in their approach.

i think that they should get it, i mean no offence 2 jews n israelis but dey did takeover the land in 48
n millions were displaced
look at the horrors of the bombings and the refugee camps. they deserve it not all palestnians r terrorists

I think this is kind of interesting...

Global poll: 49% in favor of Palestinian state
BBC poll of 19 nations shows more people support Palestinian bid for UN recognition than oppose it
Ynet Reporters
Published: 09.19.11, 09:44 / Israel News

A global poll conducted by the BBC shows that more people support United Nations recognition of an independent Palestinian state than oppose it. According to the poll, which surveyed 20,446 people across 19 nations, 49% were in favor of the Palestinian bid, while 21% said the proposal should be voted down. Some 30% abstained from taking sides.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4124048,00.html

The Palestinian plan about full membership in the UN will be faced with a veto from USA, and ends up dead in the water.
Thats evident and expected, but a recognized observer status is well within reach.

Even that would seriously hamper the Israeli ability to behave like they want in the Palestinian territories without restraints.

Back