Pakistan -- oh great, just what we needed ...

godofthunder9010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Pakistani_state_of_emergency

So Pakistan is now under a "State of Emergency" which appears to have been imposed because the Pakistani Supreme Court may have been about to rule against President Musharraf's eligibility to run in the recent election. This may have seen him removed from office.

Of course, the official reason stated by Musharraf for declaring a state of emergency was "escalating terrorist activities throughout Pakistan" or such.

So now we're looking at one of the USA's best partners and allies in our War on Terror (at the very least, they still work with us) ... creating an internal scandal. Of course, the USA can't condemn such actions.

Is this likely to have a significant impact on US efforts? Is this just business as usual?

Pakistan is a real bureaucratic nightmare. Basically you have the choice of

1. A military Dictatorship under Musharaff who uses fixed elections and police powers to make sure Democracy stays out. This wont last, he will either be overthrown or assassinated.

2. A crook and a bungler (Bhutto) who when she was last President managed to skim $1 Billion off a very poor country and live a very luxurious lifestyle in Dubai and London in exile.

3. Another Bungler and corrupt crook (Sharif), who escaped in bribery makes the US Congress look like the boy-scouts.

4. And finally the Radical Clergy and Jihadists who refuse to life in the 14th century let alone the 21st. Coupled by the fact the Pakistan is a nuclear armed nation.

And as the cherry on the top of the cake, A American Government too weak and stupid to handle anything right and whose reputation is worthless due to its own arrogance and obstenance.

O boy, what a list of choices we got.

Well, first of all, we know very well that Pakistan has been a , if not the, major source of the islamist terrorism we are facing. Certainly, we have had our home-grown terrorists trawled and trained in their Madrassas. The President has been between a rock and a hard place for a long time, trying to maintain stability. It is surely not his hunger for power that motivates him, but a soldier's responsibility to the future of his country. I feel that the longer the Army is able to hold the line the better. We need time - not another Iran with a great big nuke. Big -up The President, I say.

Bhutto is busily playing the opportunist, The President is our best bet.

Wasn't Musharraf just supposed to let go of his military power and "just" become the president. And by declaring the state of emergency he tries to cling on to this. In my opinion he should be pressed into relinquishing his military powers. If this still resolves the problem.. I don't know.

In my opinion - if Musharraf goes - Pakistan goes. Islamist chaos will reign, we've seen all this before. He stabilises Pakistan or over it goes.

In my opinion - if Musharraf goes - Pakistan goes. Islamist chaos will reign, we've seen all this before. He stabilises Pakistan or over it goes.

But he isn't stabilizing Pakistan, the fact he is in power is DEstablizing the country. The worst that could happen is that he is overthrown or killed by the Jihadists. That scenario is looking increasingly likely as time goes on. The military is go angry with Musharaf some of the lower ranks are actually joining the terrorists.

Bhutto isn't a great choice, in fact in a ideal world she would be in jail for embezzlement. But she is pro-west and anti-fundamentalist and unlike Musharaff she is popular within the country. That should stablize the country at least in the short term. The question is can she stabilize the country in the long term without being assassinated.

mmarsh - I would be pleased if you were proved right in your take on this.
I'd like to buy your version of Bhutto but can she cut the mustard . Does Pakistan need military strength of mind at the moment.? If so, will a replacement do better that Musharraf? Can a lid be kept on this one? Can Pakistan be stopped from becoming a terrorist state?

Who can save Pakistan and the nuke?

And if not HIM, WHO? Would Bhutto + army do the job?

Remember The Alamo! No, that's not it.
Ah, yes - remember Iran and the Peacock throne.

Screw that. Just put in another dictator.

That'll work about as well as the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

What i'm afraid of is the Pakistani government falling into disarray, in similar fashion to the end of the communist regimes in the late 1980s-early 1990s (i.e. Yugoslavia) where the nation throws itself into a civil war. Then, there will be nothing stopping Iran from just waltzing right in. The US won't be able to intervene because they will still be tied up in Iraq preventing Iran from entering there. And I am truly afraid of a cuckoo such as Ahmenijihad with a big bomb. I also don't trust the Taliban, or the fundamentalists, or any of the other potential takers over. And, as Del Boy points out, the Pakistanis like the Americans about as much as the Iranians do-- we've propped up their puppet dicator for years.

But the big question: How do we get the bomb out of there?

Why don't you stop sitting on the fence?

I'm open to suggestion.
If you give me an argument and back it up, like the one about Obama not saluting the flag, well and good, I'll agree with you.
If you can't give me anything I can buy and someone who actually DISAGREES with me initially gives a pretty good argument, I'll buy that person's argument.
This what we have here are discussions, not office politics. I understand that in the "real world" in most cases you'll just have to pick a side and stick with it. Here, I want to see who is more right and who is less wrong.
And Del Boy, on most things we tend to stand on the same side of the line, it should be easier for you to convince me on most ideas than it would take mmarsh, who I in many more cases, disagree.
What I don't like are stubborn people who won't change their minds no matter how obviously wrong they are.

But the big question: How do we get the bomb out of there?

Plant remote trigger. Let terrorists get their hands on it. Blow it up. Say they screwed up and blew it up prematurely.
Too much "24"

Last edited:
I'm open to suggestion.
If you give me an argument and back it up, like the one about Obama not saluting the flag, well and good, I'll agree with you.
If you can't give me anything I can buy and someone who actually DISAGREES with me initially gives a pretty good argument, I'll buy that person's argument.

Sorry Redneck - I was not making a serious point, just having a joke at your positive take. No disapproval intended!
I did put the smiley up.!

As it happens, they always seem to end up with dictators in any case, of all political colours. They do seem to love a big powerful Sadaam!

Last edited:
Screw that. Just put in another dictator.

Wow, I must have missed the part of freedom for all, justice, equality etc. As far as I know these aren't the prime character traits of dictatorship. What is the US fighting for again in that part of the world again?

Wow, I must have missed the part of freedom for all, justice, equality etc. As far as I know these aren't the prime character traits of dictatorship. What is the US fighting for again in that part of the world again?

I give up. What's the answer?

I give up. What's the answer?

Sorry mate, I wish I had the answer. I hope I didn't lead you to believe I knew the answer, merely that I can't follow the train of thought. Democracy and dictators don't go together well. Since some claim the US is bringing the first and don't understand the latter....

But if you want to know what I suspect as being the answer I'd say something geopolitical or energy resources-like... But that is just my tuppence worth.

Back